SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daughter graduated tonight from high school
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daughter graduated tonight from high school Login/Join 
Picture of FlyingScot
posted
They grow up too damn quick. She is 17, and is a senior in college (Dual enrolled). She graduated summa cum laude...but the next best thing was the class and ceremony. These were 140 kids who are the best of us. 90% were 3.8 or better, they all were getting neuroscience, engineering, biology degrees.

They started with a color guard, sang the national anthem, and then surprise - an auditorium of voices saying the pledge of allegiance. They honored our military and veterans.

I am so proud of my daughter and there is hope for the next generation. We see and hear so much negative, but tonight showed the America I knew is still there. Honoring ideals of liberty but also hard work, skill, and independence.

These are some of the best kids - and they think for themselves.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats to your daughter and to you too. One of the hardest tasks in my life was getting my kid through HS with his head on straight.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16113 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That’s excellent. Good job, Dad.

Posts: 26935 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
Outstanding work from everyone involved! Congratulations!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2039 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Its a joyful and sad experience at the same time. My oldest daughter graduated from college last week. My youngest daughter will be a sophomore in HS next year. You're right, it goes by fast!

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is some great news, amidst all the negative. Congrats to you and your daughter.

Posts: 3598 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Congrats to you and your daughter.
What are her plans for the fall?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24164 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I don't know how someone is able graduate college and HS by age 17..Seems impossible. But congarats to her. I suppose she is going to graduate school? next fall?

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Congrats to all!

Posts: 3735 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
Congrats to you, your daughter, and the school. Great job all around.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1695 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to you and her! Having a daughter in college and another a junior in high school, I can relate! As long as us parents do our duty, stay involved with our children, encourage them to do their best, and are there to guide them in the ways of patriotism, common sense, dealing with adversity in a constructive / positive way, and the pros and cons of political and social views, the future is indeed bright for our children. The greatest gift we can offer our kids is our love and support so they can develop their God given talents, and find their way in the world, while being good, productive, thoughtful citizens, that will experience success and enjoyment in many ways throughout life, including a spiritual relationship with God.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your daughter and family.

Best regards,

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
The program is FAU Dual Enrollment- the high school kids stay on the school campus in 9th grade and the professors come to teach them. Like freshman weedout classes. Then 10-12th grade they register each semester just like any other college kid and go to classes. Pick majors, and walk / ride around classes. So you have 15 year olds next to 18-25 year olds taking classes.

5 kids graduated high school AND received their bachelors. 2 are accepted into FAUs medical school. My daughter changed from Biology to mechanical engineering with intent to pursue a Masters to PHD program in aerospace engineering. The shift put her a bit behind but was a good call. She is a kid and it will/should change again.

She is taking a couple of summer classes and will graduate with BS in engineering Spring 2020. She has gotten quite a few research grants and full scholastic ride and wants to go to UF for grad school. She is in Women in Engineering, an Engineering sorority and is starting to engage with local companies like P&W.

Still a kid, still our daughter but she has the drive to succeed and learn. So do her classmates. A great program for kids like her. Also a great life lesson working inside a university bureaucracy, seeing grown adults throw away an educational opportunity, and the craziness that various political groups bring to campus. These kids come from everywhere - but none were “given a break” or unequal leg up/down. Level playing field, no participation trophies and only hard work and success rewarded.

It was cool because they could invite their favorite teacher / professor. Turned out it was their 9th grade history teacher who was notoriously tough and gave each group a memorable speech on “you Will fail! Then get up and succeed...”

Thanks all. Her parents and brother are definitely proud!

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post