SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any members using an inversion table for back issues?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any members using an inversion table for back issues? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
If it's raining, we can drape a tarp over you.

Just 10 bucks more...

If the tarp is painted like a pinata, you can charge the neighbor kids $5 a wack and the victim, er, customer another $25 for the "deep tissue massage" Smile

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I've had a Hangups for the last 15 years or so. It has provided much relief over the years. Go easy and have someone nearby to help you. Once you heal up a bit, learn some good yoga exercises to strengthen your core muscles. That will help more than anything.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the input guys. Im seeing an Orthopedist this afternoon and will get his opinion based on his findings. Thank you all.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7494 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailhook 84:
Another Teeter user here. I've had it for 6 years and it really has helped with the pain in the upper and middle back. I need it just about once a week or so to keep everything aligned. I only use it at -20 degrees for about 15 minutes per session because any greater angles or longer time really stresses my knees. But my back really does feel better, and for a longer time.
My wife had a 20 year old back injury surge into prominence again just this morning. Just got her back from the doctor and filled a scrip for muscle relaxers. What is the best way/place to purchase one of these Teeter's, to everyone's experience?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 83v45magna,

Posts: 7249 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Im prob going to go the Craigslist route in the event the results are nil, or minimal. Doc said lower lumbar were fusing L4-5, going to get an mri next, then prob cortisone shots for diagnostic purposes, then moving on to some nerve burning device to alleviate pain. He wasnt a fan of the tables saying that the spine will again begin to compress once I go upright. I still may try it though.

Posts: 7494 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I have an L5 Pars defect, disc slipping. I do core exercises to strengthen my back and stomach and have dropped 35 pounds (working on 20 more) too. Lose weight, strengthen your core and live like your back will break easily (I.e. that anything you lift or do will destroy your back). All that can help me now is surgery but that's my very last resort and there is no guarantee that will help. Right now it's only problematic about 3-4 days every 1-2 years and during that time my back is so bad I have a hard time moving.

Posts: 4098 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
quote:
Originally posted by Tailhook 84:
Another Teeter user here. I've had it for 6 years and it really has helped with the pain in the upper and middle back. I need it just about once a week or so to keep everything aligned. I only use it at -20 degrees for about 15 minutes per session because any greater angles or longer time really stresses my knees. But my back really does feel better, and for a longer time.
My wife had a 20 year old back injury surge into prominence again just this morning. Just got her back from the doctor and filled a scrip for muscle relaxers. What is the best way/place to purchase one of these Teeter's, to everyone's experience?
I bought mine at Play it Again Sports when I lived in Anchorage. They sold both Teeter and the off brand I bought. The Teeter had a tiny round tube frame, but mine had 2"x2" square frame and was rated 100 lbs more load than the more expensive Teeter.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
For some reason I read the thread title as some odd reference to a mathematical algorithm for finding old paper magazines. I finally realized what was actually being asked and clicked on the link.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damaged lower back here. My dad got an inversion table years ago and I only recently started using it when visiting him. It seems to help relieve my issues momentarily.

In the last year I've had three weeks where I was out of the game. Couldn't walk or barely breathe and the pain was outrageous. After bed rest, lots of meds, dry needling, physiatrists, creams, electrodes and other crap, I finally got moving around again and gave yoga and the inversion table more of a chance.

I've gone about a year without throwing my back out again. It's still pretty destroyed and the muscle relaxers come out when needed, but I think it would be worth trying if a deal comes along.

I'm 33, 195lbs and I know I could probably stand to drop some weight and work out and build my core. Honestly, if the pain weren't that bad everyday, I probably would make more of an effort.

Posts: 2170 | Location: Atlanta  | Registered: February 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
I have one in the basement that I will GIVE you - if you'll pay the shipping on it. It's NOT a "Teeter" but it looks fairly substantial to me. After my last spine "procedure" (operation #7) I'm a little afraid to use it... But whatever you do -> LISTEN to the guys on this forum; some are giving good advice.... especially the parts about starting your inversion at lesser angles (my neurosurgeon told me to start at about 15 degrees off horizontal), and come up SLOWLY - always having someone around to help in case you need them. Send me a PM if you're interested..... FredT

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Did not work for me. that's lss important than this though: What DID work for me was joining my local YMCA, and picking up the dumbbells and lifting in various forms to build some mid and upper body strength. As I thought I'd suffer with back pain forever, and now I do not (except for some neck issues when I spend too long at the computer).

By the way, I too was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease in my shoulders. I think everybody has some of that show up in the scans. Particularly everybody over 40. So I truly suspect that if you dropped the extra 40 and did some moderate weight lifting, there's a good chance you could leave back issues in your past.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy Teeter owner here, it has helped me. Herniated L4-L5, bulging L3-L4, stenosis, degenerative disc and sciatica. My real problem is it would randomly pinch every other month which would result in musculature shifting of my entire back (picture a question mark). I gave up running years ago and switched to cycling, am in shape and not overweight, have a strong core, etc. Still have issues.

I'm actually going in this Monday for my annual spinal injection (also helps a lot). I get a deep tissue massage (not the candles/incense kind of massage, but the kind you end up bruised the next day) once a month. I added the Teeter as another one of my treatment options (use it daily) and in the past year the frequency of my "pinches" have become significantly less. The Teeter doesn't offer immediate relief but rather a gradual buildup of relief for me. I purchased mine from them directly and you receive a pretty detailed program to start with on how to begin using it (gradual increase of angle, etc.).

I don't think there is any one "cure" for back issues, but rather believe in using multiple treatments which all seem to complement one another (at least for me).

Posts: 1625 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jtedescucci:
I have one in the basement that I will GIVE you - if you'll pay the shipping on it. It's NOT a "Teeter" but it looks fairly substantial to me. After my last spine "procedure" (operation #7) I'm a little afraid to use it... But whatever you do -> LISTEN to the guys on this forum; some are giving good advice.... especially the parts about starting your inversion at lesser angles (my neurosurgeon told me to start at about 15 degrees off horizontal), and come up SLOWLY - always having someone around to help in case you need them. Send me a PM if you're interested..... FredT

Thanks for the very generous offer Fred. I didnt see any contact info in your profile, but didnt want your offer to go unacknowledged. I can get one here for less than 100.00, so please, not to even bother boxing yours up and shipping it. Thanks again though.

posted Hide Post
FWIW: Mine is not a teeter; but it seems to function adequately. I got it at Big 5 Sports on sale for about $90 and it has lasted for many years.
An inversion table is not rocket-surgery equipment.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post