SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    50.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

50. Login/Join 
posted
I know it's just a number, but it's a pretty damn big number.

I'm here, and got a lot more to go. There's still a lot of tread left on the tires, and gas in the tank.

Many of my friends haven't made it this far, some that did look a lot worse than me. I'm not saying that I'm garage kept in any way. A lot of use and abuse in the last 5 decades. Broken bones, stitches, dings and dents... the majority of them earned over a crazy life of fun and excitement! Hey, chicks dig scars, and that's why my wife still loves me, well, I also can still preform (in the kitchen- get your minds out of the gutter! Wink) I've been places and done stuff that not many have done. Just thinking about it, over half that 50 have been in a Chicago Police Uniform. A few of the younger officers that I have working with me have less time on the planet than I have on the job. That was the moment when I knew I was "old", I just thought I was "old" when I could feel my bones ache when the weather changed.

There's no way that I'm running a 3 mile under 17 min, pull-ups and push-ups all day for fun, humping around with a 50+lb pack on, benching 300 or hopping in the ring for a few rounds like the days of my impetus youth. The back, shoulders, knees got a lot of wear on them, but the old fart still has some moves in him! I've surprised a lot of my younger officers over this past summer of "mostly peaceful protests".

Thankfully, with that age came wisdom! I've learned a lot from my past mistakes. (Even better, I've learned a lot from others mistakesWink ) I'm fortunate enough to be in a position where I can share it with those that want to listen. The ones that don't, I show where the "land mines" are before they hit them, then when they do, it's the "I told you so" routine.

I get to see the Doc next week and get the full check up (yeah, that part too), but I've been semi-regular about it, and all the numbers are good so far. I know I need to quit smoking, and that's next. I'm still in relatively good shape (round is still considered a shape, correct?), but started to push it in the gym a little harder, mostly to just "thumb my nose" at that rather large number that I'm at.

The kids still love me, the wife hasn't put the pillow over my head yet (sorry Babe, can't do it now- I'm pensionable!)... Which brings me to an upcoming milestone in my life: *** technically *** I can pull the pin any time I want and walk away from this circus. (Realistically, I've got about 2 1/2 years left, but résumés are going out in a little over a year) I'm no where near ready to hop in the rocking chair and take up whittling while the sun sets, "Objects in motion stay in motion until stopped by a greater force". I've got a few ideas on what's and where's next, and a few more options just came up thanks to a call from an old boss back in my Marine Corps days. I'm looking forward to walking away from this circus, but I'm really going to miss some of these clowns.

I'm just happy to be here (and still have all my hair and sence of humor).

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8354 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I reached Dinosaur when I became the oldest guy on road patrol. I knew my days were numbered, as street police work is a young mans game. I had no real interest in promotion (being FOP President helped with that), or riding a desk. I enjoyed the hunt too much to go indoors. I still miss the guys I worked with and the action. CPD Sig, ride out your remaining time safely and good luck with the next chapter of your life.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16102 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’m sure thinking about residency in another State is on the list too. Plenty of light showing through from the end of the tunnel.

All the best these last months.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Working out is the fountain of youth. I hit double nickels back in July and aside from the last 6 months from gyms being closed have been working out since 20. I’m the oldest guy on staff and in better shape than all but 3 of them. Aches and pains are inevitable but I’m faring far better than I would be if I was just worsens existing.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15601 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
You ain’t old! Just ask most of us here!

As you noted your age is just a number and realistically you (and I) can’t do all the things we could at 25 we are smarter and that counts!

You have a lot of good years in front of you IF you get serious about taking care of yourself. Quit smoking and live the rest of your life.

Happy Birthday!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6327 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the club! You are now officially a geezer.

Occasionally, in my martial arts class, I will give out a groan (often after getting taken to the ground), and some whipper snapper will make a comment. I just retort, "It's just my body reminding me I'm not 50 anymore."

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4878 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
You're only old if you feel old....I only feel old in the morning! Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8922 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Who was it that said, "How old would you be if you didn't know hold old you was?" Satchel Paige?

