SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Hampshire teen forced to cover up Trump shirt, remove MAGA hat on school’s ‘patriotic day’
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Hampshire teen forced to cover up Trump shirt, remove MAGA hat on school’s ‘patriotic day’ Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Administration retains the ultimate responsibility to determine whether clothing is in keeping with the dress code philosophy should an issue arise.
I suspect they are "interpreting" the second item in the list: "Also prohibited are offensive symbols or language, including those that suggest intolerance or lack of respect to others on the basis of gender, race, religion or ethnic, social, or economic background." Apparently many people (generally non-White) consider "MAGA" as intolerant language. I believe they are wrong, of course, but obviously the school Administration does believe it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
Here’s the school dress code. Unless there’s a double secret dress code, the school has a problem

“Student Dress Code
As a community we take pride in our personal appearance. We expect that all dress reflects the quality of our school and shows respect for yourself and others. Dress should not interfere with nor disrupt the educational process of our school.
● Clothing that displays or promotes illegal substances, alcohol, or a tobacco products is prohibited.
● Also prohibited are offensive symbols or language, including those that suggest intolerance or lack of respect to others on the basis of gender, race, religion or ethnic, social, or economic background.
● Undergarments must never be visible. Clothing must completely cover the undergarments. This includes bra straps and the top of underwear.
● Tops must touch the top of the clothing article that covers the lower half of the body. Midriff/belly areas must not be exposed.
● The top of the clothing covering the lower half of the body must meet the bottom of the shirt. Pants, skirts, and shorts must completely cover undergarments.
● Hats, hoods worn over the head, and sunglasses are not to be worn inside the school building.
● Footwear must be worn at all times. Footwear must be safe and appropriate. ​Flip Flops and
slippers are not permitted.
● Appropriate footwear is required in the gymnasium (non-marking sneakers only).
● Dress code expectations apply during Halloween and Spirit Week dress up days as well.
Full-face makeup and masks, mock weapons, and potentially unsafe costumes and items are not permitted.
The Administration retains the ultimate responsibility to determine whether clothing is in keeping with the dress code philosophy should an issue arise. If clothing is deemed inappropriate, the student will be asked to change. Changing one’s clothes is always the first and best choice. Failure to comply with this simple request will result in disciplinary action, including but not limited to detention or suspension. Repeated violations of the dress code will result in elevated consequences.”
https://campussuite-storage.s3...arent%20Handbook,%20'18%20-%20'19.pdf
You're assuming the school's administration cares what is or isn't in their dress code. The school administrators I dealt with when my son was in high school made it very clear their rules meant whatever they said they did.

The parents need to keep as much media attention as possible on this issue to try and force administrators at the school to back pedal. But even if they do, I doubt it will change anything for the future.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lived here basically all my life. Any town that is within commute distance to Boston has been ruined by liberal trash moving up from Mass to escape taxes and shitty government only to vote in people who are doing that to this state. I'm hoping to buy a house in the next year or two and it'll be toward the north. I'll take a 50 mile one-way commute to live in an untainted community.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
Here’s the school dress code. Unless there’s a double secret dress code, the school has a problem

● Also prohibited are offensive symbols or language, including those that suggest intolerance or lack of respect to others on the basis of gender, race, religion or ethnic, social, or economic background.

This is the catch, right here. Nearly ALL dress codes have a catch all statement that can cover nearly anything. This is it. The school admins can interpret this however they like.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post