SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm stumped. Why would someone mail me a champaign cork?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm stumped. Why would someone mail me a champaign cork? Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I would not handle the cork. It could be infused with some disease. Remember that some letters have been sent with white powder in them that turned out to be Anthrax. No telling what may be hiding on that cork.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tgtshuter:
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
The smallest women's swimsuits consist of 2 postage stamps and a cork.

Which end does the cork go? Wink

Double big Big Grin

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Could be an Amazon or Ebay seller trying to boost their ratings by shipping out stuff like this to boost "purchases"

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
seems to me the juice ain;t worth the squeeze if someone or some company is mailing stuff to get better review or delivery target numbers,

still costs a few stamps, or a few dollars , plus cost of envelop etc, and time to address the envelops,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I'm still thinking practical joke on this one.

No legitimate company uses stamps for shipping items, even for USPS. They have a machine that calculates exact postage. Over stamping is an extra cost no one pays in a business setting.

If it wasn't processed through a post office then it was dropped at your house by someone not shipped. I've done this before when I've played a joke on someone.

A wine cork wouldn't take a ton of stamps Perhaps (2) two would be sufficient Most things of that nature would be shipped in a bubble or fiber envelope or a small box. If it was a normal letter envelope that that wasn't from any distribution center.

If the address cannot be identified in an industrial park or a small distribution center than it further points as bogus. Google maps will reveal this information as I'm sure you've probably done. Street view will usually give you the business name if an industrial park.

I've spent 27 years in intrologistics, doing systems in distribution centers ranging from $800K to $150M in scope. I know how things are picked, packaged, and shipped.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
But, I suspect, if you share your address with the membership, we will be able to send you all manner of cigar labels, bottle caps, wine corks, etc...

Big Grin

Posts: 5734 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Maybe someone thinks you are a cork soaker Big Grin

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ever heard the phrase
"Put a cork in it "?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you have enemies. Its a lot easier to ship a cork than a dead fish. Although "He sleeps with the corks" doesn't sound very sinister or threatening.

Or maybe somebody wants you to visit Cork in Northern Ireland. Pretty obscure marketing.

Play baseball? Perhaps you're suppose to cork your bat.

Posts: 1314 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
DID YOU GET MY CORK?

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
We get a magazine delivered to our mailbox with a person's name that is unknown in our town.
We still occasionally get mail for people that used to live in our house.

We've been in the home for thirty-one years.

I've only been in this house for 6 months now, but for the first 4 months I was getting both mail and packages for a previous occupant. He seriously needs to update his address with his online vendors, or at least check the shipping address when he places an order.

In January I got a call from the realtor who ramrodded my purchase of the house. She said the same previous occupant had called her and asked her to ask me to put his mail and packages out on the porch for him to pick up. Strange request, but whatever. I put it all out on the front porch, where it sat for 6 WEEKS and nobody came to get it. Now anything that shows up with his name on it, or his wife's, goes straight into the trash.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Hopefully, not because you're going to get 'popped' ...

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
The cork could be a remembrance of a night unimpeded by hesitation or careful thought.

Did you also get an Amazon order confirmation email for stuff like a scepter, a bird fountain, sisal rope and a Pope hat?

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Check your home title maybe they are celebrating the sale of it?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
The cork could be a remembrance of a night unimpeded by hesitation or careful thought.

Did you also get an Amazon order confirmation email for stuff like a scepter, a bird fountain, sisal rope and a Pope hat?

For the Win! Good lord that was funny. Andrew, I'm not picking on you, if I got a cork in the mail I'd be worse off than anyone else here.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
...a scepter, a bird fountain, sisal rope and a Pope hat...

This sounds familiar, but I can't place it ~ at some point, long ago I think these things were in a book I read, a movie I watched, or an AD&D Game I played???
Roll Eyes

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post