SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Huge (no kidding) weapons seizure by Spanish police
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Huge (no kidding) weapons seizure by Spanish police Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
Are the rifles with green forearms in the last row before the wooden stocked rifles SIG 551s? If so, by my count there are over 150 in the picture and knowing their likely fate makes me sad.

There are a bunch of Ma Deuces in the lower right of the picture. and a bunch of FALs in the center.

quote:
bbc.com: Pictured: Huge weapons haul seized by Spanish police

Spanish Police have released striking pictures of a huge weapons haul seized from an organised crime group.

It includes over 10,000 assault rifles, machine guns, pistols, revolvers, and 400 shells and grenades.

The guns and ammunition were seized in January during an operation against firearms trafficking.

Investigators also found an illegal workshop with machinery to manipulate and reactivate weapons, near Bilbao. Five people were arrested.

Cash amounting to 80,000 euros (£70,000 / $85,000) was seized.

Police say the guns could easily have made their way onto the black market

The operation involved counter-terror police from Madrid, Bilbao, Valencia and Gerona.

Europol, which supported the investigation, said the firearms were sold in Spain, France and Belgium.

It said some of the weapons were deactivated, but did not comply with established standards.

Criminals acquired the arsenal largely through auctions and other legal channels before reactivating it.

The gang had been using a sports shop as a front for its distribution centre - which in reality sold firearms, weapon components and ammunition.

Police said the weapons would have had an easy journey onto the black market, and into the hands of terrorists or organised crime groups.

Europol said firearms traffickers exploit legal loopholes and legislative differences between EU countries to divert guns from legal suppliers.

Reactivating deactivated weapons is one of Europe's main sources of illegal guns.

The agency said it had seen a significant increase in the number being supplied to criminals since 2014.

Another picture.

That is easily $40M in collectible guns (on the US market) that will become rebar.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31419 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Interesting how they stack them up. I want that one second from the bottom. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I like those square stacks also. I'd probably stockpile my yearly cache of Sam Adams cases inside one of the square firearms stacks. Hide it, you know.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
Now THAT, is an 'arsenal' or a 'cache'.

MSM should take note.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
When 2 overhead photos cannot cover your stockpile, you truly do have an arsenal.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Very sad.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like a bunch of Beretta AR 70's too.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That is an actual arsenal. Impressive.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
That is an actual arsenal. Impressive.
The press calls EVERYTHING an arsenal, they were bound to get it right sooner or later. Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6209 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I'm going to probably lose my PayPal deposit now.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Hey... that's my basement

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
All them guns and not one box of ammo? Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
All them guns and not one box of ammo? Smile

The ammo storage building is beside that one.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3639 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Wow. Interesting mish-mash.

The machine gun on the elevated mount towards the center of the second photo is a WW2-era Czech ZB-53 in 7.92x57mm (aka 8mm Mauser).

The ZB-53 was actually used by both sides during World War 2.

The Germans used captured Czech ZB-53s, known as the MG-37(t), which were fielded mostly by the Waffen-SS. (The SS were constantly competing against the German military proper to obtain sufficient quantities of standard issue German rifles and machine guns for their troops, and commonly had to resort to substitute standard armaments like this.)

It was also one of the standard machine guns for German's ally Romania:

The British produced a licensed copy of the ZB-53, known as the Besa, which was primarily mounted on armored vehicles. It was the standard machine gun on WW2 British-made tanks. Interestingly, the British Besas remained chambered in the original 8mm Mauser, which ended up allowing British tanks to utilize captured German rifle/MG ammunition, and the Germans to use captured British tank MG ammo.

The Chinese purchased several hundred ZB-53s from Czechoslovakia before the war, which ended up being put to use against the Japanese.

The seized ZB-53 in the article's photo is mounted on an anti-aircraft tripod:

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Brings a tear to my eye.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Are the rifles with green forearms in the last row before the wooden stocked rifles SIG 551s?

Nope - CETME LCs. Think HKG33-type 5.56 rifles with collapsible stocks and cruuuude rear sights.

Which almost certainly didn't come through the 'legal channels' the article was talking about - those things were Spanish military issue until Spain switched over to a variant of the G36. Apparently Spain is also one of those countries where civilians can have .222 Remingtons, but not 5.56x45s.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Maybe we could see a surge in the parts kits market. I'm sure Spain could use the money.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcat:
Now THAT, is an 'arsenal' or a 'cache'.

MSM should take note.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition! That is an arsenal even by Sigforum standards. Dayyum!

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23194 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rapido y furioso !

Jim

Posts: 1348 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8862 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post