SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I've been living under a rock - FedEx no longer allows firearm shipping from non-FFL people.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I've been living under a rock - FedEx no longer allows firearm shipping from non-FFL people. Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
I used to ship with them all the time but haven't shipped one in a year or so. Apparently, their new policy came out late last year.

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/sh...o-ship-firearms.html
quote:
Steps for how to ship firearms

Shippers with a Federal Firearm License

Only customers holding a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and federal, state, or local government agencies may ship firearms with FedEx. Customers holding an FFL must enter into an approved FedEx Firearms Shipping Compliance Agreement before shipping any firearms with FedEx. For more information, contact your FedEx account executive.

Nonlicensee shippers

Nonlicensees are prohibited from shipping firearms with FedEx.

Also noted in their 2021 Service Guide, p. 125.
https://www.fedex.com/content/...rvice_Guide_2021.pdf
quote:
Only customers holding a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and federal, state, or local
government agencies may ship firearms with FedEx. Customers holding an FFL must enter
into an approved FedEx Firearms Shipping Compliance Agreement before shipping any
firearms with FedEx. For more information, contact your FedEx account executive.

Q

Posts: 26541 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Now, this brings up the question. How do we non-licensees ship guns to manufacturers like SIG for service/repair? I know SIG uses FedEx for the 2-day firearm shipping, but I haven't shipped to them for some time, now. Do they still use FedEx, or have they changed to UPS?

Q

Posts: 26541 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Can they make arrangements by sending a pick up label they tack onto the ticket when done? That way they can send it back to you too without a transfer (I think?).
That's what S&W did a few years ago when I have to send one back for a recheck.

Posts: 9557 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Interesting twist. What happens if you have to send to a gunsmith like Robert Burke or Gray Guns? I’d think this puts a definite kink in their business. Fortunately I’m within driving distance of Robert.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I always used UPS (much better than FedEx in our area, though I've seen the converse in other areas) and never had a problem. I guess we're stuck going to an FFL if UPS changes their policy.

Hmmm, question: Only an FFL can ship a handgun via US Mail. Does an FFL 03 (Collector) count? If it doesn't count for US mail, does it count for FedEx? Curious...

Posts: 6928 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Last time I sent a gun out, I used shipmygun.com. I think that ended up going through UPS, but was way cheaper to use theirs than my own account with UPS.

Posts: 3572 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Now, this brings up the question. How do we non-licensees ship guns to manufacturers like SIG for service/repair? I know SIG uses FedEx for the 2-day firearm shipping, but I haven't shipped to them for some time, now. Do they still use FedEx, or have they changed to UPS?

I’d guess if Sig, or another manufacturer, sends you a prepaid shipping label, technically they are the shipper, not you, so that meets the rules.

Posts: 3343 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Yes, but what happens if the gun "disappears" in transit? FedEx policy was always that only the "shipper" can contact them and get anything done about that. My guess would be that I'd be a lot more frantic about one of my guns being "lost" than Customer Service would be.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used Ship My Gun, which is part of Buds Guns, a few years ago to ship a rifle I sold to a friend in GA. Naturally it went to an FFL. They used FedEx which was convenient because a hub was a few minutes from my house. Im getting ready to sell a couple of handguns out of state and checked with them only to find they now use UPS. This means I’ll have to travel up to Anacrime to get to the UPS hub.

Posts: 767 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Last time I sent a gun out, I used shipmygun.com. I think that ended up going through UPS, but was way cheaper to use theirs than my own account with UPS.
This is who I used the last several times. Good prices and takes a lot of hassle out of shipping a firearm.

In fact, the rare times I sell a gun in classifieds it’s one of my conditions for the buyer to use a FFL in their network.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23348 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
It doesn’t specify so I’m wondering if a C&R license counts?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8145 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

For say a warranty repair where it is going to the manufacturer still remains the same. Contact them, generate a repair order, they email you a shipping label, print it and drop it off at Fed Ex / UPS.

Going to Robert Burke or Gray Guns, same, generate an order with them, they email you the shipping label, print it, send the box.

The change here now is that a private sale will have to go to an FFL who is a business customer of FED EX, who you will have to contact, have them generate the shipping invoice, and then send you the shipping label. It is an extra step, but still doable as long as the FFL is willing.

Then there is shipmygun.com

What is the biggest change is sending the item to yourself, say in preparation for a hunting trip from your home to another state. With FED EX, now it seems to involve an FFL.

Did I miss anything?

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Posts: 210 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks DC3S. I think you've explained the situation very well.

Thanks for clearing things up.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
For say a warranty repair where it is going to the manufacturer still remains the same. Contact them, generate a repair order, they email you a shipping label, print it and drop it off at Fed Ex / UPS.

That's because the shipper is the manufacturer of the firearm and thus can ship from anywhere under their account.

Sucks that FedEx is doing this, wonder if it's wokeism or something else that created this rule, since they still ship Manufacturer or FFL firearm shipments.

Perhaps they feel they have better control with FFL only shipments.

Posts: 23609 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:

I'm another www.shipmygun.com user and have been very happy with the service. After the initial getting past the initial clunkiness of their website, I have learned to like their service and as Rick said, they are way cheaper than trying to ship yourself.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
I always used UPS (much better than FedEx in our area, though I've seen the converse in other areas) and never had a problem. I guess we're stuck going to an FFL if UPS changes their policy.

The problem with UPS is that you can only ship a firearm from one of their customer service centers, which in my case was about 40 miles away. FedEx came to the house to pick up a firearm I was sending in for repair. Other than the fact that they lost my package for over 24 hours, everything went well. Roll Eyes

Posts: 6637 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I always use UPS. We've had multiple Fed Ex packages take much longer than promised, so I only use UPS of late.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post