SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    TV and Stero receiver help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TV and Stero receiver help Login/Join 
posted
I have 4 speakers, basically gifted to me. They are very good quality and I have a newer HDMI TV.

The speakers are Left, Right, Center and floor base with an internal Amp.

I don't know much about Receivers but I want one to power these speakers and be able to run the TV through them. I also want the DVD/CD player to play through this receiver.

Would you please guide me to something basic but no junk.

Thank you

Posts: 787 | Registered: April 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Maybe start with a specific list of your equipment.

Then what if anything you have done or your concerns.

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
What make and model TV?
What make and model is your DVD/CD player?
What make an model are your speakers?

You are missing at least 2 speakers for basic surround sound.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
THere are a ton of options from a lot of manufacturers. Sure as shit as soon as you buy something there will be a newer technology or feature coming out!

We have a Denon brand AV receiver. Everything runs through it, and it connects to the tv. So the TV is really just a big screen to display the picture, whereas all the audio comes from the receiver out to the speakers. This is a common setup using an AV receiver which processes video as well as audio.

We have a turntable, CD player, Blu-Ray player, and AppleTV running into the receiver. We could also have cable TV but we don't have cable service. Depending on your equipment you would either run the tv source first to the receiver which would be connected to the tv (probably via HDMI), or you would take the audio out from the tv and send it to the receiver (cable box hooked directly to your tv).

Surround sound formats use 5 speakers usually, which are front L and R, center, and rear L and R. You can have a subwoofer also but it isn't required. Modern receivers will have Surround Sound and other formats available but you aren't forced to use them.

I think your first step is to really understand what you have and exactly how you envision using it. Then start reading reviews on different brands of receivers to see what will do what you want vs the price points.

I am very happy with our Denon product which is now 3 years old.

Posts: 9451 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The L, R and Center are a set of Polk Audio bookcase type speakers. Smaller but sound amazing. The L and R will run bi Amp.

The base is about 14 to 16 inches square with the speaker facing the floor and its Klipsch brand.

The TV is 50" VIZIO from Walmart and 2 years old.

The items gifted to me came with a Yamaha receiver and it played a few hours and quit. It was great and we loved it but it was 10 years old and so I unplugged it and figured I would buy a new one.

That's when it hit me I was lost as to what to do.

The knowledge base on here is overwhelming so I turned here for help.

Is this enough information to help me?

I know I want the TV to play sound through the speakers and the CD/DVD player as well.

I'm not trying for surround sound just something better than a boom box and that basic TV speaker.

And using what I have.

Thank again for the help.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I believe the reason folks were looking for both make and model of TV, CD/DVD, DVR, cable box etc. is you're going to need to make sure that the connection types, and number of each as needed, will allow you to set up what you want.

Most connections are HDMI these days and most any decent A/V receiver will have several for inputs, one or more for output and any TV made in last 20 years should have at least one input to be able to connect the receiver to TV. Receiver will also need at least as many, and type of, speaker outputs as you set up now or might want down the road. Yamaha is a good brand and easy to set up.

As long as you have HDMI outputs from all your desired sources, and enough inputs in whatever receiver you get, you'll be fine on that end. Run everything to receiver, then HDMI output from receiver to TV, speaker cables to speakers and you're going to be good for what it sounds like your level of complexity/need is.

You can always expand and enhance from there.

Do not be snookered into fancy high-price cables, basic will do. And DO find a way to easily control main sources without a stack of remotes or you, and especially a spouse if you have one, will hate it. Get a decent universal remote if you can afford it.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Ok, I think you have a couple of choices.

1) A good quality audio receiver. You use audio cables to connect the audio out from each source to the receiver which then sends audio to the speakers. So you would connect your cable box and DVD player to the tv. Probably using HDMI cables. Then you would run audio cables out from the tv to the receiver. This would be the simplest but lowest quality setup (but probably darned good).

Your tv probably has the color coded RCA audio out jacks, so you would use an RCA cable from tv to receiver.

2) A media receiver, aka A/V receiver. These process video as well as audio, and generally use HDMI cabling. Everything can (should) first run to the receiver. Cable box, DVD, etc. These receivers also typically have RCA audio jacks so you can plug in your purely audio devices like turntable or CD player. Then you run an HDMI cable to your tv.

In this scenario you would use an HDMI cable from the cable tv box or other source of your tv (AppleTV, Roku, etc) to the receiver. You would also connect the DVD player via HDMI cable to the receiver. Then there is one HDMI cable from the receiver to the tv.

The volume on the tv is always set to zero. The input to the tv is always set to the single HDMI cable coming from the receiver.

This presumes your cable tv box and DVD player both have HDMI outputs. Modern units generally do.

Posts: 9451 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justsigin:
The L, R and Center are a set of Polk Audio bookcase type speakers. Smaller but sound amazing. The L and R will run bi Amp.

Thank again for the help.

I'm bi-amping my front L & R Polk speakers with an Onkyo 7.2 receiver. I only have a 5.1 setup so the other 2 inputs are used for the bi-amping. I would imagine most 7.1 or .2 receivers can handle the bi-amping...Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon...I've just had great luck with Onkyo products.

Posts: 164 | Registered: May 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
You can save yourself a lot of grief and confusion by calling Crutchfield and talk to one of their representatives. They will steer you in the right direction and answer all of your questions.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-T2oVi6rmbkr/

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
What's the budget?

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all. I appreciate your time helping me.

posted Hide Post
Budget.... honestly I don't know enough to set a price.

I don't know if $200 or $500 works.

I am going to re read all the comments and call Crutchfield tomorrow.

At least I have a starting point.

Thanks again

Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justsigin:
Thank you all. I appreciate your time helping me.

justsigin,

Please end me an email...it's in my profile.

JP

Posts: 2054 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Buy this at Costco or BB. https://www.costco.com/denon-a...oduct.100774339.html

Posts: 12466 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:

That one is $499.99 for those of you without a Costco membership.

JP

Posts: 2054 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
That Denon S760 would be a great one for your system and can grow with you if you desired to go up to a 5 or 7 channel in the future.
I run an older 11 channel Denon.

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:

A lot of unit for the money. I have it in my theater room. Even better deal when Costco puts it on sale once or twice a year for $100 off.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Bunch of YT videos on how to fix certain Yamaha receiver issues. If you have the time and the will….

I’m in nowhereland so i must make do most of the time. Just had my 20YO Yamaha A1?led display resoldered by a friend and it works like a charm.
Slso keep a DSP1 in hat i bought in the late 80s.
They are built to last. Just saying.

You have a 3.1 speaker configuration at this point, if it make some sense to you.
The usual setups include Rear Speakers so we speak of 5.1. Add 2 more speakers and its 7.1, etc.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12110 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
The setup assistants with Denon and Yamaha units is nice. Basically connect a mic, put it where your seating area is, run program and received sets delays to perfectly center sound for that location.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
justsigin,

What State are you in? If you're close I can give you a Denon receiver in excellent condition.

It's way too heavy to think about shipping for me.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post