SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any suggestions of rivers/lakes for multi day/week canoe tripping?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any suggestions of rivers/lakes for multi day/week canoe tripping? Login/Join 
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Another most enjoyable flat water canoeing opportunity is Lake Louise near Banff in Canada.

About 40 years ago we were paddling around 'way out in the Lake' and treated to a spectacular avalanche falling into the Southern end of the Lake. About 20 minutes later we even got a tiny tsunami from icefall; it was a noticeable series of waves less than an extra foot tall.

Looking at the satellite map now, the associated ice field doesn't seem anywhere near the end of the lake.

Still, camping out way back then was quite available, although in early July we had large snow flakes falling on our tent site when making coffee the next morning.

If you want a more vigorous ride, check out the rafting opportunities just below Hells Canyon Dam and down river.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
Another most enjoyable flat water canoeing opportunity is Lake Louise near Banff in Canada.

About 40 years ago we were paddling around 'way out in the Lake' and treated to a spectacular avalanche falling into the Southern end of the Lake. About 20 minutes later we even got a tiny tsunami from icefall; it was a noticeable series of waves less than an extra foot tall.....

That's a good suggestion I was last there probably 15 years ago and it is a beautiful lake and area, would be really scenic in a boat.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Anyplace in the Yoop. Pictured Rocks is popular but it might involve the big lake.
Bring bug juice!

I'm not sure what camping opportunities Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore offers, but it is beautiful. Beware though, the water is cold and careful preparations and planning would be prudent.

Posts: 10953 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bays and estuaries of the Inland Waterway?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...terway#Current_route

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Bays and estuaries of the Inland Waterway?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...terway#Current_route

We actually stayed at a number of campgrounds on or near the Intracoastal in October this year as we drove along the coast from Maryland down to Fort Lauderdale, took our good time typically staying a couple nights to be able to hike around and sight see. My impression for canoeing in much of it is this which was written in the wiki link; "The Intracoastal Waterway has a good deal of commercial activity; barges haul petroleum, petroleum products, foodstuffs, building materials, and manufactured goods. It is also used extensively by recreational boaters."

But some places were less trafficked, had tributaries and little bays to explore which would be fun in a small boat or canoe.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Here's another shout-out for The Boundary Waters, and almost anywhere in the Rainy River flowage. Boundary Waters is huge, has good primitive campsites, and is entered from any number of towns in Minnesota.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doesn't the boundary water system have a reservation or daily quota system unless you are with a guide service?
Know they get busy during prime season.

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed Canoe trips growing up.

When I saw the question in the subject line 2 things came to mind.

1) Boundary Waters in northern MN.

2) Bowron Lake Canoe Circuit In B.C. Canada. It is 4 lakes that are mostly connected. There are a few slight portages. However it is absolutely fablous and worth the trip!

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post