SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gun insurance?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Gun insurance? Login/Join 
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted
What are some companies you guys & gals use for insuring your collectible guns? My collection doesn't have anything close to a 5-digit item but there are several in the mod 4-digit range that are fairly rare. Accordingly I think I need to consider insuring them even though they are secured in a safe.

If you'd care to talk about any pros & cons of your experiences I'd appreciate it.

Thank you



Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.
 
Posts: 7038 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
You can add a rider for scheduled (enumerated) personal property items, such as jewelry, firearms, etc., to your homeowner insurance policy.



הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
 
Posts: 33801 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Last I heard Homeowner policies generally don't work well for riders for those types of items because of low limits for crappy prices, so you may need to go with more specialized insurance carriers. I recall there are specialized carriers who will insure various types of valuables and collectibles including guns. NRA used to sponsor a carrier for guns, both scheduled and unscheduled, but I don't know if they still do or if it's better to shop around.




Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster
 
Posts: 10113 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
 
Posts: 5218 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
https://collectinsure.com/


This


"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...
 
Posts: 7509 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
https://collectinsure.com/


This


Yup. Once I started asking my homeowners provider questions about limits and coverages, it was quickly obvious that (at least my provider at the time and the service they were offering) it was total nonsense.




NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.
 
Posts: 10122 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
https://collectinsure.com/


This


Yup. Once I started asking my homeowners provider questions about limits and coverages, it was quickly obvious that (at least my provider at the time and the service they were offering) it was total nonsense.



I have a Collectinsure policy, easy to deal with and actually even have a FFL policy with them



https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/
 
Posts: 11557 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
The trap and sporting community swears by Gun and Trophy. Those boys have a lot of $ in their guns.

For small collection, homeowner is still a good bet until it gets too large. Your issue is whether they will insure for what it is worth. Blue book is subjective. Take a P320, I don’t think it is anywhere near what is listed.
 
Posts: 1456 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Gun Insurance is prob best for collections of bespoke pieces, like Purdy and British Double rifles, those kinds of guns. Prob still good for a larger collections of regular guns if they got burned or flooded etc., though for bunches of unscheduled items like that you'd prob recovery less than market value, but could still be helpful.




Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster
 
Posts: 10113 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Gun and Trophy costs me a little over $150 a year for up to $48k with no serial numbers required for coverage.




Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.
 
Posts: 3848 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I have no issues with my homeowners policy and a rider. Scheduled for the amounts I want, agreed value, no serial numbers required etc. If your carrier can't do that by all means go outside your policy, but I'd research that first.


“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
 
Posts: 11919 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I have many firearms but I also have almost as much value in ammunition.

I have a rider that covers high value items, to include firearms. I wonder if it will cover my ammunition.
 
Posts: 1422 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gun insurance?

© SIGforum 2026