SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Great Diary Project
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Great Diary Project Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
This will be of interest only to some of you, but you could do a lot worse with a half hour than spending it with Dr. Finkel of the British Museum.

BTW, according to Dr. Finkel, the internet is not forever and he tells us why he thinks this is so, and how this enhances the importance of the written/printed word.

The Great Diary Project

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107728 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
A grand half hour of my time ! I found listening to Dr Finkel spellbinding. Amazing how he can non-stop narrating the diary project story ... he is so articulate, animated, his voice easy to listen to and I did not want him to stop.

I visited London October 2019 staying in Kensington and visiting more museums that I can remember including the British Museum. I wish I knew about Dr Finkel's project when I was in London.

For over 35 years, since my daughter's were born, I kept numerous journals and driving ledgers. Entries into the journals were primarily by me, a few entries by my wife, and later as the girls began to write by them. Also included were hand drawn maps and things we saw and did with contributions by each of us.

I never gave much thought to our ledgers and journals as they all eventually ended up inside a box, but after watch this video by Dr Finkel I now have a much different view on what we wrote and will write in the future.

Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bravo to Dr. Finkel for taking on this quest to save real history. Thank you Para for posting it as well.

I have never been a diary person, but to see this and his enthusiasm to save as many of these diaries is great. Like he said, these books hold the lives once lived, from the mundane to the most important, of each of the authors. I bet there are some interesting stories and little jewels of wisdom just waiting to be discovered. I always thought it was sad how people and their history are easily disposed of once they pass on. Everyone has a story and a history that should mean more than a box that gets tossed into a dumpster once anyone who cared has moved on. In his way he is helping these people become eternal. Very cool.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I don't keep a diary; I keep <ahem> a journal.

I started it on Nov 30, 2006 after being stuck in commute traffic for at least two hours feeling my life drain away with every stop and go. There was a radio segment about a study that people who wrote 3 things they were thankful for each day were happier than people who didn't.

I started with doing daily but it has since become a weekly thing every Friday morning. There have been lapses but since I switched to weekly, I'm been consistent. I write a short highlight of events then I list three things I am grateful for.

I use a notebook journal with leather-like cover by Gallery Leather in Maine. I use a fountain pen to write.

I've finished one book already and am on my second. It's been 14 years, 2 months, and about 9 days since I started writing in my book of thanks.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19707 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Truth!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38722 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I haven’t watched the video yet but I will shortly.

I remember reading a very long time ago about a man who always carried a small notebook with him and every time he met someone he write their name down in the book as well as details on where and why they met.

He was up in the hundred thousand names.

Posts: 53232 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Fascinating, he's really passionate about his project. I'm surprised he's only got about 11,000 diaries so far (maybe he just started?), but I can see where they could get overwhelmed when word get out and they start pouring in. He makes a lot of sense!

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1314 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll admit, I was much more engaged by this talk than I expected to be! He's absolutely correct about the unique, raw, truthful perspective that can be uniquely gleaned from diaries. Almost everything else is written with a purpose or agenda. Very interesting viewpoint!

Posts: 1704 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:
Fascinating, he's really passionate about his project. I'm surprised he's only got about 11,000 diaries so far (maybe he just started?), but I can see where they could get overwhelmed when word get out and they start pouring in. He makes a lot of sense!

The Great Diary Project website mentions that they started this project in 2007.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
My late mother kept a diary for the last 60 years of her life. When she passed, we removed a cache of small pocket diaries from her house. Every day was filled with occurrences, snippets of conversation, anniversaries, and data such as vaccinations, illnesses, etc. Priceless.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I keep my work journal, mostly, in a Mead composition book, with a fountain pen (paper quality and price seem to have really gone up) with a Gfeller.us cover.

Looks professional, it’s tough, and it’s not too difficult to scan in, if I want. (I usually just type in relevant bits to the file I expect my eventual successor to read.)

Posts: 5747 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just woke up, read the title as "Dairy". Got me wondering as I clicked on the thread title to open it, "What's up with the cows?" Lol.

I have a work journal of how I solved various tasks, including mistakes made. Hoping to learn from both to do more of the former. My cell phone ended up being my journal as it is so easy to snap pics and take quick notes.
Unfortunately, since I wasn't writing to the memory card, lost a lot of records when previous phone died.

Never thought of my life as being interesting enough to write mundane things down for anyone to read. I do like the idea mentioned about writing things for which to be thankful.

I do recall being at an antique market where we found a diary from about 1910. What struck my interest was the awesome handwriting styles.

Posts: 1515 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post