SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cane or walker? Help for my dad
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cane or walker? Help for my dad Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
In ambulatory devices less is more. You want the most minimal ways to accomplish the ability. So a walking stick or cane may be the solution as minimalistic. However, that is not always the solution the issue may require more stability. The next step up is a quad cane, then a folding walker and/or a folding Rollator.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8391 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth. My dad's Parkinson's Dr has told him repeatedly that all a cane does is warn others to give way.
Not that we can get him to consistently use a cane or walker with any regularity.
Very frustrating as I'm sure a fall is going to be the his demise.

Posts: 1971 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
My Mom was having fall issues and it was determined that she had been over prescribed blood pressure medication.

When she would stand up she would become dizzy and thus the fall.

Please review your meds if you or a loved one are having issues.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about this situation,I have dealt with this when we took in my late wife's aunt.
We went thru hell,She had canes and walkers.She wore us out and mostly refused both kinds of walker.there was a touch of alsimers and meanness
I really wish you the best in your situation.

Posts: 22411 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
For what it's worth. My dad's Parkinson's Dr has told him repeatedly that all a cane does is warn others to give way.
Not that we can get him to consistently use a cane or walker with any regularity.

Perhaps that's all that ONE cane does, but I shoot with a guy who has drop foot in both feet and he uses 2 canes to get around and has for at least the 10 years I've known him.

Works great for him.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:

Your dad's doctor is a moron. The larger the ambulatory device the more likely to trip over it.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8391 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
If they can afford it, there are a number of awesome independent care adult facilities. One advantage is the facilities know the ins and outs of medicare. I've been absolutely amazed at what my mother in law gets basically for free. She gets OT and PT as needed. And they come to her apartment.

Perhaps check with your dad's primary care provider and see if they can refer him for OT or PT. That's the best way to determine what will work best - cane or walker.

Like other have mentioned, if he goes with a walker, get an upgraded rollator walker that has a seat. My mom used a Drive Nitro Euro style and I've always thought that was one of the best I've seen.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

If your Dad is an iPhone user, consider an Apple Watch. Starting with the Series 4, they have had fall detection, and will automatically call 911 and the number(s) on the phone's contact list that have been designated as emergency contacts. My wife gave me a Watch after I had a bad fall in the driveway.

I can attest to the value of the iPhone for fall detection. I have gone down 3 times, once in the wood shop when I tripped over an air hose, once in the drive way and the third on a wood bridge/walkway that had ice on it. All 3 times the watch alerted me and asked me if I was okay. When responded yes the app paused. Worth every penny for that feature alone.

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:

I can attest to the value of the iPhone for fall detection.
You mean the Apple Watch for fall detection, ¿si?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30719 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I vote wheel chair until he is no longer a fall risk.

Physical therapy dailey until muscles and motility get much better.
You don't want a broken hip at this stage.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54689 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Perhaps that's all that ONE cane does, but I shoot with a guy who has drop foot in both feet and he uses 2 canes to get around and has for at least the 10 years I've known him.

I have drop foot in my left ankle, due to a sciatic nerve stenosis at the spine. If he doesn't have them already, suggest to him to get his doctor to prescribe AFOs (ankle and foot orthotic). It is a simple device that acts like a spring to pick up the front of the foot while walking, and virtually eliminates tripping. The bottom half is a piece of thin carbon fiber that slips under the removable footbed in the shoe. The top half is a cuff that wraps around the rear of the upper calf, and the two are connected by high tech plastic rods that are preloaded in a closed position. Just putting it on extends the plastic rods so their natural action is to close, and lift the front of the foot up.

I use the AFO (have for 6 years now), and a regular cane, because the left leg is overall weak. I also find that on uneven terrain, a walking/hiking stick works better than the cane.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10790 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:

I have drop foot in my left ankle, due to a sciatic nerve stenosis at the spine. If he doesn't have them already, suggest to him to get his doctor to prescribe AFOs (ankle and foot orthotic). It is a simple device that acts like a spring to pick up the front of the foot while walking, and virtually eliminates tripping. The bottom half is a piece of thin carbon fiber that slips under the removable footbed in the shoe. The top half is a cuff that wraps around the rear of the upper calf, and the two are connected by high tech plastic rods that are preloaded in a closed position. Just putting it on extends the plastic rods so their natural action is to close, and lift the front of the foot up.

I use the AFO (have for 6 years now), and a regular cane, because the left leg is overall weak. I also find that on uneven terrain, a walking/hiking stick works better than the cane.

Thanks but he knows what they are and wore them for awhile but he says he can't drive with them, so he quit wearing them.

Mrs. Flash also has drop foot in her right foot and wears an AFO daily but doesn't use a cane but probably should.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of papaac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NOCkid:
Have him evaluated by a Physical Therapist if possible-this is their specialty.

Working 27 years in physical rehab brought me to the conclusion that people absolutely DETEST using a walker, even when it would be by far the safest ambulatory appliance for them. Probably partially because the walker is obvious evidence of their physical decline.

Single point canes are not designed to bear more than minimal weight, despite the fact that you see people leaning heavily into them. SPCs are best for individuals with minor balance issues.

Multi point canes are built to support more weight but are a bit cumbersome to use properly.

2 wheeled walkers offer good support, are lightweight, and usually fold easily to travel in a vehicle.

4 wheeled walkers with brakes and a seat are great, but are more expensive, heavier and more awkward to transport.

It sounds like a walker would be the safest option, IF he can be convinced to use it, but a cane would be better than nothing.

Good luck. I went through a similar situation with my father-it was difficult to get him to even use a cane.

Another point, the 2 wheel walker is safer and more fall resistant than the 4 wheel.

"Among a people generally corrupt, liberty cannot long exist." Edmund Burke

Posts: 4974 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your dad. To quote my grandmother, “We’re all gonna get there if we live long enough”. Look up walking rollinators. I have bought several over the years and donated for patients that plain ol’ did not want to be considered handicapped or “look decrepit” to use their term. But it has a built in seat where you can sit down when tired or just need a break. Look for one with good hand brakes that lock, so the chair doesn’t roll when he sits. My patients loved them there is usually a basket, or storage area under the seat where they can tote things and still hold on to something for support. It doesn’t seem so bad if it’s more like a useful tool.

Posts: 8 | Registered: April 28, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks but he knows what they are and wore them for awhile but he says he can't drive with them, so he quit wearing them.

Mrs. Flash also has drop foot in her right foot and wears an AFO daily but doesn't use a cane but probably should.

I can see how it could be a problem with the accelerator. Mine is on the clutch leg, so it doesn't limit my driving.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10790 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post