SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Woo Hoo on hot real estate market
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woo Hoo on hot real estate market Login/Join 
posted
Getting ready to sell my house in hot zip code that I bought in 1992. Despite needing some pretty extensive renovations, should get between four and five times what I paid for it. New place to live not a problem because I am moving back to home town and will be living in deceased Aunt’s house to help my disabled cousin be anle to afford to stay there. He lives in a garage apartment behind the house that is actually bigger than the house. Will be back home and only a few blocks from my mom and sister.

Posts: 401 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Best wishes Melissa on the house sale and your new place and start. And to be near family. Sounds like a great thing all around. God is good! Blessings. Smile

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. That sounds like the perfect situation for the current real estate market.

Selling a spare house right now is fantastic. You'll make tons of money.

But selling your only house, while also trying to turn around and buy a new one... not so much. The profit you make ends up having to be dumped right back into fighting for a new place.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Congratulations. That sounds like the perfect situation for the current real estate market.

But selling your only house, while also trying to turn around and buy a new one... not so much. The profit you make ends up having to be dumped right back into fighting for a new place.

I was going to say the same thing - congratulations - but also a question:

Is there any way to avoid the tax implications of not re-investing in another primary residence? I mean it's a good problem to have, just wondering if there is any way around it?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:

Is there any way to avoid the tax implications of not re-investing in another primary residence? I mean it's a good problem to have, just wondering if there is any way around it?

Currently as long as you are under $250,000 capital gains and single it is exempt. I paid $49,000 for the house.

Posts: 401 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MelissaDallas:
Currently as long as you are under $250,000 capital gains and single it is exempt. I paid $49,000 for the house.

That is awesome! Score!!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And you get out of Dallas County, added bonus.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:

My understanding of the law over the past couple of decades is that the sale of a primary residence with capital gain is usually treated as a non-taxable event, the basic standard being that you resided in the home for two of the previous 5 years.

Used to be a requirement for reinvestment in another primary residence of equal or greater value within a specified period of time (two years?), and the tax-free capital gain provision was limited to once per lifetime.

Not anymore. You can do it again and again, provided you comply with the "primary residence" standards of occupancy and use.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ox190:
And you get out of Dallas County, added bonus.

Well, Denton is a big improvement in a lot of ways, but with two colleges they work very hard to be “California-ized.” The fun part is going to be finding a job and not having to commute. I want an in-town job.

posted Hide Post
That's great -- I hope you have a well designed plan for what to do with the proceeds.

It's basically equivalent to winning a large lottery drawing.

Please don't be one of the YOLO people who are poor half-dead in a ditch 2 years later... Big Grin

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
That's great -- I hope you have a well designed plan for what to do with the proceeds.

It's basically equivalent to winning a large lottery drawing.

Please don't be one of the YOLO people who are poor half-dead in a ditch 2 years later... Big Grin

--------------------------------

I am very conservative money-wise and have always lived below my means. I figure if I am living by myself (without sharing expenses with cousin) I need about $1000 a month to supplement Social Security. I also have a fair amount in bank and retirement savings. Aside from doing a few things to the house I don’t intend to spend any of it. My sister, cousin and I are all childless and “end of the line.” We intend to go to the estate planning lawyer to make sure we take care of each other. If my cousin dies he will leave the house to me. St some point (although my mom’s family has some long-lived folks)I will also inherit a substantial amount, though she might outlive me…