SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help. Best defense against dogs while walking?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help. Best defense against dogs while walking? Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Cattle prod.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12639 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
Here's a site for some lovely sticks. Smile

https://oldeshillelagh.com/

I've purchased from this site a few times, they're excellent.
I've got a heavy lead-loaded Shillelagh walking stick that I carry when walking, specifically for dogs and the occasional sketchy dude. Haven't had to use it yet, but it's comforting to carry.

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shrugged:
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
This may not be the best option, but it is a good option, a Livestock Whip. Longer than a baseball bat, and can deliver a very strong sting of pain. It will break the sound barrier and make that loud noise.

Live Stock Whip LINK
Brother, I cannot, for the life of me, think of a weapon that I'd feel less confident deploying next to my kids than a bull whip, lol. Surely a good option for a man more skilled than me!

I'm not referring to a bull whip, which is a very long leather piece maybe 15 feet long or so, give or take, with a foot long or so handle. That's like an Indiana Jones whip. This sort of thing is very dangerous, very dangerous.

I am talking about a livestock whip, which is a firm and slightly flexible handle about 4 or 5 feet long, with maybe a 2 foot leather flexible piece on the end. This sort of thing is not really dangerous, it's too short for that, but it will convince livestock to do what you want them to do and will not hurt them, but they sure will pay attention. Sometimes it's called an Attention Getter.

Big difference.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I’d also look up the leash laws and understand those as well. In places I’m familiar with, a dog does not have to be on a leash in it’s own yard.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
Around here, loose dogs are a big problem. There have been several attacks on people walking and several attacks on other pets. Animal control will do what they can but you never go more than a day or two without seeing more loose dogs running around. I don't really know the answer for best defense, but I do a lot of walking and carry pepper spray and a fixed blade knife. I also keep an eye out and change routes if I see any loose doges up ahead.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry pepper spray, an expandable baton and my CCW on my walks.
I've been charged a couple of times by aggressive dogs this summer. So far an aggressive yell at them has worked. We then modify our route in order to avoid future incidents.
Why people can't control their dogs is beyond me. We like and have had dogs. But people who have dogs that behave aggressively get zero slack from me. Control your freaking dog or I will.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I suggested the dog specific pepper spray, Protector, by Sabre in this thread. The discussion caused me to take a close look at our can of spray and I discovered that it was expired. I ordered a new canister and took the expired one outside to test it. I asked my wife to photograph me spraying it so I could post the picture here, giving you an idea of what to expect if you had to deploy it. Unfortunately, the stream of spray did not show up, it’s pale yellow in color. Perhaps I can still pass on some useful information though. Protector sprays in a stream, rather than a fog (unlike bear spray). It sprays out to a distance of almost exactly 20’. Maybe this is helpful.

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Silent:
It’s doubtful that your family has been the only ones attacked by this dog.
You need to be far more careful with your choice of words. There was no "attack' here, just a big ill mannered dog excited to see someone new. Totally inappropriate, and the owners should have better control of the dog, but I don't think anyone was in danger of serious injury here. This is a nuisance issue.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Shrugged, I know what you're feeling. Like I noted earlier, I've been there with my son. But you need to consider one more aspect of this that I'll highlight with an example. Recently (about a week ago), I had my 27 pound (soaking wet) Beagle outside going potty. This little guy is very well trained and mannered, but he's also friendly to a fault. He saw a new person walking by he hadn't met yet, so he strolled over to say hello tail a waggin', and the young punk kid freaked out, kicked at him twice, then yelled obscenities at me. Had it not been for a good friend of mine being there at the time, I would have sent the punk kid to the ER and dealt with the police blowback afterward. I was beyond livid. I doubt from reading you comments here you would relish finding yourself in a similar confrontation with the owner(s) of this dog in front of your kids. I'm probably the easiest going person in my neighborhood, but I treat my dogs as family, and attempting to strike out at one of them will always be viewed as the exact same thing as someone striking out at me personally.

Again, some of the suggestions here are a 0 to 100 kneejerk over a dog that essentially needs some training. If the problem continues, involve Animal Control or your local PD and let them deal with it. I guarantee you, if the owners find themselves dealing with one of these two groups over their dog, there's a high probability they'll fix the issue. I wish you and your kiddos all the best, and I hope this situation gets resolved for everyone involved.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big deal:
Again, some of the suggestions here are a 0 to 100 kneejerk over a dog that essentially needs some training. If the problem continues, involve Animal Control or your local PD and let them deal with it. I guarantee you, if the owners find themselves dealing with one of these two groups over their dog, there's a high probability they'll fix the issue. I wish you and your kiddos all the best, and I hope this situation gets resolved for everyone involved.

Clearly this particular dog was not a big problem and didn’t justify a violent response (other than perhaps slapping some sense into the owners?).

Reading over the OP, it is clear he wants advice on how to better handle future events, but it isn’t clear whether it is only future events with overly friendly dogs like this one or also aggressive, dangerous dogs that he is looking for advice on.

I’d think the best approach is a range of options, starting with what’s appropriate for an overly friendly goof and progressing to what’s appropriate for a dog you justifiably fear will cause death or great bodily injury. You hope for the former, but don’t to be left without a plan for the latter.

Another suggestion comes to mind for the overly friendly (as if you have extra hands and want more crud to carry). We have guardian dogs that keep the mountain lions and coyotes away from the goats. They do not wear collars as we don’t want them getting hung up on brush. The leashes we use for them have a small steel ring on one end and a handle loop on the other. You feed the leash near the ring end through the ring, making a noose. Picking a dog up off the ground with this type of leash could choke them, so one wants to be cautious, but it is a relatively quick way to “get a handle” on a friendly dog without a collar - slip the noose over his or her head and pull it snug.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I would carry full strength pepper spray made for humans. the proctector seems week and short range.

I want an areosol not a stream. If I was really concerned it would be a mk9 dog the bounty hunter size. Multiple dogs and their owners if need be!!!

Posts: 7800 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Did farm service work for 10 years. Always had a big ball peen hammer or 2’ pipe wrench in my hand, farm dogs seemed to respect that. Not sure about the legalities involving bear spray in town, but would likely be my first choice.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post