SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seeking advice for American flag purchase
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking advice for American flag purchase Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I am going to buy an American flag and mount it on the front porch column of my house. So I have a few questions, any advice from the great Sigforum brain trust is greatly appreciated.

1. What size of flag ? It will hang in the classic 45 degree angle position off a column on my front porch. The house is a normal size two story. The front porch brick columns go from the ground to the beginning of the second story.

2. Must be wholly manufactured in the USA no exceptions. Not China, not Mexico, not Taiwan, or anywhere the hell else. If the factory is owned and run American Veterans or Pro 2A Southern Rednecks with a parking lot full of pickup trucks, that's even better.

3. Must be decent quality, whatever that means for an American flag. Must fly true with grace. I'm guessing a better quality flag will do a better job in that department, but I don't really know.

4. Where is a good website to read a brief synopsis of American Flag rules and traditions ? Most of what I know is from the Boy Scouts, and I don't want to make obvious mistakes.

5. Whatever else I should have asked but don't know.

Thank You.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8917 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
1. Up to you. Most fly 3 × 5 or 4 x 6. Some get hung up on government spec, but forget that all are flags per code.

2. Some U.S. makers here.

3. Polyester will last longer than nylon. Nylon will fly (flap) more than polyester as it is a lighter weight. Cotton is top end, but not weather proof.

4. Flag Code

5. Half staff info.

Posts: 3580 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
I have this one. My second one. The first lasted just over 3 years of being outside 24/7 before it started to fray. Very nice flag, great quality. It hangs at the 45 degree on front of the house at the beginning of the second story, above the garage door. You wont be disappointed in this flag. Neighbors compliment all the time. Color held up also. I have lights on it so I display it 24/7. I have only needed to take it down one time, the first flag not the current one, due to extreme weather. When the current one needs replacement I will replace it with the same. I have used ones from Wal-Mart and HD in the past and they didn't last a year. I used a HF one, once never again, and it lasted maybe 6 weeks before it started tearing. This one though is top notch. Glad to see someone putting the flag up. Be proud of it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...01_s04?ie=UTF8&psc=1

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1310 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the past you used to be able to get one that had flown over the Capitol from your Senator or Congressman. Do not know if that still holds true.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the link to the House. It also answers the questions for display. Hope this helps.

http://www.house.gov/content/features/story4/

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I've had and been happy with Valley Forge flags before. US made.

http://www.valleyforgeflag.com...de-in-the-u-s-a-.htm

Also US made, no personal experience but appears to be veteran oriented..

https://www.veteransflagdepot.com/about-us/

For displaying as you suggest, I would go with a 3x5. Polyester looks best, as noted is heavier. Nylon will dry out faster in inclement weather.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11220 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
In the past you used to be able to get one that had flown over the Capitol from your Senator or Congressman. Do not know if that still holds true.

Still can, visit here for more info.

Posts: 3580 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
If you get into historical flags, CRW Flags is the best source I have found.

posted Hide Post
United States Flag Store. Great selection

Guns-I have some

Posts: 213 | Location: missouri | Registered: December 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suggest you check with a Legion or VFW if you have them locally. Generally have them available at reasonable prices.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2939 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
I bought two Capitol flown flags last year through our Congresswoman, 5x8 nylon. They include a certificate of the specific date and reason you requested to be flown over the Capitol.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
1.9:1 ratio flags are the official ones.

Most places sell ones that are 1.5:1 instead (3x5, for example).

I prefer the officially sized ones, but most people don't seem to care.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I also only buy the 1.9:1 aspect ratio Flags. I think my last several were from Valley Forge.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Unishot
posted Hide Post
I've been very pleased with all the flags I (and the company I work for) have purchased from Annin Flags. They are the largest and oldest flag maker in the US, been around since 1847, and are one of the largest flag makers in the world. I especially like their "Tough Tex" flags. They really hold up in the wind, and are extremely fade resistant.

Annin.com

Insert your favorite gun-related witticism here!

Posts: 655 | Location: TX | Registered: March 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have lights on it so I display it 24/7

I'm pleased to see a lot of flags up in the area of San Diego where we are living; but driving by at night most are still up and unlighted.
Thank you for following regs. So did my late father-in-law.

Posts: 18351 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
quote:
I have lights on it so I display it 24/7

I'm pleased to see a lot of flags up in the area of San Diego where we are living; but driving by at night most are still up and unlighted.
Thank you for following regs. So did my late father-in-law.

I used to feel this way, but living in Central America 2.0 I'm happy to see an American flag at all. Of the 25-30 homes on my street only three fly the stars and stripes. I need to move very badly.

When I come home and see my flag (karma from a member here) flying it makes me smile and takes a little edge off the day. This is strange any time I see a US Flag it makes me feel just a little better that I did just prior.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
I have this one, flown outside 24/7 with a proper light. Purchased in May 2015 and holding up well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 5025 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Timely- I think I'll break out my American Flag for the 4th of July. I'm feeling extra proud with Donald Trump as our President.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13490 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Timely- I think I'll break out my American Flag for the 4th of July. I'm feeling extra proud with Donald Trump as our President.

You should do it every day.

Fourth of July, Memorial Day, D-Day, Flag day, and Dec. 7 gets my Capitol flown flag that has special meaning to me.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock or Something
Picture of Marc in FL
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend the US made Annin nylon 3x5 American flag. Mine has flown year round in all types of weather. It still looks good after almost a year but I will probably change it on Independance Day. I have it on a special bearing mount that prevents the
flag from binding as it waves. I also have a solar spotlight that keeps it illuminated at night.

Posts: 1133 | Location: Tampa Bay Area | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post