SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any suggestions of rivers/lakes for multi day/week canoe tripping?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any suggestions of rivers/lakes for multi day/week canoe tripping? Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted
Haven't had any luck in finding a used 17'+ canoe over the last 4 months so today, the last day to get in on a discount Spring order, I ordered one. Now to put together some places to go. There'll be two of us along with two dogs and we're not interested in white watering, more into flat water and down rivers with places to pull in and pitch a tent for a night or two, continuing on and repeat. I know of a few places such Boundary water, Swanee river, Green River, etc., but if any of you have suggestions I'd appreciate hearing them. Anywhere in PA, MD, WV, VA, Ohio, and Kentucky would be close and convenient but we're planning on traveling over the next few years too so most anywhere that would have something to offer is a possibility. TIA

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
Beech Fork lake isn’t bad as it’s limited to 9.9 HP, they have a campground and you’re a few minutes outside Huntington for other activities. It’s also my backyard so dinner would be on me. I know there is some activity on the Coal River around Charleston as some of my partners go there but I personally haven’t done it. Enjoy.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1894 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania. Done it. Put in on the Conestoga east of Safe Harbor Dam, then south to Maryland.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buffalo River Arkansas. Class I or II moving water. Plenty of access and some of the best scenery around.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Yup, what he said too.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although not one of the states listed, Adirondacks in NY is perfect for what your seeking

Posts: 679 | Location: MA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
lanning on traveling over the next few years too so most anywhere that would have something to offer is a possibility. TIA

There's very pleasant stretches of Class I & II flatwater in parts of both the North Fork of the Salmon River, eastern Idaho, and in Deschutes River, Central Oregon.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys and all are noted on my "to do" list!

Adirondacks is a good suggestion, I've ridden around there a number of times and they're not that far away.

Hopefully west in 2021, thanks signewt!

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Buffalo River. Gorgeous place.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I haven't done it, but it's on my list and you've mentioned it: Suwannee River Wilderness State Trail

You could also paddle 38 miles from Lake Huron to Lake Michigan via the Inland Waterway

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
If you are feeling really ambitious, check out the Northern Forest Canoe Trail. Goes from Maine to the Adironacks while passing through Vermont, NH and Quebec. Total is 740 miles. Obviously you can wimp out and only choose to do parts of it. Big Grin

https://www.northernforestcanoetrail.org/

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2387 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Missouri Ozarks are full of good float streams with gravel bottoms and gravel bars to pull off and camp overnight. Mostly in hilly country with bluffs and caves. Many are spring-fed in spots along their way. Floats similar to the Buffalo in Arkansas.

Posts: 2694 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyplace in the Yoop. Pictured Rocks is popular but it might involve the big lake.
Bring bug juice!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
The Allegheny river and French Creek in Northwestern PA are very scenic and no white water.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
quote:
lanning on traveling over the next few years too so most anywhere that would have something to offer is a possibility. TIA

There's very pleasant stretches of Class I & II flatwater in parts of both the North Fork of the Salmon River, eastern Idaho, and in Deschutes River, Central Oregon.

I will second this. I have run a number of rivers in Idaho, not in a canoe, part of it was in a cataraft, part in a 14 foot raft with my brother.

Some of that water could get VERY exciting! I know, as I did a kind of strange half flying maneuver in my cataraft. Ended up swimming for a bit.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
These are known more for their rapids (controlled by outflow from dams), but I don't see why you couldn't canoe on the Nantahala River in NC or the Ocoee in NC and TN. Both have very scenic canyons. Nantahala River - Bing Images Ocoee River - Bing Images And the Watauga and Nolichucky are practically in my back yard.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boundary Waters you mentioned, but Quetico is just to the North on the Canada side. More desolate than BW.

MDS

Posts: 376 | Registered: November 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog:
Although not one of the states listed, Adirondacks in NY is perfect for what your seeking

The Old Forge to Saranac Lake trip for sure. Check out the three day summer race.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
The legendary Allagash River in Maine is definitely worth traveling to.

Posts: 12922 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the suggestions I've noted them all down and will be going over them with my canoe partner for her input. Come on Spring!