SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Precious metals investment for beginners
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Precious metals investment for beginners Login/Join 
Picture of RanRan
posted
Hello all,

I'm looking at getting into investing in precious metals to diversify a bit and it's completely foreign to me. I currently have a 457 through work, and a Roth IRA. Want to get into precious metals.

Do you have any tips for starters? Better to jump into to gold and buy just a bit or better to buy a bigger load of silver? My initial investment will be about $2500-3000.

Any suggestions on places to buy? Suggestions on what to buy as well, is it better to buy coins like the Krugerrand, or just buy bars? I see on some sites buying coins like the American eagle and Krugerrand are more expensive than buying just bars.

Thanks for any feed back

Posts: 174 | Registered: December 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I'd think a precious metals ETF would be a better investment than actual metal, cheaper to buy, perhaps generating earnings, and far more liquid.

I prefer to stay diversified with "rounds" of lead and brass rather than gold.

Posts: 6487 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
No doubt ETF's are much easier to sell (and buy).
Some people like buying physical but for me as an investment ETF's are the way to go.
I still have some coins and other physical but since it is not as easy to sell they tend to be the last thing I liquidate.
YMMV

Posts: 22921 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I don't think this is really an investment for an amateur.
Lots of people selling that as an investment are pretty scam like salesman.
If you insist, maybe a precious metals mutual fund that is professionally managed after a lot of research.

Posts: 9523 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
At one point I bought a whole bunch of bars and coins here:

https://www.apmex.com/search?q...YEAAYASAAEgIldPD_BwE

I enjoyed physically holding it, but agree with the above for your purposes an EFT would be just fine.

Just know the price of silver hasn't done much the past 5 years. You missed a low opportunity in March. .

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Consider this...are you seeking an investment (make money from it) or do you want an insurance policy against inflation/devaluation of the U.S. dollar? There is a big difference.

For the actual purchase, start by checking our your local coin dealers. Check them out to make sure they are reputable. Some are, some not so much. You can get some good deals buying locally vs. purchasing over the internet because you will always pay a heavier markup above the market price for the precious metal. Start off with some silver, pretty inexpensive to start with and learn from there.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jcsabolt2,

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3631 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I bought physical gold and silver and never considered it an "investment". For me, it is SHTF capital, a means to retain some sort of wealth if the Dollar heads south.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16709 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
if the Dollar heads south.

If you listen to Peter Schiff, Jim Rogers, Ron Paul, Doug Casey, and Gerald Celente, among others, the Dollar should have already collapsed!

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I feel that if I don't physically have possession of the metals they may not even exist. Too many "investment" scams out there.

"Sure, we've got your gold in our vault" ...

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16524 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Waterbury on bullion and possession. I was told a few years back that the actual amount of bullion backing the paper of ETF's is less than 10%.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Oddball is right. Gold really isn't an investment to gain value but more of a hedge specifically against inflation.

As far as gold via ETF versus physical bars, consider this: if gold does increase and you bought ETF or some other certificate type and later sold, that transaction would be captured and accounted for in terms of taxes owed. If on the other hand, you bought and stored physical gold, you can sell the physical gold with no transactions recorded as to your cost basis for tax purposes. That's if you think income taxes are exorbitant and oppressive.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19676 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
The old saying is “If you can’t hold it in your hand, then you don’t really own it.”

As for coins vs bars, go with government-issued coins versus “rounds”, as they have already been weighed out and have an official stamp on them. Each bar, while it may have a weight and fineness stamped on it, will have to be re-weighed and checked for fitness each time.

And bullion is a hedge against inflation not as an investment as such, unless you want to speculate.

Bullion will always have an intrinsic value, while paper only has a value if someone will accept it based upon the trust of the issuing organization.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2702 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Physical and I like junk silver. Get a mix of dimes, quarters, halves and dollars so making change is not a hassle. Gun shows are often good places to buy. Stack it high and deep.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Went to a Louisville show a few years back, like 10 maybe. A guy in the aisle we were in had some really cool stuff. I was interested in his Randall knife sheaths. I foolishly bought 2 but left the other one.

