SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Well, I guess I’m the victim of identity theft - odd story to follow...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well, I guess I’m the victim of identity theft - odd story to follow... Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
So when someone files for unemployment at my work, I get the notice.

Imagine my surprise when I receive one, as we haven’t lost anyone in more than three months.

Imagine my surprise when I read that Noah (Beancooker) with SSN xxx-xx-xxxx that matches all my info, filed for unemployment on 11/06/2020.

Now I get to go through the exhausting process of credit freezes, new SSN, changing all kinds of bullshit. Mrs.Cooker will probably have to do the same, which is even more of a PITA, as she wasn’t born here.

Today was a shit day, and at its down point, I simply said, “well it can’t get worse than now”. I guess the powers that be, simply chuckled and said “hold my beer silly boy!”

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
2020 is out to get us, man, every way we turn.

Hang in there man, we've got your back!

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can get a new SS number? Kinda thought that was with you for life

Posts: 258 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: February 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
What kills me, is that I’m super aware of this issue. Everything that is mailed to my house goes into a crosscut confetti shredder.
We are super careful about where we shop online, and if it seems like it could be shady in person, I pay with cash.

Years of vigilance and I still get fucked.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alingo2001:

Yeah, when you get your identity stolen, they issue you a new ssn.

I would kneecap the SOB that did this if I could.

quote:
The “lol” thread

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I would consider something like lifelock?
Or at least research those outfits to see if one is worth trying to straighten things out on your behalf. It would be much more effective to deal with a company who has experience in dealing with this sort of thing vs trying to do it yourself. No?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Same happened to me this year. Likely from the Equifax breach.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
With the number of systems you have your personal info stored in (medical records, banking, on and on) and as piss poor as a lot of those systems security are.

(given so many businesses that could have such info, and not isolated from the internet)

All it takes is some yutz, noodling around on the internet, even in a "work required" effort, and info is compromised.

Look at the millions of people who's information has been subject to breaches over the past few years.

There is little you can do about it, since information is shared. (applying for a mortgage and buying a property, and several agencies will have and share your info during the underwriting process and other tasks).

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
So when someone files for unemployment at my work, I get the notice.

Now imagine what could have happened had you not been in the position you are and the I.D. theft had gone undiscovered by you for months--or even longer, and the next thing you know you're finding out there's an arrest warrant out for you, or you have massive hospital bills somewhere you've never been before, or your credit's been destroyed?

These things happen to people all the time.

Sigmonkey is right: With the number of systems that have so much of our personal info on them: It's more by luck than anything else if your identity isn't stolen. I've had something like three major databases compromised with my records being among those lifted.

This is why my info is frozen at all the major credit and financial reporting agencies and we pay $180/year for identity monitoring and theft mitigation.

Sorry to hear you're having to deal with this.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Lifelock is pretty good....a few years back, got a call from Lifelock, my SSN got flagged for a loan app...everything got put on a freeze, got,lucky, turned out it was a typo on the part of whoever read it, or scribbled the number. One number off. At least I was notified and everything screeched to a halt. Once the error was found, got back to normal, well, as normal as it is, shredding everything with a hint of our info.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Last place I worked before retiring had a data breach of the dealership's data base. A couple of people in my department had claims filed against their SSN's for unemployment.

HR found out when the state sent letters to the dealership notifying of the claim filings.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8106 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Look at the millions of people who's information has been subject to breaches over the past few years.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
I am up to seven times now. At least I am always offered Identity protection. The latest one must have been worse I got THREE years of free protection.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you would not mind, what is the process of getting a new SSN? I have heard the process is quite burdensome.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I am experiencing the same thing. I live in Michigan, but someone is filing for unemployment under my name, SS#, and old address in New Jersey. Thankfully, I'm on good terms with my ex wife who has been getting the notices.

I have Experian and they notified me last week that someone had opened an account at navy Federal Credit Union with that same information.

So yeah...I am interested in hearing about the process of changing my SS# as well....

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Guess we'll join the queue on this thread. Last week Mrs M-11 got a call from her former employer (she retired) asking if she'd applied for Unemployment (IL). The worthless yutzes here said "leave a phone# and we'll get back to you." No, they didn't.She's frantic. Put freezes, alerts \, etc on everything. Yesterday she gets a letter saying her claim is accepted and here's a VISA card with $$ on it. WTF?! So, we re-sent the original complaint and destroyed the card (saving the pieces for them). Like Beancooker, we have a very limited footprint out there. Bastiges.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

My wife had her identity stolen twice about 20 years ago. Tried in vain to get a new SSN. They don't do it. Two people out west are still using her SSN. Hassle every time she opens a new bank account.

Posts: 1314 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my employees had some M-F apply under her number. It has been a nightmare for her as well. Going on 8 months and still not resolved.

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2084 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

would keep very careful watch on my ss benefits calculations

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Somebody steals your identity, shouldn't you be allowed to track them down and shoot them dead? Wouldn't that be more like suicide than murder?

Posts: 6477 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

The pool of available SSNs will soon be depleted if they keep that up.

quote:

Would you kneecap a scorpion for doing what a scorpion does? A skunk?

Yeah, poor analogies, I know, but criminals be criminals. They've always been out there. They will always be out there. If you're looking for somewhere to direct your ire, direct it at the inept and/or lazy people that are allowing their systems to be breached right-and-left.

I was in the computer industry for forty-one years. (Yes: Since about the time what has become the Internet was first a gleam in DARPA's eye, and long before it was available to the public.) I saw where this was headed a long time ago. My ex-colleagues in the computer and network security industry likewise saw it coming. (I say "ex-colleagues" because we've all mostly left the field--some out of frustration and disgust.) We all protested vociferously the direction we saw things going. Nobody wanted to hear about it.

And sure enough, just as all us "old-timers" predicted: Here we are.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post