SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm stumped. Why would someone mail me a champaign cork?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm stumped. Why would someone mail me a champaign cork? Login/Join 
Stuck on
himself
posted
Title says it all. We got an envelope with a champaign cork. No note or anything. Tons of stamps with a return GA address that we don't recognize but it doesn't actually appear to have been processed through a post office.

What could possibly be the message? Am I going to die tonight?

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
Old GF?

Posts: 731 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wasabi:
Old GF?

Unlikely. It would have to be really old, my wife and I started dating in high school.

We looked up the address in gmaps and the house appears to be abandoned.

Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Does the cork have the name of the Champaign printed on it?

Anddd by the way, don't go sniffing or holding the cork with your bare hands ~ you don't know where it's been Big Grin

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:

Anddd by the way, don't go sniffing or holding the cork with your bare hands ~ you don't know where it's been Big Grin

The thought has occurred to me.

Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
look up empty package scalping, lotta info on it, this may be what they did, hard to say though.
https://www.webopedia.com/defi...ty-package-scalping/

Posts: 1288 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Practical joke? I've been known to do things like that. Usually a bit more elaborate though.

I've sent someone a box that had a 1 qt zip lock bag full of leaves, twigs, and dry grass clippings with instructions for a Home Composting Kit.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rizzle:
look up empty package scalping, lotta info on it, this may be what they did, hard to say though.
https://www.webopedia.com/defi...ty-package-scalping/

That's probably it, though the package didn't seem to have been processed as there wasn't any postal markings on the envelope. Might cut off the stamps and reuse them though.

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Well...It was nice knowing you.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
Post office might not of been able to cancel the stamps with a cork in the envelope, maybe just scanned? could always stop by a post office and ask.

Probably a company that sells widgets and wanted to show increased sales numbers for finance or whatever. They would be asked, how many have you sold?, Oh1 we shipped a thousand last month Smile.

Posts: 1288 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:

Probably a company that sells widgets and wanted to show increased sales numbers for finance or whatever. They would be asked, how many have you sold?, Oh1 we shipped a thousand last month Smile.

The problem with that is it is not how many products that shipped that matter, it's how much revenue and profit those shipments brought the company. It won't take long for someone to see that you had 10,000 widgets in stock, manifested 5,000, but for some reason still have 8,000 in inventory.

It also wouldn't take long for someone in finance to see you spent $2,000 in shipping that month but received $0 in revenue and $0 in profit.

If you're inflating numbers on a web site, that is one thing. Seems like it would be easier to just change the numbers digitally than spend money sending people useless crap.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
That link also shows online increased sales will improve with higher sales numbers, in that case the buyer of the product would have to confirm the sales numbers, which is unlikely.
The first I have heard of it, but if the OP wants to really dig into it, he might be able to track it down.

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
a return GA address that we don't recognize

Does Google recognize it?

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You missed the party, man!

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
The smallest women's swimsuits consist of 2 postage stamps and a cork.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1529 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We get a magazine delivered to our mailbox with a person's name that is unknown in our town. We live semi-rural, have an odd address, still it shows every month.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Return it Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
We get a magazine delivered to our mailbox with a person's name that is unknown in our town.
We still occasionally get mail for people that used to live in our house.

We've been in the home for thirty-one years.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
The smallest women's swimsuits consist of 2 postage stamps and a cork.

Which end does the cork go? Wink

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I have to ask: Do you fart a lot at work or something? Big Grin

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1856 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
quote:

The problem with that is it is not how many products that shipped that matter, it's how much revenue and profit those shipments brought the company. It won't take long for someone to see that you had 10,000 widgets in stock, manifested 5,000, but for some reason still have 8,000 in inventory.

It also wouldn't take long for someone in finance to see you spent $2,000 in shipping that month but received $0 in revenue and $0 in profit.

If you're inflating numbers on a web site, that is one thing. Seems like it would be easier to just change the numbers digitally than spend money sending people useless crap.

Far fetched idea here. What if the widget company contracted with a marketing company to package and ship these on a cost per unit basis.

Marketing company or someone within is a bit shady, realizes that the widgets can be sold under the table but they are being paid to ship each one. So they skim some off, package an item of negligible or no value and ship it out. They sell the purloined widgets for extra profit through a bogus company maybe? Records on their end support their shipping out however many widgets they were contracted for. Post office audit shows there was weight in the package maybe through their system somehow?

Some of those addresses may be auditing addresses, just used to verify that the items were shipped. If they get a real widget,all is well. If they get a bogus widget the company contracted to ship can always blame it on the postal service and say that one of their employees switched the item inside.

I said it was far fetched but anything is possible.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post