SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are there good deals on Windows Server?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are there good deals on Windows Server? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I’m looking to add a Windows Server to my home lab. I remember when I used to program that there were Developer versions of the server software for a whole lot less. I got my Windows 10 licenses via Kinguin for cheap but they don’t offer Server software. I’m thinking the Essentials version isn’t going to be for me as I want the Experience Role functionality that has been removed in Essentials. The 6 months trial for development isn’t what I need either.

Is there a way to get something like Windows Server 2019 Standard for a more reasonable price? Are the $40 copies on eBay legitimate? That’s like a 95% discount and I’m skeptical.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
No $40 Software is not legit.
Trial versions last for a while, then wipe and reinstall. You can get in house full versions for becoming a Microsoft Partner but that starts at $500 a year.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
No $40 Software is not legit.
Trial versions last for a while, then wipe and reinstall. You can get in house full versions for becoming a Microsoft Partner but that starts at $500 a year.
That’s what I figured. It’s not worth $500 every year for me. Thank you.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
FWIW, W10 does a lot of what server does.
It depends what you need it for.
The difference is the limitation of 10 simultaneous connections.
Pro Version not Home.
Additionally, MS Server software isn't approved for desktop hardware but in most all cases it will definitely run on it.
Server hardware such as with Xeon processors will support ECC memory, etc.
But Server 2019 can be easily evaluated for 180 days > https://www.microsoft.com/en-u...-windows-server-2019
Try it out.
Good Luck.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
FWIW, W10 does a lot of what server does.
It depends what you need it for.
The difference is the limitation of 10 simultaneous connections.
Pro Version not Home.
Additionally, MS Server software isn't approved for desktop hardware but in most all cases it will definitely run on it.
Server hardware such as with Xeon processors will support ECC memory, etc.
But Server 2019 can be easily evaluated for 180 days > https://www.microsoft.com/en-u...-windows-server-2019
Try it out.
Good Luck.

I’ll check it out. Maybe I’m barking up the wrong tree though.

posted Hide Post
Windows Server 2019 Essentials (For small business - 25 users) for $359.00.

New Egg

Posts: 7551 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post