SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Talk to me about a good aftermarket serpentine belt for my Tacoma
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talk to me about a good aftermarket serpentine belt for my Tacoma Login/Join 
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted
Hi guys, my truck has almost 50k miles on it but it is 7 years old so I just feel better with a new fan belt. I know OEM is good, just hate to pay dealer prices. I did a search on the web and came up with a few names, just wanted your opinions. Back in a previous life as an auto mechanic, Gates was always my favorite.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
FWIW when I needed to replace mine in my Honda S2000 sports car, the overwhelming recommendation was for Goodyear Gatorback (now known as Continental I believe) which is what I used instead of OEM.

Did a quick search of sites and found this which may be of interest:
https://www.carbibles.com/best-serpentine-belt/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16189 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I use Gates or Napa (made by Gates).

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
There are Toyota Dealerships who have a really good internet presence and sell a LOT of parts at a discounted price.

Here is one example: Toyota Serpentine Belt

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Continental or GoodYear 'Gatorback' in my experience depending on what's available for the vehicle. Gates is known to make a good belt as well. Also, I'm generally a lot more concerned about the Tensioner/Idlers than the belt as they're what generally fails first, leading to the belt failure.

Belt wear is also largely depends on what accessories it drives and RPM range of the engine. Oh, and 50K miles is nothing. For instance, I've been religiously inspecting the belt on my 2009 Volvo S60 for quite a while and it still displays NO concerning wear, now at 220K miles! Eek

That said, I replaced the timing belt on that car recently and found the Tensioner was showing wear / needing replacement. Of course the Serpentine Belt on the Volvo S60 only drives the Alternator and the AC Compressor, as the Water Pump is driven by the Timing Belt, so if Serpentine Belt were to fail, I wouldn't be stranded. That reminds me, I need to replace that Belt & Tensioner this weekend... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Your Friend for OEM parts

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ch23701
posted Hide Post
My understanding is Mitsuboshi makes all the belts for Toyota. I installed one on my ‘05 Landcruiser and have had no problems with it. May give them a look.

Posts: 257 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: September 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

That's what I used several months ago. I check each year for cracks on the underside of the belt and replace when they appear.

I think a squirrel also chewed my belt when he chewed the MAP sensor wires. Mad

The belt gave out going up Afton Mountain so I continued on till I got to the top and shut it down. The fan keeps turning at highway speeds and the temperature climbs slowly.

After it cooled down, I coasted back down the mountain to the NAPA store as he was about to close.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

At one time, I would have wholeheartedly agreed with Gates, Napa, and also CarQuest. All were made of the same construction just different labeling when I worked for Gates Corp. with the Rochester Hills R&D group at one time. Can’t answer for them now. That was 8 - 10 years ago.

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Goodyear Gatorback or also known as the Continental Elite Poly V I believe (not the OEM rib belt).

I have been using these belts for the last 23 and they are great.
Though for some reason they have become very difficult to find.
I have been unable to find one for my Tundra

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hberttmank:
Hi guys, my truck has almost 50k miles on it but it is 7 years old so I just feel better with a new fan belt. I know OEM is good, just hate to pay dealer prices. I did a search on the web and came up with a few names, just wanted your opinions. Back in a previous life as an auto mechanic, Gates was always my favorite.

Go buy the OEM belt and carry on!

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
When my OEM brakes wanted replacing ... at 80,000 miles ! ... I used OEM parts, over the objections of the mechanics.

My tensioner was always loud, but this winter it began shrieking. Went OEM on the tensioner, pulley, and 93.31" belt. Zero regrets.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased a serpentine belt from the local Toyota dealer for my Camry, it was within a couple dollars of a non-OEM belt. The local dealer has been surprisingly competitive on parts pricing.

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
I use https://partsouq.com/ for Toyota oem parts for my land cruiser. They are in UAE but have great prices and shipping isn’t bad unless you order something really heavy or bulky.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would advocate for OEM Toyota parts online. But for a small item like this, by the time you add in shipping, you may be close to what the dealer is asking. Assuming the dealer is convenient to you, it may be easiest.

For aftermarket, I've had good luck with Gates. I use Rockauto.com.

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
As often as you are changing it and inspecting yours, any of the suggested aftermarket or the OEM will be fine.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
If you look at the details, your aftermarket belt also fits a Viper.

Yeah. If you have a Toyota, buy a Toyota belt.

If you have a Viper, buy the Mopar belt.

Most will count the number of ribs and say it fits all kinds of stuff.

Posts: 9141 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, guys.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post