SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Aurora, CO motorcycle roads plus Pikes peak need advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aurora, CO motorcycle roads plus Pikes peak need advice Login/Join 
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Aurora is big, and there are nice parts of Aurora as well as pits. Having said that, I agree with others staying closer to the mountains.

Guanella is paved now? It's been a while since I've been over it. Last time was maybe 10+ years ago, and we saw a moose. It was winter though.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3301 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
If you happen to find yourself North of Denver look at the pass over Mt Evans. Hwy 34 and 36, and 5 is the spur at the top. (The highest paved road in the US)

We did it a few years ago...
We did the highest (MT Evans) and the lowest (Death Valley) roads in the USA in the same week one time during a 16 day road trip. Sort of a bucket list / for the hell of it thing I guess.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
If your talking about the BMW 100000' ride Aurora is a better starting point. It's a great ride but make sure your prepped for it.It's a long day. Otherwise I would stay in the Springs for a ton of great rides from there.Many have mentioned rides already

Posts: 2307 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
If your talking about the BMW 100000' ride Aurora is a better starting point. It's a great ride but make sure your prepped for it.It's a long day. Otherwise I would stay in the Springs for a ton of great rides from there.Many have mentioned rides already

Would you happen to know the route or passes? The time frame for the BMW 100,000, 4 August, doesn't fit my schedule but it was a starting point for planning purposes.

You guys have convinced me to alter my trip planning and stay in Colorado Springs. My focus is riding the best roads with the best scenery and while the BMW 100,000 initially caught my interest it seems the consensus is there are better roads easier to access around Colorado Springs so that is where I'll focus my planning.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
I would recommend calling the PAFB and talking to them about availability of lodging. I know that generally there is "no room at the inn" when I have checked for visitors. Unless you have eagles or stars by chance.
I wouldn't expect to show up and get lodging.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 648 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djinco:
I would recommend calling the PAFB and talking to them about availability of lodging. I know that generally there is "no room at the inn" when I have checked for visitors. Unless you have eagles or stars by chance.
I wouldn't expect to show up and get lodging.

I'll call about a month in advance to check availability and reservations for space-a can be made 120 days in advance.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Finding the route for BMWs ride is like pulling teeth but here's a link to a guy who did a 620 mile one day ride. https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/a...235-feet-one-day.doc

Posts: 2307 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
here's another. https://rhhall.smugmug.com/Mot...0000-Foot-Ride-2005/

Great info!!!!!! I can use this to plan my route, I don't need to do all the passes in one day, maybe two or three per day. Thanks again

Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
enjoy.....Remember to stay hydrated,use sunscreen and have good gear in case it rains in the mountains. If your doing twisties especially during or after a rain shower watch the corners they can get slick from dirt runoff..

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
If you happen to find yourself North of Denver look at the pass over Mt Evans. Hwy 34 and 36, and 5 is the spur at the top. (The highest paved road in the US)

We did it a few years ago...
We did the highest (MT Evans) and the lowest (Death Valley) roads in the USA in the same week one time during a 16 day road trip. Sort of a bucket list / for the hell of it thing I guess.

The road up Mt Evans is up and back. You are probably talking about Trail Ridge road via Estes Park down through the Grand Lake area. Both are must see.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Trail ridge, Mt.Evans(watch for cars hugging center of road when they are going back down,no guard rails and it's a long way down) and Pikes Peak are great rides.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Trail ridge, Mt.Evans(watch for cars hugging center of road when they are going back down,no guard rails and it's a long way down) and Pikes Peak are great rides.

I learned there's a 15 dollar toll for Pikes Peak so I may be deleting PP from my itinerary.

I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
quote:

I learned there's a 15 dollar toll for Pikes Peak so I may be deleting PP from my itinerary.

Unless money is tight, I would't let that deter you. The drive up Pikes Peak is something that can't be replicated, on a bike it's truly out of this world. Go on youtube and watch some of the bikes doing the Pikes Peak Hill climb, same road you will be on. You can't grasp the majesty until you've driven it.

Posts: 2122 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post