Then as I was about to walk away, I noticed he had a couple of gold coins. Always interested, I asked him about them. They weren't for sale, but he showed me how he could pick them up with a magnet! I need one of those, a magnet that picks up gold! But then he handed me one of the coins, I just felt a little too light. Like it was stamped from steel. Frown

The idea being to take along a drug scale, or we call them reloading scales. Learn in advance how many grains each weighs. Unless you're way smarter than me, write it down.

Also, there is a bunch of mythology involved. My buddy Joe, who was a wholesale jeweler, has done scrapping all his adult life. Myths aren't always true. My poor father passed way back in 1980. Like so much associated with the depression, one myth was no body had anything. Well, he had some gold coins. My mother gave the $20s to my brother. Feeling guilty because she always gave him the best things, she gave me $1 and a $5.

So a year or 2 ago, I brought them to a gun show to let Joe have a look. He instantly said the $1 is a fake. I wasn't really offended, I just wanted to know why he thought that. He said it was common knowledge within the coin community. I was amused at being that far ahead of the curve! They'd been in his "stuff" since the depression. Go figure. The Chinese picked my old man for a sucker 80+ years ago.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Do your thing your way, but always remember two things:
1) A thing is only worth what someone ELSE will pay for it...at any given moment.
2) A thing can be unavailable to purchase, especially if the price is at an extreme low.

Real life examples from my experience: I wanted to sell a relatively rare gold coin, but none of the dealers wanted to pay anything significant over spot value. Oh but they sure sell them for high premiums due to "rarity".
Then, when metals prices sank to very attractive spot prices guess what? Yep, sold out...everywhere.
Which I suspect was most often a lie. Rather I think they had shitloads of stuff but weren't about to sell for the new low prices the market indicated.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
15 or so years ago, gold tanked. As in around $300 an ounce. We'd been going to the little show in Mt. Sterling, KY for a long time. One of the vendors had a Kuggerand in his case, and I'd been tormenting him trying to buy it. He wouldn't come down at all. So that one day, I made my usual pass and again saw the coin. He must have took me for a browser and called my bluff. He said he'd sell it to me for $300 if I bought it in the next minute. That was enough time that I didn't need to tear my pants getting the billfold out. Strike when the iron is hot.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Oddball is right. Gold really isn't an investment to gain value but more of a hedge specifically against inflation.

As far as gold via ETF versus physical bars, consider this: if gold does increase and you bought ETF or some other certificate type and later sold, that transaction would be captured and accounted for in terms of taxes owed. If on the other hand, you bought and stored physical gold, you can sell the physical gold with no transactions recorded as to your cost basis for tax purposes. That's if you think income taxes are exorbitant and oppressive.

Depends on the size of the sale. Dealers are required to report sales above a certain amount.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
https://www.longtermtrends.net...-vs-gold-comparison/

If you want precious metals I’d go with the Vanguard precious metals fund. Easy in, easy out, or a low cost ETF.

Just to back up a bit, compare historical returns of metals to the overall market. There have been some sharp bumps, up & down, much of the time returns have been lackluster. With hindsight many seem to think they can call those bumps.

Common advice would be to only put a small portion into gold or silver, as part of the larger, diversified portfolio.

Let’s say SHTF develops, for real, do you pass a few bars of silver to the neighbor for 1/2 a cow? Before we get there, chaos will be widespread. Those beans & a case of 223 may be more valuable.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
investing in precious metals to diversify a bit

PMs can help diversify risk as a percentage of a portfolio - it sounds like that's what you're looking to do, rather than trying to time the market and use it as a way to buy-low and sell-high.

GLD and SIVR are good ETFs (gold and silver, respectively). Depending on where your account is, they may even be commission-free trades.

What I would do, if building a position to hold indefinitely, is decide which of the above you prefer (gold vs silver), divide the investment into three parts, and use 1/3 to buy now, 1/3 to buy 30 days after, and use the rest 30 days after that. Especially in a zero-commission account, that gets you a sort of 'dollar-cost-averaged' price and in a low/no commission account, splitting into three transactions to do that isn't whacking you with transactions costs.

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post