SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any members using an inversion table for back issues?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any members using an inversion table for back issues? Login/Join 
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted
I've had back issues for years now, and have been diagnosed with a degenerative disc disorder in my lower lumbar. I hear this happens to lots of folks. I'm probably carrying about 40 more lbs. than recommended, but am in decent shape for my age, 52. Over the weekend I put a serious hurt on my back, and haven't recovered as quickly as usual. Other than go see a doctor, can anyone with back problems tell me if an inversion table has improved their condition? I tried a friends last night for about 10 minutes with no noticible improvement, nor did I expect one right away though. I'm considering a Craigs List purchase. Thanks.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7494 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
For fifty bucks, I'll hang you upside down by your feet off the side of your house.

For another fifty, I'll haul you down afterwards.

Just let me get my rope...

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107489 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
When I have low back / sciatica, my inversion table provides some relief. It doesn't do anything for other back regions (eg mid-back). I have not had low back / sciatica pain since moving to Texas last summer and haven't used my inversion table in Houston.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
I use mine regularly. It seems to help if I stay with the program.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
For fifty bucks, I'll hang you upside down by your feet off the side of your house.

For another fifty, I'll haul you down afterwards.

Just let me get my rope...

Or hang'em from the t'other end, let him fall, then suddenly arrest the fall.

Stops back pain.

To the OP: I have severe spinal problems and tried an inversion table.

At best it's of some benefit.

At worst it caused me such pain I thought I'd blown another disc and I spent an hour trying to get off the thing (always use when there is someone to save you should your back give out).

If you try one, start with a shallow head-down angle, and work to increase the angle while working up to longer sessions slowly, about 3 minutes at a time until you are up to 15 minutes, before increasing the angle.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31426 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If it's raining, we can drape a tarp over you.

Just 10 bucks more...

Posts: 107489 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Can we choose the color of the tarp for $15?

OP, I don't own one but we have one at work. I hang from it during my lunch break. It doesn't really help as much as going to my quack doctor (chiropractor) but it's 20 minutes without my duty belt on and it relaxes me. I fall asleep sometimes.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8011 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just 10 bucks more...

How much for the Birthday party?

We already have a stick.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
I have an inversion table, and my issue is not the stretch which is fine, but the compression when I get back upright this is a killer pain to me and my back issues.

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I like them, feels good - like going to a quack doctor without having to pay a quack doctor.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
While waiting at Sears to get my air compressor repaired, I read the recall notices on the bulletin board.

One was for their inversion device.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a recent SI joint (sacroiliac) injury/inflammation and was desperately trying everything I could fine to alleviate pain.

In addition to other stretches, my physical therapist said the inversion table was good. I already had one and had used it periodically.

It does seem to help, but not nearly as dramatically as it seems like it ought to. It is just another stretch in the whole recovery process.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I have had a Teeter EP950 for a few years and it's been great.

Don't have any diagnosed back issue but it helps with the times my back feels like it needs to be stretched out.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had back issues most of my life. One day I came home from work really needed some relief. So I backed my truck up to my garage door made a hitch on my ankles and hooked it to my electric hoist just outside of the garage. I picked myself up until I was hanging free start to relax only to realize there was a nest of bees inside the garage wall and I had pissed them off.
True story.

I have a very nice incline bench "hand-up" I think. I live in Weybridge VT. How far away are you? It's yours if you want it.

My email was S in my profile.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1125 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Funny story TBH, and thanks for the offer on the bench, I'm on LI, in NY, so that's not going to work.

I'm going to visit the Dr., and get his thoughts, enough of this pain already. Overall, experiences seem to be towards the positive side, and I can take 100.00 hit if it winds up being a bust. Not much to loose, plenty to gain, I can barely sleep at night at this point. Thanks for the help.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7494 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just fly the friendly skies, they'll stretch your back out for you as they drag you off the plane.Remember to go limp , they say it helps align the spine.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:

Just 10 bucks more...

How much for the Birthday party?

We already have a stick.

Oh a piñata

I also have been diagnosed, a long time ago, with degenerative disc disorder in lower back.

You would be surprised what is found in a CT Scan for post treatment of Lung Cancer.

Maybe someone can help me decipher all this.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I suffered (really really) one year for about five months with a problem that never worked itself out. Someone kept recommending inversion and I just kept dismissing the idea as silly. One day at work I held onto a pipe and kind of hung there a minute and that brought some relief. I decided to try buying a table. I used it three times and the pain was gone for good. I suffered for 5 months and fixed it in about four days. Man I kicked myself for not listening to that person.

I've used it off and on as needed for the things over the years. When I was still playing ball on the weekends I would use it in the morning to stretch before hand. I used to use it all the time. The problem I had is it really hurt my feet. (280 pounds hanging on a bar pressing on the top of your foot will do that) So I had to buy the "boots" for it, and while they're comfortable and I can use the table pain free, it's far less convenient. I can't just hop on it for a few minutes on a whim.

My father's back is an awful mess. He used my table some and it helped him a lot. He bought his own and uses it twice a day. It's the only thing keeping him going.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
It's a form of traction often recommended by physicians, and as you have read, can be quite helpful for some people. I have a Teeter, a quality piece of equipment, I like it and have benefited quite a bit using it. Candidly, I don't use it much now despite degenerative disk disease and a bulging lumbar disk since I lost 50 lbs and now get more exercise. That said, I'm keeping it. My back isn't getting any younger.

You should ease into it, create a structured program, stick to it, and give it time. People frequently give up on inversion tables too quickly and never realize any benefits. They can be hard on your ankles and knees. As some have mentioned, re-compression can be the tricky part, so you want to come back upright slowly. I found alternating 80% inversion to level at 30-45 second intervals to be helpful when my back was at its worst. Feels great when my back is locked up in spasm.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Another Teeter user here. I've had it for 6 years and it really has helped with the pain in the upper and middle back. I need it just about once a week or so to keep everything aligned. I only use it at -20 degrees for about 15 minutes per session because any greater angles or longer time really stresses my knees. But my back really does feel better, and for a longer time.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post