SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Opinion on stolen guns, and home alarm question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinion on stolen guns, and home alarm question Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
The thread asking if anyone still displays guns in their home got me thinking about the effectiveness of home alarm systems. Original thread: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4410053254

Most of my guns are securely locked up, but I do have my dad's wood and glass gun case, with a few guns in it, out where it can be seen (not from outside the house). I have a good home alarm system, with cellular backup, live in a "good" neighborhood with some private police patrol, and I'm frankly not that worried about it.

My first question is asking if anyone has any firsthand experience, or knowledge of, successful residential burglaries of a house with a good, monitored alarm system. Is my sense of security a false one?

Secondly, I wouldn't personally feel any associated guilt if a gun was stolen. It's an inanimate object, not an evil thing. I feel like if someone wants a gun they can buy one, legally or illegally. They can just as easily use the money from the jewelry, electronics, etc., that they steal to buy a gun. Why am I responsible for any uses of a stolen gun? I'm not talking about complete carelessness, mind you, but from a locked car or a locked house.

Question:
Do you feel that a gunowner has any responsibility for the uses of a gun that was stolen from him/her?

Choices:
Yes, a gun is a dangerous instrumentality that warrants extra security so that it doesn't fall into the hands of a criminal.
No, I'm not responsible for the actions of a thief.

Posts: 3440 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I voted "not responsible." But I would still feel bad if a gun was stolen from me and I felt I could have done more to prevent it. So my firearms are always locked in the safe when nobody's home, and rarely left in an unattended automobile--particularly if said automobile is to be out of my sight for more than a few moments.

A gun case, in this day-and-age, would be a non-starter for me.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted no. Disclaimer: Unless reckless or negligent conduct or actions allow a gun to fall into the hands of a child.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The criminal is responsible for the use of a stolen gun and the act of stealing one but I don't want to have any part in that happening.
I also don't advertise to anyone that doesn't need to know, that I'm a gun owner and don't have any guns that I feel a need to display.

Posts: 9535 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Do what you can and have insurance just in case. No matter how well you secure it there is always someone that can get in if they really want to. No matter the precautions gun stores continue to get broken into, most houses would be easier to get into. And I accept no responsibility for a firearm stolen from me. I take precautions to prevent theft but I can’t control other people.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I think there's an element of due diligence when it comes to securing guns. Note that this does not imply making your home and impregnable fortress. If you keep your house locked and have an alarm (and use it), I would consider that you've satisfied any level of reasonable due diligence when it comes to securing weapons from theft.

If someone has minor children in the house, I'd consider that there is a separate level of due diligence in securing guns from access by the kids.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing a few gun display cases (though my parents always kept them locked in a safe or a built in locked cabinet) when I was younger. It saddens me to think that a gun display case would just not be prudent these days. Mine are all locked up or on my person, except at night when one goes from on my person to a “ready location.” It saddens me because it seems to show our culture losing ground.

To answer your question, if I didn’t do what I could to secure my firearms, I’d feel guilty about it if they were stolen. Probably shouldn’t as it is the thief who is responsible, but there is this notion of contributory negligence. If I had a house on a busy street where anyone walking or driving by could see into my living room and I had a glass fronted gun display case prominently visible in the living room, the thief would still be responsible, but I’d be pretty stupid for pretty much inviting the theft.

Posts: 6922 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
I have 35 years of experience in private sector electronic security. The only time I have personally seen a residential system "Professionally" hit was when the homeowner presented an exceptional target.

One was a high end jewelry retailer with multiple stores that carried his name. Another was a homeowner that ran an entertainment venue that did large cash volumes and closed late at night in a rural area with no banks nearby. In both instances their public profile made them appear to be low hanging fruit. Not the typical smash and grab drug fueled crime of opportunity. (Neither was successfully defeated).

That said, you can't protect three of your five doors and hope for the best. The industry is driven by package sales, such a 5 doors, a motion detector and two key fobs for very little money up front. Many people get sticker shock on the up charges to add the additional devices to properly protect their home and they start making compromises. Not the time to be making shortcuts.

If someone got in to my properly secured home and stole a gun later used in a crime I don't think I wold feel responsible. If I had left one in my car in the driveway then I think I would feel differently.

Posts: 1634 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post