SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is the Mercedes Benz of Front Load Washer/Dryers?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the Mercedes Benz of Front Load Washer/Dryers? Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted
Review for Maytag appliances seem consistently good on HomeDepot.com.

How do we feel about Maytag vs other brands like Electrolux, GE, etc?

We're buying this as a gift for some wealthy clients, so brand appeal has some factor in the decision making. But, it's being put into a part time home so we don't want to go all out and spend too much.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Miele makes nice high end stuff.

https://www.mieleusa.com/domes...ng-machines-1561.htm

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Not a new concept,I went to work selling washers in 1970,we had them.
They always got picked up in a few weeks,small loads clothes beat the hell up,pissed off wives when the tidi witi whites were frade .
The one selling point was the water saving feature ,like 14 gallon verses 45 gallons
That was not the fashion to have your levi's stressed way back then

Posts: 22411 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Bosch makes good stuff as well.

Posts: 8151 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
Do a little research on Speed Queen, its the only washer and dryer I plan on purchasing.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
Sorry not much help. Our GE washer and dryer more likely compare to Chevy Malibu. Functional but not that awfully deluxe.

Posts: 1959 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by isthatasiginyourpocket:
Do a little research on Speed Queen, its the only washer and dryer I plan on purchasing.

Speed Queen I hear are nice, but not very luxe. And they only offer top load for home washers.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
Bosch makes good stuff as well.

+1 on Bosch

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
You want a front load washer/dryer with a gagillion bells, buttons, and whistles that lasts until the warranty is up. After which, it requires parts that cost three times what parts for other vehicles cost and a repair person with whom you are on a first name basis and see more often than your kids.

Can't help you with that. We've had a Maytag pair for 11 years now that have never seen a repair person.

Posts: 11017 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Whirlpool Washer & Dryer with no electronics is still going good after 22 years. Only me for 8yr & my wife & I for 14 more.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4283 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I, too, hold a low opinion of front load washers. They seem to be an inherently flawed concept because they become unbalanced so easily due to the effect of gravity. Run unbalanced and they beat their bearings to shit. If you load it full enough to not become unbalanced, your clothes come out in a tangled knot. At least these have been my experiences with Kenmores built by Whirlpool and LG.

And you get to buy a new one every 3 or 4 years. But hey, you save maybe $400 on water over the 3 year life of the $800-1000 washer!

Posts: 26942 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by isthatasiginyourpocket:

Speed Queen I hear are nice, but not very luxe. And they only offer top load for home washers.

Speed Queen has a stackable unit with a front load washer. Maybe not something for you, but it's an option they offer -

https://www.speedqueen.com/pro...er-dryers/models/SF7

Posts: 4988 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We're happy with our new Maytag set of front loaders. First Maytag front load washer went 13 years or so. AS for problems with the front loaders, we just haven't had them. Clothes come out clean, nothing destroyed, no bad smells.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had a Kenmore Elite front loader for 13 years with no problems. It will, from time to time, move itself around. Just a little... YMMV

Posts: 869 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
M&B of a washer / dryer is a maid who does it all for you. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
We've had a Maytag front loader for about 6-7 years now and it has worked perfectly.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5053 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
The Mercedes of washers looks really nice, but it costs $200 to change the lint trap and throws a check motor light if you look at it sideways. You'll also be on a first name basis with Klaus, the service technician. He'll happily explain the fault is yours for using those cheap house brand fabric softener sheets instead of the good kind.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
Speed Queen front load laundry is an available this year. The top loads are available.
Bosch is good stuff but only has 24” front load laundry.
The Maytag has great reviews. The new Electrolux 627 series has a three pump system that mixes the soap and water before putting the mixture on the closets. It also has pod dispenser that works pretty good.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
The Mercedes of washers looks really nice, but it costs $200 to change the lint trap and throws a check motor light if you look at it sideways. You'll also be on a first name basis with Klaus, the service technician. who explains the problem is your fault for using those cheap house brand fabric softener sheets instead of the good kind.

100% accurate.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We bought a pair of Speed Queens about 9 months ago. They do a good job cleaning in a short time with pretty aggressive action. The dryer is slow and takes a lot longer than the washer cycle. There is no audible signal when either machine is done. The washer spin speed is not very fast so the clothes come out really wet and that makes them take a long time to dry. The washer uses a lot of water. The pair will set you back about 2 grand. I hope they are durable amd it is too soon to know that.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post