SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Some NBA teams played 'negro national anthem' at games
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some NBA teams played 'negro national anthem' at games Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
we already have a national anthem

if the blacks don't like it, they can get the fuck out of this country and start their own somewhere and pick whatever they want for an anthem

enough of this bullshit

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53240 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
good for them. everyone has a right to be proud of who/where/what they come from. black people in America, in a very general sense, are a result of many brave and noble people who fought against injustice. if this song honors those people, then play it loud.

that said, I don't think I know the song and I'd venture to guess most in attendance at the games do not either.
I learned of this song in my church back in the 1980s; it was referred to as "The Black National Anthem" even then. It is a good song, and I have no issues with its message (even though I'm not Black). Here is a link that includes the text, music, and a (poor) recording: https://hymnary.org/text/lift_every_voice_and_sing. More of its history can be found by doing a web search on the title. FWIW, I do not support using it to supplant our official National Anthem in any way. It is found in our UMC Hymnal (and many others). It is appropriate for Black History Month.

Yellowjacket, I think you'd find that every Black person in this country knows the song.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I personally don't give a crap what music they play during timeouts and on-court highlights. If I'm stupid enough to be at a NBA game, this song is certainly preferable over rap crap.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23329 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Where is the country of Negro?

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I guess I feel bad they think they need their own anthem. Even describing them as 'they' makes them a subset which indicates divided or segregated. I kind of hoped the population of this nation could unite under a set of true principles regardless of history and race. Seems like 'United States' is aspirational. It's not a criticism. If I had been told what they have been and by whom, I'd be bitter/resentful too. It just seems like a missed opportunity and unfulfilled potential all the way around.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29734 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
df, I agree with you. The song developed out of the Civil Rights movement many years ago and its importance to that segment of the population has remained valid. I also think we need to remind ourselves that there are very powerful agencies and persons doing their best to promote and sustain the divisions in our Society--were they not there I think we'd have come together much more and more quickly.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This says something about the NBA's demographics.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13410 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KenS:
When I saw the thread title, my first thought was the Hendrix version of the Star Spangled Banner. Which would be okay with me.

Ken

I’d go with a James Brown track. Personally he was a drug user and wife beater (he did grow up in a whorehouse, so bad childhood), but musically he was a fucking genius and the GOAT to me.

I am getting sick of this shit and the race baiting. I love black people, their contributions in many facets but we should celebrate and integrate, not separate or divide. It’s getting old.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12661 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would declared BS.
I don't care if the want to play a song that honors Black folks in history, but it is not a "National Anthem". We already have a National Anthem of all Americans.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love black people, their contributions in many facets but we should celebrate and integrate, not separate or divide. It’s getting old.

Thing is, most of them (or at least all I've known beyond passing) are not bitter agitators in the same way most of us are not skin head neo-Nazi agitators. If we could just muzzle the agitators, we could all move into being a united population.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29734 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post