SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Desktop computer recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Desktop computer recommendations Login/Join 
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
If you decide to buy a refurbished computer just remember that Windows 10 EOL is scheduled for 2025.

Windows 11 System Requirements:
https://support.microsoft.com/...82-9efd-7674389a7ba3

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1735 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
get something with windows 11,, win 10 is end of life -

Posts: 233 | Location: dallas tx | Registered: April 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mac Mini if you want to go the Apple route. A great deal for a very quiet, small footprint system.

Posts: 163 | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
The M1 Mac mini is impressive. Given what the OP listed as his needs, the mini would be perfect.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
The M1 Mac mini is impressive. Given what the OP listed as his needs, the mini would be perfect.

The M2 mini is coming soon (early 2023?). Two versions, the plain M2, and the M2 Pro/Max which will replace the current high end 2018 Intel model.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
While not what you asked for System 76 makes fully Open Source and fully user configurable Linux based computers in desktop towers, minis and laptops. You can sandbox applications and install Windows if you wish.

I use a work provided HP Windows laptop and a 13yr old MacBook Pro for all personal stuff that’s going strong.

Recently installed Libre Office, an Open Source office platform that replaces Microsoft Office. So far I like it and it mimics MS Office pretty well and actually does some things much better. There may be some recent or high level functions that it cannot do, but you would have to be a real Power User to hit that wall. It also read/writes to native MS Office formats as an option. Several countries outside the US are standardized on it as well and it costs you Zero unless you chose to make a donation.

Due to privacy concerns I’m cutting as much of BIG Tech out of my life as humanly possible.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3631 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I’ve zero clue what I’m looking at here.

Wanting to buy a desktop computer for general family use. Internet browsing, Microsoft office programs, probably some zoom or Teams meetings, nothing crazy. No serious gaming or media needs.

Don’t need a monitor or anything else, have plenty laying around catching dust already. Just a tower.

I get overwhelmed looking. I have absolutely no clue what this stuff is. I know this is a lot of you guys’ area of expertise. Any suggestions? Reasonable budget, ok with paying a little extra for something that will get us 2-3 extra years of use. We currently use laptops. My 4 year old one is plugged into 2 monitors for our “desktop”.

1. What is wrong with the laptop that makes you want to replace it? 2 of my 3 daily use computers are laptops 'docked' to monitors/keyboards. Work has 3 monitors including the laptop screen. It's a 5yo Core i5 & has no trouble keeping up.
2. For your description, damn near anything would have enough capability.

For starters, I'd recommend:
Core i5-anything. I am using Core i5 4th, 6th & 7th generation (current is 13th) and have no problem with office, browsing, 3D printing, light CAD, etc.
8 or 16GB of RAM. 8 enough, 16 slightly better
at least 240GB SSD, preferably 500+GB. Anything smaller than 240 will likely have 1 channel & be slower.

Personally, I'd keep the hardware you have until it croaks. If it doesn't have SSD, spend <$100 & get one. Then install Win11 & office.
If you need a win11/10 or office key, I got cheap ones & recommended the same site recently in another thread. I believe thumperfbc used it with no issues.
Other thread .

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
I’ll add a vote for the Mac Mini as well. I’ll even give you a great deal on a very lightly used one if interested…
If chongosuerte isn't interested, I might be.

Specs?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
I’ll add a vote for the Mac Mini as well. I’ll even give you a great deal on a very lightly used one if interested…
If chongosuerte isn't interested, I might be.

Specs?

Don’t want to hijack Congo’s thread, I’ve posted in classified here:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/4970055594

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10944 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Only thing I'll add is to make sure you get more than enough of a power supply.

The Dells I have had in the past skimped on that and I guess it's pretty common practice on pre-built stuff.

Maybe it isn't much of an issue anymore?

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://click.online.costco.com...79D44BAD797B5EF9BCDE

for consideration, additional 1 year warranty

Posts: 256 | Location: Stafford, VA | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Sorry, crazy busy week…appreciate the responses.

I’m staying with windows, vs Mac. Generous offer and I appreciate that too.

I’m wanting a new one primarily because of space…would take the place of the laptop I’ve got docked now and free it up for me to be mobile with. Desktop would be for general family use.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
https://www.costco.com/lenovo-...oduct.100857954.html

Something like that? If running dual monitors, you may want one with more video output options.

Do you have this? I actually have this same question as OP as I am looking to replace my mothers 7 year old PC. Just need something that is fairly cheap yet built well enough to last the next 5-7 years

Posts: 35 | Location: Slidell, LA | Registered: February 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you use iPhones the Mac mini will amaze you with the system integration. And it is smaller than any tower which you made mention of space issues. If you are Android user ignore the above statements, no advantage for you.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post