SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Remember little Davey Hogg from down the block?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remember little Davey Hogg from down the block? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
...unless there's a fire.

Posts: 107699 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Well, there HAS been a well known Hogg in politics before. Maybe he can run on name recognition in Hazzard County?

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a kid I went to HD with that was a lot like Hogg, in too many ways including the delusions of granduer...Last time I checked he was selling Fords

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd bet that most politicians started out as loud mouth little shits that wanted to control others from the time they ran for student council in 7th grade.

DH got a lot of air time, and is particularly obnoxious, but I bet he isn't all that unique.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
Well, there HAS been a well known Hogg in politics before. Maybe he can run on name recognition in Hazzard County?

More than one. Who can forget James “Big Jim” Hogg who was 20th Governor of Texas. Jim Hogg County is named for him.

His daughter Ima was a influential supporter of University of Texas. Her mansion is still in use, now part of the campus.

Her sister Ura is urban legend.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:

More than one. Who can forget James “Big Jim” Hogg who was 20th Governor of Texas. Jim Hogg County is named for him.

His daughter Ima was a influential supporter of University of Texas. Her mansion is still in use, now part of the campus.

I taught school in Ellis County and they are legends there. In my Texas History course the kids would write an essay on the Hogg family and interestingly Ima and Ura were quite beautiful ladies.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3592 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:

I taught school in Ellis County and they are legends there. In my Texas History course the kids would write an essay on the Hogg family and interestingly Ima and Ura were quite beautiful ladies.

From Texas State Historical Association Link

quote:
Texas legend has it that James Stephen Hogg, Governor of Texas from 1890 to 1894, named his daughters Ima and Ura, but that is only half-true: there never was a Ura. Ima had three brothers, Will, Mike, and Tom. Ima Hogg, who was born in 1882 and died in 1975 at age 93, became a legend in her own right, and this book is her story. It is also the story of the extraordinary bond between a father and a daughter.
James Stephen Hogg, who worked his way from a hardscrabble life in the piney woods of East Texas to the Governor's Mansion in Austin, was a giant in Texas politics, both literally (standing six feet three inches tall and weighing close to 300 pounds) and figuratively, as the champion of the "little people" against big business in the 1890s. He adored his daughter, and after his wife, Sallie Stinson Hogg, died of tuberculosis in 1895, Ima and her father drew even closer. Jim Hogg, a widower in his 40's with four children--Will, 20; Ima, 13, Mike, 10, and Tom, 8--left politics to practice law in Austin, and Ima became the "sunshine" of her father's household.
While Ima attended the University of Texas and then studied music in New York City, ex-Governor Hogg pursued business interests, and was one of the early investors in the Texas oil boom after the Spindletop gusher in 1901. He was not a rich man when he died in 1906, but the old plantation he bought in Brazos County near West Columbia would eventually produce oil that would make Ima and her brothers wealthy.
The Hogg children lived well, but they also devoted part of their time and money to the enrichment of the educational and cultural life of Texas. Will gave generously to the University of Texas, his alma mater, and to many other institutions, such as the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, and the Houston YMCA. “Miss Ima,” as she was known (she never married), founded the Houston Symphony, served on the Houston School Board, established the Hogg Foundation for Mental Health, and restored several historic Texas buildings, including the house at the Varner-Hogg Historic Site, which had been her father's beloved country home. In 1966 she gave her own house, filled with the priceless Early American art and furniture she had collected, as the Bayou Bend Collection of the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. Thousands of people visit Bayou Bend every year, and this book describes its history, as well as that of an extraordinary Texas woman.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
The urban legend of Ura was always a fun point to discuss. One of my students found a history of Ellis County and it had a picture of the two daughters and named them.
It was a great exercise for them to try to separate fact from fiction. Was Ura real or not? Then who was in the picture? It was fun and engaging for them.

This was in the 90's so it pre-dated wikipedia and our school didnt even have internet. That came later with a TIF grant.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3592 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Not smart enough to get into college...no grasp of reality...flips out when he doesn't get his way...sounds like a perfect candidate for Democrats.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
Not smart enough to get into college...no grasp of reality...flips out when he doesn't get his way...sounds like a perfect candidate for Democrats.

Are we sure he is not a Chuckie Schumer clone?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Yo, Davey! When's puberty, pard?

He's trying! He's just waiting for the other one to drop.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest ole Davey broaden his horizons a bit more before attempting to run for office. Maybe he could bike through Afghanistan... Wink

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe he can get a Junior Detective badge from the local P.D.

Posts: 7021 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I know some things, and others not so much, but I do know this: David Hogg's parents have royally fucked up. What a worthless shit stain that kid is. I hope his parents cry at the thought of their little loser, and what he has become.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I know some things, and others not so much, but I do know this: David Hogg's parents have royally fucked up. What a worthless shit stain that kid is. I hope his parents cry at the thought of their little loser, and what he has become.

Perhaps his parents are just like he is!!! Sometime the apple doesn't fall very far from the tree........they may be very proud of the little shit!!

Posts: 6629 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:

Some days ya just can't even cram it into second....even if ya double clutch it.

I caught it. Wink

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

Perhaps his parents are just like he is!!! Sometime the apple doesn't fall very far from the tree........they may be very proud of the little shit!!

Read the original linked NY article and the way his mother describes him, it reads like the classic teenager of being too smart for his own good while being full of shit. The longer their tour goes for, the more he believes himself to be the Pied Piper.

Posts: 14683 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post