SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    battery jump-starter kits
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

battery jump-starter kits Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I used to ride a Harley, so yeah, I used one. Compact NOCO, fairly inexpensive. Gave it to my daughter when she went to college. She used it twice on her old junker.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I have NOCO GB50s in our vehicles. I've used several of these kinds of things since they came on the market and I'm very happy with the build quality of the NOCO.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I have the Die Hard 4000mah jump starter pack from ACE hardware, I actually bought a second one based on the performance of the first one.

My kid had a habit of leaving her dome light on, and going out to a dead battery. I got tired of moving my car so she could jump hers, I bought the little battery pack for her to use.
Fast forward to winter, and my Pathfinder's battery started losing charge... so I used her booster pack and it worked! Even with a completely dead battery, it had no problems starting the 4.0L V-6 even below freezing. I was impressed, and after fixing my battery, I bought a second booster for the wife and I to use, while the kid keeps hers.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3355 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I would recommend a different approach to the problem.
Make sure the battery is relatively new and terminals, wiring, etc. looks good to minimize the chance of a problem. Then, in case she leaves something on and runs it down or other issue, have a AAA or insurance roadside protection rider.
Otherwise its just another potential problem in itself that she may not be able to deploy for use when needed.

Yes, keep the car/battery in good shape. But the answer is to teach her how to use a portable starter....and jumper cables... and to change a tire. These are basic skills all of us women should know how to do. Damn if I'll be reliant on strangers or waiting along some dark road for a roadside service to rescue me. Don't let her wind up in that situation. After all, she may be stranded in a car that isn't hers and hasn't been maintained.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
I found this review the most helpful ...

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN8A2nIMUWA

... so I'm strongly considering the TOPVISION
Link: https://www.amazon.com/TOPVISI...=8-2#customerReviews

According to his tests, the NOCO is complete crap.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, one can listen to ads and tests, or listen to the folks that have and use them......your choice!!

Posts: 6628 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Consider the user as well. Are they capable of doing it correctly ? Do it backwards and you could fry the vehicles various computer and electronic systems. Like %5000 for a new computer because someone hooked up positive to negative ? No thanks.

Regarding portable units, I'm not familiar with the modern stuff. I have and prefer heavy, old fashioned, wet cell starting units. I have an inexpensive Stanley unit I got at Sams Club that has worked for me. I would have spent more for a better unit but didn't want to spring for it since I keep my vehicles well maintained.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
Consider the user as well. Are they capable of doing it correctly ? Do it backwards and you could fry the vehicles various computer and electronic systems. Like %5000 for a new computer because someone hooked up positive to negative ? No thanks.

Regarding portable units, I'm not familiar with the modern stuff. I have and prefer heavy, old fashioned, wet cell starting units. I have an inexpensive Stanley unit I got at Sams Club that has worked for me. I would have spent more for a better unit but didn't want to spring for it since I keep my vehicles well maintained.

The "modern" stuff will have reverse polarity protection that will prevent you from frying your stuff if hooked backwards.

Posts: 7424 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I have an Anti Gravity XP-1. I've never used it to jump start anything, but it's an excellent mobile power source and it holds a charge. The instructions say you can jump multiple times if the battery is fully charged.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
My NOCO GB40 arrived today.
Made in Malaysia for those wondering.

Posts: 7424 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I bought this one on Friday, arrived Saturday

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I need one at work often, we had one of those rolling ones with a full size battery in it but it was a pain to move around and usually was dead form people not plugging it in. We also have a couple of those bigger packs, they work great but usually can't find one or again, dead from not being plugged in. I decided I wanted my own

I was skeptical of this little thing. I just used it to jump off two completely dead 6.0 V8's with ease, one I had to jump three times because it kept cutting off after the jump, call me impressed. It was like the one recommended in the video, sounded like the starter was doing double time and still showed a full charge after

Posts: 5342 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I've had this one for 2 years and it's been solid. I've used it to jump cars, my lawn mower, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7079 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
I went with the Weego 22. Seemed like the best combo of good reviews and price, with the longest warranty.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't needed one in 9 years, so I my thinking was,
Why bother?

Then yesterday a fella on a semi lonely county road was stranded with his Honda Aspencade ,
He needed
A jump start.

I called his wife to come with jump cables.

She was 40 minutes out .

He just texted ,
( 24 hours later)

Thanked me again for stopping to help.

Would have been nice to just hook him up and send him on his way, though

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54681 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have NOCOs for battery charging and starting.
Happy so far.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post