SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ham buying advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ham buying advice Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
Apparently nobody wants Turkey for Thanksgiving.
It has been decided that a Ham will be substituted this year.

My Son wants to smoke the Ham on his pellet grill then bring it over.

What is an advised brand and type of Ham?

My Son has smoked pre-cooked hams in the past and they turned out very good.I would like to raise the bar on the Ham quality.

Posts: 4627 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with Costco boneless butts. I rinse them thoroughly, then lay them out to shake the rub all over. After that I roll them back up and lace them like a rib roast to keep them together. After smoking I let them rest a bit, then cut slices just like a rib roast and removing the strings as I get to them.

My MIL was an outstanding cook and tried a country ham many years ago. Even though she followed all the directions for preparations, it was very salty and simply didn't taste as good as a butt. It was unfortunately a lot of effort with disappointing results. That said, it did make for some tasty fried breakfast ham with eggs.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Benton’s Country Hams online, should still arrive on time. Not cheap, but yummy!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cheshire pork has a sale on spiral cut ham, $99.
I haven’t tried it.
Look up dakin farms in VT. Huge rep. Pricy!ham, bacon, maple syrup!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1128 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like smoking spiral cut shank hams. Usually smoke 6-8 during the holidays to give to family members. Use a mix of cherry and apple wood.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
We have never liked turkey. This year I picked up a Spanish Jamon Iberico. It’s basically a prosciutto ham, that comes from a special breed of pig that has only eaten acorns all its life.
It’s supposed to be really tasty. I’ll let you know in a couple weeks.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Why overthink it... or work when you don't have to?

There are half a dozen Honeybaked Ham stores in Chicago. Call now and get your order in.

Bet you could probably smoke it, too, if that's really the way you want to go.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
My wife buys the Costo/Kirkland spiral sliced hams and they are great.
Like this one.
https://www.costcuisine.com/po...al-sliced-ham-review

Posts: 9514 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
My experience from smoking hams and I have done plenty is I buy the cheap brand bone in. Sugarland is the cheap brand around here. I get these because they absorb the rub and smoke you put on. If you buy an expensive previously smoked ham it will not benefit much from any smoke from your smoker. May as well use the oven. Spiral hams are not allowed in our house. To much of a tendency to dry out.

Bone in is a must because anytime you cook a ham ham and bean soup is a requirement no more than a few days later. This also requires you to buy a ham at least two pounds larger than what you need as ham and bean soup needs lots of ham.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Not a ham expert, but to my palate the dry "country-style" hams sold in cloth bags are usually far superior to the wet/gelatin packed ones sold in cans, or in the style of Honeybaked's products. Whether or not they would benefit from additional cooking/smoking, I can't say.

Posts: 6474 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
gROWING UP, WE HAD HAM FOR DAMN NEAR EVERY HOLIDAY BECAUSE WE WERE POOR WHITE FOLKS. i GREW TO DISLIKE HAM A GREAT DEAL FOLLOWING THOSE FORMATIVE YEARS.

hOWEVER (damn caps lock!) having discovered Costco Kirkland apple wood smoked ham, my tune has changed completely. The only time we go and come home without one is when we still have some left in the freezer, Excellent. I will never fool with baking/smoking/whatever a ham again.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
My wife buys the Costo/Kirkland spiral sliced hams and they are great.
Like this one.
https://www.costcuisine.com/po...al-sliced-ham-review

We've bought these a few times and they are worth every penny. If you like ham sandwich's you'll love this ham.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Sadly no Costco available in these parts to try the Kirkland offering.

Never have bought any of the fancy schmancy mail order hams. Some of the heritage hams do look inviting though. I do recall being served a country ham decades ago and was appalled at how salty it was. Seems the old standby of a supermarket city ham (Hormel Cure 81 spiral cut bone in) works well enough for us here. And yes, leftovers for Navy ham and bean soup is a tradition. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Honeybaked and never look back!

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Wal-mart has a nice full or half bone in ham, smokes up nicely on the Traeger, I've done spiral hams as well from Costco.

With Spiral I put it open face down in a pan, keep
it moist with apple cider spray now and then.

Both turn out good, you can also cover the spiral ham with foil to keep it moist in a pan on a smoker if you just want a little smoke and to use it more like a convection oven to free up space in the wifes oven for pie...

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Sadly no Costco available in these parts to try the Kirkland offering.

Never have bought any of the fancy schmancy mail order hams. Some of the heritage hams do look inviting though. I do recall being served a country ham decades ago and was appalled at how salty it was. Seems the old standby of a supermarket city ham (Hormel Cure 81 spiral cut bone in) works well enough for us here. And yes, leftovers for Navy ham and bean soup is a tradition. Big Grin

I have to chuckle a bit when I read your comment about the salty taste.
Many years ago I worked for a guy that was looking for a Thanksgiving special present for a few of his clients that worked for large ad agency's in Chicago.

We went to a downtown Treasure Island grocery store that had the bagged in cloth hams. They were expensive so they must be GREAT, right?
He bought three. I was with him when he drove home. When he entered the house his Wife,a country girl( before She moved to Chicago and became a Playboy Bunny), spotted the 3 hams.
Her first and only comment to her husband was,"their Wife's are going to HATE YOU"!
"do you have any idea how much work is involved in preparing those hams so they are not too salty?

He gave the Hams out but I never heard of any comments from anybody he gave them to about the quality or taste.

Posts: 4627 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebo
posted Hide Post
I usually order one from Snake River Farms for holiday get togethers Snakeriverfarms

We used their Orange and Bourbon Glaze recipe last year and it was great.

Posts: 51 | Location: Lake Havasu, AZ | Registered: April 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I’m sure that the suggestions above are fine BUT…
The best ham I’ve ever had were from Robertson’s in Oklahoma. My son’s boss gave them out to key employees for several years and they were beyond excellent…

https://www.robertsons-hams.com/

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6317 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
bagged in cloth hams

Her first and only comment to her husband was,"their Wife's are going to HATE YOU"!
"do you have any idea how much work is involved in preparing those hams so they are not too salty?
Salt cured country hams, I used to buy the Smithfields all the time. The trick is to soak them in water for about 36 hours, and change the water out completely, at least twice. The process also re-hydrates the ham. I does depend on the water volume of what you soak them in, personally, I used my bath tub. Wink
If you use a sink to soak them, Smithfield recommends changing the water out every 2 or 3 hours...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Who was the large Ham producer that was bought by the Chinese?
I think I will remove that brand or others, from my list.
I thought it was Smithfield.