SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    First Winter with our Chihuahua. Extreme weather question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Winter with our Chihuahua. Extreme weather question Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
She is about 1-1/2 years old. We got her in Mar. of this year. She is pretty small.
We are having extreme winter weather right now. So cold with wind chill she almost refuses to go outside. If I pick her up to take outside her heart races like mad. She is so cold she won't go. She does not like to be picked up and held anyway.
I am a little afraid that with her heart racing and the extreme cold her heart could stop.

We are trying to get her to go potty in a rubber tub inside. She is not wild about that idea.

Not sure what to do at this point. Weather in going to persist for several days.

Any thoughts. Thank guys and girls.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19242 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
They make puppy pee pads that we use for our rat terrier if she refuses to go outside in the cold. It is rare it happens, but sometimes it is just too darn cold for her to go out. We also have a warm jacket for her to go outside in, but that does nothing for her paws.

If you do take your little doggy outside, watch them very carefully. We had a little terrier that would literally freeze up and fall over if too cold. Be prepared to pick them up and bring them inside if they do get too cold.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4936 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can try the following suggestions I did when I had my little 5 pound Chihuahua Bailey.

1. Get a washing machine undertray from Home Depot or Lowes. Put some soil on it and grass seeds to grow a small patch for her to use indoors when the weather is bad. Or purchase fake grass and put it in the tray.

2. Purchase a cheap tarp from Harbor Freight, etc. and lay it out in a easy spot on the yard the night before it is suppose to snow. The next day remove the tarp and your pup as a small area they can do their business that is free of snow.

I hope this helps or give you some ideas. God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3071 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
My friend has a chihuahua who spends almost all her time in her little doggie-sweater. Might see if your local pet store has something similar to this.

Posts: 15037 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Italian Greyhound‘s are very similar and I have a few of those. I would suggest going outside with her in the morning - you should have an area shoveled with a shelter overhead- let her potty, pick her up bring her in warm her up - let her back out to poop.. I had one little girl that would come up and bang on the door after she pottied, I would let her in to warm up then she would want to go back outside and finish the job..it had to be done in stages otherwise it would happen in the house. She refused to go in the house under direction regardless of what I did…cat litter, cat box, sod, you name it.. figure out her requirements and it’ll go better but definitely she needs a coat on perhaps booties as well depending on how cold you are.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5350 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent many days dog-sitting my daughters 2 Schnauzers while she travelled for work. I always used the snowblower to clear an area of grass for them in the backyard. They always used it, even in the bitter cold. It didnt seem to hurt the grass at all.

Sadly, we lost both of them within 6 weeks this spring.

Posts: 585 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
In other news, my Husky is shedding.

It's been mid-50s high and 25 low.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member of FPC, GOA, 2AF & Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2845 | Location: Tucson Sector | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a tough one. Just be prepared if you get the dog use to going potty inside it may never go back out.

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
We used to fix up a place in the attached garage for the puppy to use in bad weather. Kept her from having the idea that it was ok to go in the house.

Posts: 26942 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
We use the puppy training pads from Costco for our 5lb Yorkie. She's basically an indoor dog, a squirrel could kick her butt..

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2675 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the suggestions. So far so good. It is roughly 30 below this am. She went pee inside in the designated spot this am. Will see about the poo portion of things in a little bit. I appreciate the thoughts and suggestions. It was helpful.

posted Hide Post
My little guy is 6 1/2 lbs . We don't have those extreme of temps here but when he comes back in from a pee break he makes about six high speed runs around the den . It's hilarious to watch .

Posts: 4070 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Yea, they are special Big Grin