SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Binoculars for short-range use?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Binoculars for short-range use? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Good afternoon, all.

I'm looking for advice on some short-range binoculars. Why short-range? Our maintenance guys have a tough time following conduit runs across our plant ceiling, and are thinking binoculars would be a good thing. [Obviously] we can't go super high-dollar, and we aren't looking for something super high-tech.

Who's got some suggestions? Thanks, all.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Seems to me a camera with a telephoto lens, taking a picture, and tracing the cables at your desk might be a better way to do this rather than trying to trace cables by eye.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Perhaps a pair of Vortex Raptors 8.5x32 only $129 MSRP and can focus to 15 feet. Guess it depends on how high your shop ceiling is. Other than that I would look for a lower magnification, perhaps 4X with a bigger objective to let more light in, but typically you don't get those to together.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
For a little better clarity the Vortex Diamondback HD 8x32 would be my choice.

https://vortexoptics.com/vorte...8x32-binoculars.html

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
What you need is these
Pentax Papilio II short-range binoculars

I bought a pair for my wife to use looking at flowers and butterflies, and they work great for that.
They focus as close as 50 cm (about 1.5 ft.)

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree, Pentax Papilio II 6.5x21 would be good to buy for a trial run.

Posts: 425 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I opted for Leupold Mesa's 10x32. Armored and 100% waterproof!

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Seems to me a camera with a telephoto lens, taking a picture, and tracing the cables at your desk might be a better way to do this rather than trying to trace cables by eye.

Photos are great, until you get back to your desk and find out that you needed to move just a little bit to the left to get the best angle for viewing that particular conduit. (Ask me how I know....) Sometimes there's no replacement for just getting out there and tracing it down.

Laser pointers also help with this task.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What you need is these
Pentax Papilio II short-range binoculars

Second these. Bought Pentax Papilio II 6.5x21 for my mom when she went hospice. They focus down real close and have superb imaging. You can see the individual feathers of a hummingbird 8 feet away. Impressive beasts. (I have craploads of binocs, but these would likely be the best for your application)

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you, guys. At $125 or so, I can easily make that purchase for my crew no-questions-asked.

Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depending on the problem and type of cabling there is test equipment available.

Cable test equipment

Posts: 425 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^ Thank you for that link.

Our trouble right now is that there's so much stuff hanging up there after 22 years or so of company growth.

I'd love to have a lot of time and a fat budget for pulling it all down and reinstalling it more neatly....

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
How far do you need to look? Would a 6x rangefinder work? Those can be had for $150 bucks

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post