SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ham buying advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ham buying advice Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Smithfield Foods was acquired in 2013 by Hong Kong-based WH Group, Shuanghui International, for $4.7 billion.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I caution everyone about Benton’s Country Hams online. Based off the recommendations here, I purchased some of their country bacon and it was inedible. It is the most salty food I've ever eaten. I purchased 8 pounds of it and had to throw it all out as it was so salty my family couldn't choke it down. If you read reviews, there are complaints from others about it being too salty and not edible. Make sure you're aware that country bacon or ham is cured in salt and is very salty. I wish someone would have told me this prior to purchasing.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
We have never liked turkey. This year I picked up a Spanish Jamon Iberico. It’s basically a prosciutto ham, that comes from a special breed of pig that has only eaten acorns all its life.
It’s supposed to be really tasty. I’ll let you know in a couple weeks.

It is very tasty. I've eaten a few of them. BUT, it's very rich and a bit salty. Think of eating proscuitto versus ham. I would think it would be too much to eat as a meal.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I'm leaning towards the Snake River farms ham but having a problem justifying the $200 price for the whole ham. The Robertson's Farms Ham is my next choice at $90.
Has anybody actually eaten a ham from either place?
Is the $200 ham worth the extra $100 cost?

I will probably place an order by Wed.

Posts: 4628 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I too don't like turkey. Well I like it well enough, I just don't like the prep and clean up. The effort for me does not justify the results. Yeah, some will spout up this technique or the other, but a nice ham is good, neat and offers good clean leftovers.

So the best ham. There are so many options. Just don't go cheap. you get what you pay for and you're gonna pay for a good one. I like the spiral hams from Harry & David. About $100.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
When I do hams, I always buy the spiral sliced already smoked hams and double smoke it in my smoker, I believe Chris Lily has the recipe I've used. You can look it up online, super easy. Basically you are just heating it back up on the smoker. Just make sure you place it on the smoker like you would sit a Hershey Kiss down on a table, flat side down or it will dry out like shoe leather.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Hormel cure 81 is a great ham and heats up well on the smoker or in the oven. I also agree that a bone in cooks ham turns out great on a smoker.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
Who was the large Ham producer that was bought by the Chinese?
I think I will remove that brand or others, from my list.
I thought it was Smithfield.

Winner, winner!

WH Group still owns Smithfield Foods. Smithfield itself operates under the leadership of CEO and President Shane Smith, who took on those roles this year.

Smithfield Foods is adamant about not being an importer of products from China to the U.S. It notes that all of its U.S. food products are produced in the U.S., under the regulation of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the FDA, and other authorities. On the other hand, Smithfield says it does export products to China. Add Nathans Hot dogs to that list as well.

https://marketrealist.com/p/wh...field-sell-to-china/

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8357 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebo
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm leaning towards the Snake River farms ham but having a problem justifying the $200 price for the whole ham.

That works out to about $10 per serving which doesn’t seem bad to me. I have one arriving for Thanksgiving again this year and it’s well worth it in my opinion. Pick one of the glaze recipes off their site and you’ll be set.

Posts: 51 | Location: Lake Havasu, AZ | Registered: April 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
I caution everyone about Benton’s Country Hams online. Based off the recommendations here, I purchased some of their country bacon and it was inedible. It is the most salty food I've ever eaten. I purchased 8 pounds of it and had to throw it all out as it was so salty my family couldn't choke it down. If you read reviews, there are complaints from others about it being too salty and not edible. Make sure you're aware that country bacon or ham is cured in salt and is very salty. I wish someone would have told me this prior to purchasing.

It’s not really bacon for eating multiple strips of with toast and eggs IMO and I wish they’d communicate this better.

I received a few pounds is a Christmas gift some years ago and found it DELICIOUS…but when used more like a condiment or an enhancement to other foods. Made deviled eggs and incorporated a little of the solidified grease into the yolks with the mayo and seasonings then sprinkled chopped Benton’s bacon on top and they were amazing. I too found it too smoky and salty as just breakfast meat bacon.

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I went with the Snake River whole ham.
I look forward to eating it.

Posts: 4628 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
Benton’s Country Hams online, should still arrive on time. Not cheap, but yummy!

Plus 1 on Benton’s. It’s half way between me and the new S&W plant and I can attest to all there meats being top notch.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
We have never liked turkey. This year I picked up a Spanish Jamon Iberico. It’s basically a prosciutto ham, that comes from a special breed of pig that has only eaten acorns all its life.
It’s supposed to be really tasty. I’ll let you know in a couple weeks.

It is very tasty. I've eaten a few of them. BUT, it's very rich and a bit salty. Think of eating proscuitto versus ham. I would think it would be too much to eat as a meal.

It’s not like I’m planning on slabs of ham.
Paper thin slices served tapas style with pickled morels, olives, pasta with the ham incorporated into it, and some morel risotto. Some fresh baked focaccia. Creme Brûlée for dessert.

That’s the plan amigo.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who was the large Ham producer that was bought by the Chinese?
I think I will remove that brand or others, from my list.
I thought it was Smithfield.

Okay, I agree with not supporting the Chi-Coms, but…
We have sold out so much to foreign nations.
Smithfield has to conform to USDA Standards.

Pigs are raised in the US, and conform to our regulations.

Buy it, eat it and accept it.

It’s food. While I have my political beliefs, I have to eat. And I like affordable pork.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If I have a choice I will always pick a product that has no Chinese involvement.

posted Hide Post
Costco spiral cut bone in ham wit optional honey glaze.

Prep tip:
Take the ham out of the refrigerator 5 1/2;hours prior to baking it in an oven bag.

This insures that all of the ham will be hot.
( Not chilly in the middle)

And
You may as well get a pumpkin pie while you are there

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post