SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Aftermarket parts. Expectations and disappointments...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aftermarket parts. Expectations and disappointments... Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
So, I ordered a pair of Demello sliders back in February. I was given a lead time, then the Coronavirus screwed that up. I’m cool with that. Shit happens.
I called a lot asking for updates. I received them, but I always was the one to initiate the communication. Otherwise it was crickets.
My sliders shipped, twice the lead time I was given. Still okay with this as the coronavirus has screwed everyone.
So they arrive. Packaged extremely well. No damage, in mint condition. Totally stoked.
They arrived on Thursday so I waited for Saturday morning to install.
Installation starts. Passenger side, all went pretty well, with one big exception. The 14m both that they give you a replacement for, the tabs are not correct. Either take the sliders off and re-drill the damned hole, or drill out the factory welded on nut and drop a 1/2” bolt in there. Same on the driver’s side.
The instructions are incomplete as you need to fab a makeshift tool to get shit in the boxed end of the frame, unless your wife is cool and has tiny hands.
Finally installed. Stoked as fuck. They look great. Then we went for a drive....

One thing to note here, is the sliders have forward and backward adjustability, but it’s about 3/8” at best. There is zero adjustment side to side. That said, because of how the brake lines are situated on the inside of the frame, there is probably less than 1/8” adjustment on the driver’s side. You get the full 3/8” on the passenger’s side, but I would prefer them to look symmetrical.

So driving around town on the less than stellar roads, the bars hit the cab when there is cab/frame flex. There is literally a finger of space between the bars and cab. Doesn’t change if you rack them as far back as possible. Still beats on the cab over bumps. They sit three fingers off the real quarter panel on the passenger side and two off on the drivers side. Back to the fronts, less than 1/2” from the cab.

I’m not trying to trash Demello. I have wanted their sliders since I had an FJ. Best looking sliders available. I wanted these to be better than I had imagined. Not a fucking chance. I bought a lemon and it is what it is.

Too bad they fit like they were made in China. They still look cool as fuck. I think I’ll be creating a dent in the cab/pinch weld so the front of the bars can clear without making a ruckus when going down the road.

I wouldn’t buy them again, no matter how cool they look. Hopefully they send me two more bolts so I can secure the fronts, since the 14m bolts were worthless.

First pic, that’s my pinky finger. Couldn’t put my index finger there. Gap is too tight. If the bars racked all the way back, the brake lines would have prevented some of the bolts. That’s how close the 3/8” is.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I saw this yesterday on TW! Wondered if it was the same beancooker.

Yeah, I'd be disappointed too. Good looking sliders, but not designed to fit right, it appears. I prefer an all-tube-style, and got a pair of Bud-Builts, partially due to good reviews, and partially due to they are a day trip away from where I am currently. I'm very satisfied with mine.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3302 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny , I just ordered a set for my FJ !

Posts: 368 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That kind of shit happens too often, and is the main reason I no longer do any modifications to my vehicles.

Posts: 26926 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
It shouldn’t be happening for the price. Maybe if you buy the budget model of something a company has to offer, then I can kind of see it. I think it’s totally unacceptable when you buy the flagship, highest end model and it’s flawed, severely.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
Time for solid cab mounts?

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
What did the company say about it??

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25431 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be calling them up, telling them that their product quality is junk and sending that crap back for a refund. Why deal with those headaches and try to make junk work?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I will be contacting first thing this morning. They’re closed over the weekend. I hope there is a good outcome to all of this, and Demello makes it right. I also found whee the loud banging is coming from. At first I thought it was the front corners. Then after a short drive down a bumpy road, I was able to find this. It looks like one of the four support tubes was just a hair off when it was welded in place.

quote:
The “lol” thread

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I sure wish there were bolt on sliders for my rig.
Was going to go with Chassis Unlimited’s universal weld on kit. They appear to have quit making them. I have the drawings they had so I am going to see if a local fab shop can make them.

Best looking universal weld ons I can find.

————————————————

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Black, at least you have the drawings and can get them made.

I will give credit where it is due. Jason from Demello has gone above and beyond and stands behind his products 100%. Upstanding guy and great customer service.

quote:
The “lol” thread

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Hopefully that service continues and they get you straight.

————————————————

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Wow--lot of Taco's on SigForum.
Fortunately mine came from the factory in place.
I feel your pain Beancooker, but it sounds like Demello is following up.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about them and can't tell from the pics, but by chance could one be made specifically for the right side and one for the left? Curious if they got reversed if so or if you got two of the same. Still look good.

I would have an OCD fit once I knew.

I just put on a solid bed cover. It came out even but the factory bed liner under it sat about 1/4" more to one side. Still thinking about it.

Posts: 17897 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Still puzzled about the reference to FJ. Somebody enlighten me.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Toyota FJ Cruiser. Discontinued. Poor attempt to bring back the mojo of the original FJ, which was beloved by many. Poor rear visibility. Weird roofline. Cue "get smart" tag line "missed it by that much." Made for Toyota by Hino, the truck manufacturer subsidiary.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5055 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Toyota FJ Cruiser. Discontinued. Poor attempt to bring back the mojo of the original FJ, which was beloved by many. Poor rear visibility. Weird roofline. Cue "get smart" tag line "missed it by that much." Made for Toyota by Hino, the truck manufacturer subsidiary.

You forgot to mention useless rear seat.

————————————————

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:

You forgot to mention useless rear seat.

You guys forgot to mention ridiculous resale value. Had it for three years. Traded it in and got $2k over sticker price. When I say that, I mean I was paid almost $4k more than I paid for it three years prior. It sold for $2k more used, than the factory asked for it new.

I bought it two years before they discontinued them. It was army green with a white rood and every 4x4 option available at the time. Hard to find new, and non existent used, especially with low miles.

quote:
The “lol” thread

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
What did they have to say about the poor fitment?

————————————————

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I should have updated this a long time ago.

I sent pics and had a phone conversation. He agreed that the mounting brackets were incorrect, and that one of the sliders was welded wrong.
He offered a full replacement on his dime. Offered to expedite them through production, powder coat and shipping. I would have had them by the end of the week.
Now if the mounting brackets are incorrectly bent, and the holes are off a little, and you send me correct ones, I’m either wallowing out the brackets, or redrilling the holes in my frame. Not interested in either option.
So we both agreed that while the brackets were off a little, they worked just fine. The one slider that was welded incorrectly is not as simple.

While I appreciate that he was willing to stand behind his product and offered a full replacement, I didn’t feel that was necessary. We came to an amicable agreement. I didn’t see the need to take advantage of someone when a mistake was made, and it is a fixable situation.

I loosened up the drivers side slider, and on the last tab where the bar rode the cab, I cut a 3”x4” piece of 3/16” steel. Drilled it and used it to space the slider away from the bottom of the frame. No more rubbing or noise.
So I feel that they handled the situation rather well. I would still recommend them, as they stand behind their products, and I do believe that I’m a one off case.

quote:
The “lol” thread