SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Well, I guess I’m the victim of identity theft - odd story to follow...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well, I guess I’m the victim of identity theft - odd story to follow... Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Asked earlier in the thread, here is the process for applying for a new SSN:

https://faq.ssa.gov/en-US/Topic/article/KA-02220

Can I change my Social Security number?

We can assign a different number only if:

Sequential numbers assigned to members of the same family are causing problems;

More than one person is assigned or using the same number;

A victim of identity theft continues to be disadvantaged by using the original number;

There is a situation of harassment, abuse or life endangerment; or

An individual has religious or cultural objections to certain numbers or digits in the original number. (We require written documentation in support of the objection from a religious group with which the number holder has an established relationship.)

When we assign a different Social Security number, we do not destroy the original number. We cross-refer the new number with the original number to make sure the person receives credit for all earnings under both numbers.

People who want to ask for a new Social Security number must:

Apply in person at a Social Security office;

Complete an application;

Provide a statement explaining the reasons for needing a new number;

Provide current, credible, third-party evidence documenting the reasons for needing a new number; and

Provide original documents establishing:
U.S. citizenship or work-authorized immigration status;
Age;
Identity; and
Evidence of a legal name change, if appropriate.
For more information about changing your Social Security number in domestic violence cases, see New Numbers For Domestic Violence Victims.

To request a different Social Security number, contact your local Social Security office for an in-person appointment.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I pay about $160 a year for Zander ID insurance. You ever your data you want them to monitor and they scan the web for it and send alerts when they get hits. I found out recently both my wife and I have all our drivers license info for sale on the dark web. I have credit freezes on the three credit companies.

Zander

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
So when someone files for unemployment at my work, I get the notice.

Imagine my surprise when I receive one, as we haven’t lost anyone in more than three months.

Imagine my surprise when I read that Noah (Beancooker) with SSN xxx-xx-xxxx that matches all my info, filed for unemployment on 11/06/2020.

Now I get to go through the exhausting process of credit freezes, new SSN, changing all kinds of bullshit. Mrs.Cooker will probably have to do the same, which is even more of a PITA, as she wasn’t born here.

Today was a shit day, and at its down point, I simply said, “well it can’t get worse than now”. I guess the powers that be, simply chuckled and said “hold my beer silly boy!”

Same thing happened to me. "I" filed on my own company. What a PITA. Perp's should be castrated, drawn and quartered, in public!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've posted this before, but here are some steps you can take to protect your identify:

1. Freeze your credit reports at the big three credit reporting agencies: Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion.
  2. Freeze your reports at the agency many utilities and service providers use to check you when starting a new service: National Consumer Telecom & Utilities Exchange (NCTUE)
  3. Freeze your reports at the agency many banks and credit unions use when you open a new account: ChexSystems
  4. Sign up for identity theft protection with one of the major identity theft protection services, such as IdentityForce, LifeLock, etc.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention earlier, but if you are doing the recovery yourself, you ought to check out the FTC website for some resources and a recovery plan:
https://www.identitytheft.gov/

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Ensigmatic, which would you recommend? Life Lock or Identity Force?

I need to do this for both me and my wife.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Already went through the FTC site and started a report. Emailed Ensigmatic a question. Now I am heading over to Az DES website to file a fraud report.

Then I have to pick a Protection plan, and see if credit freezes can be done through them, or if I have to go out and manually do them myself.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gascan
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain, found out my identity was stolen while in the middle of closing on a house earlier this year; nearly torpedoed the whole process. I’m not signed up for any credit monitoring service as of yet... froze my credit with the big three credit agencies and put a fraud alert (where anyone opening anything in my name needs to call my cell and confirm). Despite all this, I’ve still had two different banks open accounts in my name without calling to check first. PS, watch your 401k, no-gooders were able get into my old 401k account and create new accounts within it for the purpose of laundering money.

Posts: 135 | Location: Sunny St. Pete | Registered: March 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Well it has come down to Identity Force or Complete ID. Complete ID is only being considered because it’s half the price since I’m a Costco member. Identity Force seems to have better features.

quote:
The “lol” thread

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gascan:
... and put a fraud alert (where anyone opening anything in my name needs to call my cell and confirm).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe fraud alerts only work for people applying for credit in your name?

quote:
Despite all this, I’ve still had two different banks open accounts in my name without calling to check first.

See my earlier post. For more complete protection you need to freeze also at ChexSystems and NCTUE.

quote:
PS, watch your 401k, no-gooders were able get into my old 401k account and create new accounts within it for the purpose of laundering money.

If that is true then one of these things is true: Whomever manages your 401K was compromised, one or more of the devices you use to access your 401K was compromised, or you used the same login credentials for your 401K on-line access as you did elsewhere and an "elsewhere" was compromised.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gascan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
... and put a fraud alert (where anyone opening anything in my name needs to call my cell and confirm).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe fraud alerts only work for people applying for credit in your name?

quote:
Despite all this, I’ve still had two different banks open accounts in my name without calling to check first.

See my earlier post. For more complete protection you need to freeze also at ChexSystems and NCTUE.

quote:
PS, watch your 401k, no-gooders were able get into my old 401k account and create new accounts within it for the purpose of laundering money.

If that is true then one of these things is true: Whomever manages your 401K was compromised, one or more of the devices you use to access your 401K was compromised, or you used the same login credentials for your 401K on-line access as you did elsewhere and an "elsewhere" was compromised.

I was under the impression that banks run a light credit check when opening a new account. I hadn’t accessed that 401k in about 5 years when I received an email alert confirming my personal information with them was getting changed. I’m fairly confident that the compromise happened because they (401k company) required the login password to be a certain personal piece of info and would not give you the option to change it to a proper password. That piece of info was stolen with the rest of my identity.

I just wanted to post a thank you for the information about placing a security freeze with ChexSystems and NCTUE, both of which I’ve now done.

Posts: 135 | Location: Sunny St. Pete | Registered: March 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post