SIGforum
Gun insurance?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/3410028125

August 16, 2026, 06:19 PM
mojojojo
Gun insurance?
What are some companies you guys & gals use for insuring your collectible guns? My collection doesn't have anything close to a 5-digit item but there are several in the mod 4-digit range that are fairly rare. Accordingly I think I need to consider insuring them even though they are secured in a safe.

If you'd care to talk about any pros & cons of your experiences I'd appreciate it.

Thank you



Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.
August 16, 2026, 06:34 PM
V-Tail
You can add a rider for scheduled (enumerated) personal property items, such as jewelry, firearms, etc., to your homeowner insurance policy.



הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
August 16, 2026, 07:02 PM
wrightd
Last I heard Homeowner policies generally don't work well for riders for those types of items because of low limits for crappy prices, so you may need to go with more specialized insurance carriers. I recall there are specialized carriers who will insure various types of valuables and collectibles including guns. NRA used to sponsor a carrier for guns, both scheduled and unscheduled, but I don't know if they still do or if it's better to shop around.




Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster
August 16, 2026, 07:45 PM
mrvmax
https://collectinsure.com/
August 16, 2026, 11:53 PM
dry-fly
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
https://collectinsure.com/


This


"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...
August 17, 2026, 07:30 AM
MikeGLI
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
https://collectinsure.com/


This


Yup. Once I started asking my homeowners provider questions about limits and coverages, it was quickly obvious that (at least my provider at the time and the service they were offering) it was total nonsense.




NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.
August 17, 2026, 07:43 AM
lyman
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
https://collectinsure.com/


This


Yup. Once I started asking my homeowners provider questions about limits and coverages, it was quickly obvious that (at least my provider at the time and the service they were offering) it was total nonsense.



I have a Collectinsure policy, easy to deal with and actually even have a FFL policy with them



https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/
August 17, 2026, 09:32 PM
Beanhead
The trap and sporting community swears by Gun and Trophy. Those boys have a lot of $ in their guns.

For small collection, homeowner is still a good bet until it gets too large. Your issue is whether they will insure for what it is worth. Blue book is subjective. Take a P320, I don’t think it is anywhere near what is listed.
August 20, 2026, 07:38 PM
wrightd
Gun Insurance is prob best for collections of bespoke pieces, like Purdy and British Double rifles, those kinds of guns. Prob still good for a larger collections of regular guns if they got burned or flooded etc., though for bunches of unscheduled items like that you'd prob recovery less than market value, but could still be helpful.




Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster
August 20, 2026, 08:46 PM
Todd Huffman
Gun and Trophy costs me a little over $150 a year for up to $48k with no serial numbers required for coverage.




Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.
August 20, 2026, 11:31 PM
hrcjon
I have no issues with my homeowners policy and a rider. Scheduled for the amounts I want, agreed value, no serial numbers required etc. If your carrier can't do that by all means go outside your policy, but I'd research that first.


“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
August 21, 2026, 07:35 AM
SW_Sig
I have many firearms but I also have almost as much value in ammunition.

I have a rider that covers high value items, to include firearms. I wonder if it will cover my ammunition.