SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who here has purchased gold Krugerrand’s?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who here has purchased gold Krugerrand’s? Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by harvey976g:

Its not,look at the larger dealers right now and some are right at 50% over spot. Some dealers are right around 20% on 1/10oz.

Most 1oz rounds Eagles,Maple Rands are about 4-5% over but fractionals are up there.

What price do you get when you sell a fractional coin? If you get somewhere close to spot, then buying fractional coins for 50% over spot is stupid.

Posts: 10976 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about Krug's but I purchased 10K of 1 oz Gold Eagles in 1999 and I believe they were right at $270.00 each at the time...picked up a bunch of new Silver Eagles too and they were around $7.50 each.

I keep all the coins in our bank safety deposit box but drop in every so often just to look at and hold them...very satisfying feeling.

My financial "wizard" told me it was not a good decision to purchase gold and silver as an investment and instead tried to get me to invest more with him....got rid of this guy a long time ago

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by harvey976g:

Its not,look at the larger dealers right now and some are right at 50% over spot. Some dealers are right around 20% on 1/10oz.

Most 1oz rounds Eagles,Maple Rands are about 4-5% over but fractionals are up there.

What price do you get when you sell a fractional coin? If you get somewhere close to spot, then buying fractional coins for 50% over spot is stupid.

As of this morning I checked buy sheet from dealer and buy was $15 over spot but understand thats dealer selling. Most dealers will pay spot on fractionals of course the smaller 1/10 oz and 1 grams have the highest premium.

Posts: 2121 | Location: Central TX | Registered: February 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
The reasoning behind buying fractionals that I usually read/hear is that they will be handier for common purchases after skynet or whatever. You know, blow jobs and such. Sure wouldn't want to only have 1oz. or more units of gold when you get shore leave.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Huh. I bought my first 1 oz gold coins at about $280/oz and my last ones (more than 10 years ago) at about $320/oz. And for a couple of years I was buying $100/month of silver Eagles, so I have quite a few of those. At today's values I guess I've got at least a year's worth of money in my safe, maybe 2.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
When buying of selling look for purity and if there is a monetary value ie: has a face value from a Government. US Eagles, Canadian Maple Leafs, Chinese Pandas, Australian Koalas, etc., you get spot +. A dealer who says $10 or $15 over spot is full or it. I was a Commodities Broker in the 80’s.

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5302 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGGUY (THE 1ST):
When buying of selling look for purity and if there is a monetary value ie: has a face value from a Government. US Eagles, Canadian Maple Leafs, Chinese Pandas, Australian Koalas, etc., you get spot +. A dealer who says $10 or $15 over spot is full or it. I was a Commodities Broker in the 80’s.

Dillon Gage this afternoon was paying 9% over spot for common date 1/10oz eagles.

Posts: 2121 | Location: Central TX | Registered: February 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also to note, the KR comes in both a bullion and a 'proof' version. The latter is intended as a collectable and is priced at a significant premium. The bullion coin is valued purely for the gold content with only a small premium attached.
Rand Refinery and the SA Mint are the manufacturers.

http://www.randrefinery.com

https://sabullion.co.za/wp-con...rrand-Coin-Guide.pdf

Posts: 101 | Location: Jhb, South Africa | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post