SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are there any residential HVAC units that run on gas and oil?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are there any residential HVAC units that run on gas and oil? Login/Join 
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted
Or at least have the ability to be easily switched over?

My furnace has failed and needs to be replaced. I currently have oil and there's no gas in front of the house but I know as soon as I replace the furnace they'll extend the gas line. Anyone have any recommendations?

Posts: 6352 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
My house we originally equipped with natural gas a/c. I was never happy with it and subsequently have replaced the system with conventional natural gas furnace and A/C. It never cooled to my satisfaction. Truth is it was only 3.5 ton unit; replaced with 5 ton. More than one HVAC salesman told me I was making a mistake. I didn't, we've been much more comfortable and no appreciable increase in energy bills.

Posts: 1828 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a similar problem when we moved here...ancient heat pump went tits up and natural gas was still a couple of years down the road. Hated heat pumps so bad we installed a new gas furnace jetted for propane until the natural gas got here. Installer left the natural gas jetting kit inside the furnace and it was a 5 minute changeover when the time came. If you know that the natural gas is coming for sure, you might want to consider a similar arrangement or just blindly convert to propane and keep hoping to get lucky later.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
You can get a unit that burns oil & wood. That is what was in my house when I bought it and could not be happier. It's really nice to have when the power goes out in the winter.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2388 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One or the other.

Gas fired equipment can be converted between LP/Natural.

So if you think Natural will be an option, you could have an LP tank installed until Nat becomes available.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post