I hit this milestone myself this year. Enjoy it.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
I hear you brother. I’m looking at that little “number” next week. I honestly never thought I’d see it. But here I am, thankful my kids, who are going up north with me this weekend, and my wife still want me me around, unless there’s an October surprise coming! Happy birthday and congrats! Oh, you shoulda put in for the Police Chief job in Milwaukee! Haha, they don’t deserve you

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Congrats on reaching 50 CPD SIG!! Smile

May you get 50 more! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Where are you sending resumes?

Year V

Posts: 2632 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the 50th!

That’s a long time on the CPD. I was in Chicago back in Feb of 2001. You would have already been on the force for a few years at that time.
Was a cool place for a one day layover. Stayed at the Holiday Inn just down the street from the Amtrak station. I had Giordanno’s pizza for dinner, and the rest of the time ate Gold Coast Hot Dogs. I want to go back for some hot dogs, but Chicago kind of sucks now.
I rode out the red line north? for a handful of stops. Was going to get off and look around and was warned by a woman that I should get on the train going back to downtown. Getting out where I was at, she said was a bad idea.

Anyways, congratulations. I hope you find something really good when you decide to leave the CPD.
Thank you for the job you do. I can’t even imagine. Stay safe brother.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
CPDSIG,

Congratulations on being eligible for AARP!

You're sounding like Mel Gibson in one of the Lethal Weapons, where he hates it when the bad guys make him run to chase them.

We sound somewhat alike, in that we've both lead full lives. I've done a lot of things others don't get (or won't take) the chance to do. I celebrated 55 by skydiving. At 60, I went helicopter canyoneering and mountain biking. I've traveled a lot, throughout the US and abroad. The key is, don't stop! (I did, however, start losing my hair in my 20s, and started shaving my head in my 30s, so there is that.)

I did learn (retrospectively) three things when I turned 50:

1. My prostate was OK.
2. Don't eat Mexican food the day before your doctor's appointment.
3. There's no way I could ever be gay.

Keep on keeping on!

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3301 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats !

--------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! You sound well set for 50. I'm 55 next month, and as you say, it's just a number.

Living well is the best reward, and the best revenge. Good luck with the smoking thing. You will be happy when you kick it.

God bless and good luck.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12784 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday! You sure still have your mind and sense of humor after all the Chicago bullshit! Hope the next 2 1/2 years go smoothly!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38693 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I just turned 40 in August, so thanks for making feel young(er) again, guys! Wink

Seriously, though. They say 40 is the new 30 and I think I believe it. I'll revisit that notion if/when I really start "falling apart".

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats

I turn 49 next month and I am not accepting getting older. I guess it runs in the family because my father is not either.

I have to agree with the other forum members in that we need to keep moving, eat healthy, and train smart. (The last part I still have trouble with).

I am like you in that I push myself and can still go the distance and more over the younger soldiers and Officers.

In fact just this morning I sent in my paperwork to re-enlist in the USAR and attempt to get an interview in one of the specialized Intelligence field. I really wanted Combat Engineers but I am trying that whole smarter thing first and plus I just don't have any patience with and BS of a line unit right now.

Now I am not running 6 minute mile but I am slowly working toward sub 8min which was my average before I hurt my back. With that being I am still beating guys have my age.

I think the problem is that many like us are not desk people and have no interest in being a cubicle commando.

Also at least for me some of these opportunities were not present when I was in my 20's or early 30's which is why I re-enlisted when i was 36ish.

Congrats on making the number but the biggest congrats is powering on, and enjoying what you enjoy and not ready to throw in the towel.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday.

I hit 50 in April of this year.

Just remember it isn't the age it is the miles.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I turned 50 in January. I can feel it. Before you pull the pin, realize that being a cop is not your identity. When I was forced to retire I hadn’t figured it out and it was difficult for me because it came overnight due to my stroke. I had few friends who weren’t in Blue. When I retired those “friends” never came around or talk to me. Having a good hobby has introduced me to other folks and Moving to another state/town has showed me that not everyone is a criminal. (When I go back to visit I do run into people I’ve arrested...which is one of the reasons we never went to places where I worked)

Congrats

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11293 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post