SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Case for new iPhone
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case for new iPhone Login/Join 
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
I have a Pelican case on my phone, takes a hell of a beating.

Posts: 2777 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Nomad and Spigen are my go to’s.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 636 | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the Spigen Liquid Air on mine.

https://www.spigen.com/collect...iant=39953420091439#

I was using the same on my iPhone 12 Pro Max. Actually got the new case about 5 days ago, so had it ready as soon as the phone arrived yesterday. Fits the 13, so it’s not just a reboxed 12 case. I wanted a lightweight, thin case and preferred a flexible TPU material over a rigid hard shell.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
The Apple leather and silicone cases are quite nice and feel good in the hand. Quite minimal too.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:

If you lay the phone down on a smooth surface, is this case slippery, or is it non-skid?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30677 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I purchased this case not long ago and it's perfect for my phone. Not at all bulky and I liked the raised edges that when the phone is laid flat on either side the raised edges protect the screen or the camera lenses on the back. It's relatively thin and can be used with wireless chargers, good price, and mostly, has good drop protection from 3' as I've already had a few small spills off the dresser . I was a bit concerned with the drop protection as the newer generation iPhone 12 pro is marginally heavier than my last iPhone X. I liked the newer blue color of the 12 so it was fitting that the case is clear.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
No case, however bulky or bombproof can guarantee preventing screen or camera cover damage if they hit at the right angle. That said, I would consider the Lifeproof Fre. Pricey, but offers the best all around protection. In addition to giving superior moisture and dust protection, it remains fairly slim, on par with most slip on designs. It is slick enough to slide in and out of pockets, and the somewhat fragile glass camera cover plate (these are a surprisingly hard and expensive fix) is protected fairly well. Because there is another piece of glass over the camera lens (coated but still there) picture quality can sometimes suffer, especially when dirty.

If you opt for any kind of slip on case that has no screen protection, make sure it has a well made shock absorbing design, especially on the corners. Be certain to install a tempered glass screen protector to prevent scratches and add a second layer of impact protection. My work 11pro sporting a UAG slip on wore glass that took a short fall onto the screen and it cracked but likely saved me from an expensive repair.

Whatever strikes your fancy, look up reviews before jumping. All similar design cases are not created equal.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been buying the Nomad leather case for the past few years. Backing is leather, sides are rubberized and raised to protect the screen. Camera lenses are protected too. I've been very happy with them and they look beautiful.

Posts: 2190 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
I use the Apple leather cases. Just the ones that cover the back and sides. Slim, grippy enough not to slip, and the sides come forward enough so that they are overflush with the screen in case of a face down impact. And no screen protectors, the screens are pretty tough now.

I also use the Apple cases which now for the iPhone 13 are MagSafe. About $50 for the Silicone version and $60 for the leather. Don't have an iPhone 13 but if I decide to go that way I'll go with the Apple case, probably the leather since I've had one on my iPhone 11 and really like it.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
I can tell you from my own experience, an Otterbox can take a Hell of a beating! I was getting out of my truck at work a few years ago and didn't notice the parking lot was glazed over. As soon as I stepped down from the truck my feet went out from under me, my phone in my right hand and I threw it full force into the ground in an attempt to catch my 260 lbs. It was a futile effort and my phone bounced a few times and slid 75 yards across the parking lot. The initial impact was directly on one of the top corners and the plastic on that edge of the case had split, but the phone was OK due to the thick rubber armor surrounding the plastic shell. Not a scratch on the phone and it still works today, iPhone 6. I have dropped the phone several times before that and after that without any issue. However, that one time was like taking the phone and throwing it directly into the asphalt like you would with a superball.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3629 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:

If you lay the phone down on a smooth surface, is this case slippery, or is it non-skid?

I don’t consider it slippery. It’s got a little bit of grip.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
And to go along with your new case, try a stick on credit card holder.

If you fly a lot like I do, it's a great place to keep your ID while passing through TSA security checkpoints.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
Speck Presidio Grip

https://www.speckproducts.com/...2-GRIP.html#start=11

+1. I have tried lots of cases and this has been my go to for several years. Amazon has them cheap as well.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out ROKFORM cases. They have one with a built in magnet that is surprisingly useful. The case is slim, yet ruggedly built.

Posts: 189 | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they have what you want I am a lifeproof fan. Just today actually had to go swimming again with my phone and all was fine. Have done that numerous times in the past as well. never an issue.
And had no issues on land as well despite some pretty significant abuse.
That said the part of the case that covers the screen scratches eventually and you need to replace the whole case when its no longer usable. usually 1/year for me. but a good tradeoff IMO.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I swear by the Nomad leather cases. Once you have one, you’ll understand. Better than every case IMO, and I’ve tried almost all of them. Even Magpul.

Typing this from a 13Pro waiting for my Nomad case to ship/arrive.

https://nomadgoods.com/product...-brown-iphone-13-pro

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That Nomad looks really classy. For a phone case.

Posts: 520 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of coltchris
posted Hide Post
I've been using Lifeproof Fre cases for years, but in recent years the front cover edges have not held up. Lucky to get a full year out of them anymore; too expensive for that kind of life. Will be switching to something else.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
no Otterbox or similar so save your and my time recommending those.

Ok then. But you do realize there are thinner Otterbox cases which are very nice and rugged.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post