SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question on rights of a sub lessee.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on rights of a sub lessee. Login/Join 
posted
I have the lease on a 1500 sq. ft suite in an office building. I have subleased some of the rooms and shared spaces to other health care workers. This has worked well for 12 years.

Lately the husband of one of my tenants has been coming in and working at the front desk, assisting his wife. However after a time he became abusive and rude. I have told my tenant that her husband can no longer work in our office.

Originally I gave this tenant a two year sublease, but did not specify one way or the other about an employee or other helper. It was a two party lease. My tenant does not pay her husband, so he technically may not be an employee.

The original 2 year lease agreement expired 10 years ago. At this point I told her that if her husband comes in to work, I am giving her a 30 day notice to quit.

The question is, do I have the right to exclude her husband from working in our office, and from entering tenant only portions of the suite?
--------------
Edit: This is in California. I only plan to bar him from employee only areas.

-c1steve

Posts: 4056 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I would suggest contacting a lawyer in your state, as local laws will vary on this.

I'd suspect at a minimum, that you could bar him from common areas, and restrict him to her office only, but I don't know if you can outright bar him from the building if he hasn't given any threats to you of other occupants.

I am not a lawyer, but have been in a sub lease situation... hence my suggestion to seek local consul.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3355 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
These laws vary by state you need to talk to a lawyer in your state that understands these laws.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If her 2 year lease expired 10 years ago, then she is on a month to month lease and whatever eviction process is for a month to month most likely (at least here in Florida). I don't know the laws but you need to speak to an attorney that specializes in Real Estate law. You most likely will have to evict her, or at least threaten it if the husband is that much of a problem.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post