SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Might Be Time To Replace The Air Conditioner
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Might Be Time To Replace The Air Conditioner Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
For those recommending American Standard, I know of no company in Central Florida that offers that product. Trane is the American Standard offering here.

There are 3 American Standard air conditioner dealers listed for 32801 (Orlando), they all have 4.6 stars or better on google reviews, I just picked a random Orlando zip code. Here's the American Standard dealer locator.

https://www.americanstandardai...ind-your-dealer.html
And all of them will offer Trane equipment, which is the same company. Trane is huge in Central Florida. When I went shopping equipment, I found the American Standard references in company ads, but in every case, they offered me Trane equipment.

There's more profit margin selling a Trane instead of a American Standard, that's why.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
For those recommending American Standard, I know of no company in Central Florida that offers that product. Trane is the American Standard offering here.

There are 3 American Standard air conditioner dealers listed for 32801 (Orlando), they all have 4.6 stars or better on google reviews, I just picked a random Orlando zip code. Here's the American Standard dealer locator.

And all of them will offer Trane equipment, which is the same company. Trane is huge in Central Florida. When I went shopping equipment, I found the American Standard references in company ads, but in every case, they offered me Trane equipment.

There's more profit margin selling a Trane instead of a American Standard, that's why.
Perhaps, but as I noted in my longer post, when you peel the skin off all the brands, what you find is virtually the same components (with the exception of Carrier). Construction and installation quality, coupled with warranty support is more important than brand name in my book, and Trane is more expensive than Goodman while sharing the same warranty and components.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Perhaps, but as I noted in my longer post, when you peel the skin off all the brands, what you find is virtually the same components (with the exception of Carrier). Construction and installation quality, coupled with warranty support is more important than brand name in my book, and Trane is more expensive than Goodman while sharing the same warranty and components.

Yes many of the same brands, they share many of the same components but the construction, materials, and execution is not as good.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Uppster
posted Hide Post
I've been well pleased with my Goodman. Ebay.

God,Guns,Cars,& 1Wife, I would say I have it all.

Posts: 1448 | Location: Independence MO | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
...but the construction, materials, and execution is not as good.
And I'll tell you what I told the salesman from one company who tried to sell me on that concept....If that's the case, why is the warranty on his superior equipment the same as the warranty on the inferior equipment? If its better constructed with better materials, shouldn't it offer a better warranty?

When you do a lot of reading online and accumulate the data, Goodman rates very well overall, and provides excellent value.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been hearing rumblings that the current 410A refigerant will be phased out for yet another refrigerant. This might impact putting a whole lot of money in a new system if this is true.

Posts: 12739 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
...but the construction, materials, and execution is not as good.
And I'll tell you what I told the salesman from one company who tried to sell me on that concept....If that's the case, why is the warranty on his superior equipment the same as the warranty on the inferior equipment? If its better constructed with better materials, shouldn't it offer a better warranty?

When you do a lot of reading online and accumulate the data, Goodman rates very well overall, and provides excellent value.

Amana is made by Goodman but has a lifetime condenser warranty.If the condenser goes out they give you a whole new outside unit.

Posts: 12739 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I looked at bigdeal's post, in detail:
quote:
I bought a Goodman 14.5 SEER single speed system. I purchased that system myself from an internet wholesaler (Budget AC Supply in Davenport, essentially Haines City), and my father picked it up for me on his way back from Tampa (they slid it into his truck with their forklift). Condenser, air handler, 10kw heat strip, UV light (a throw in) ran ~$2500. Then I hired a guy who works for a local AC company to come in on a Saturday to install it for me (ran ~$1500 which included the Ecobee 3 thermostat I added). And yes, he is licensed to do AC work, but ‘no’ I can’t refer him to you as he has asked me not to refer him to others. I only had access to him because he’d done service work for me previously through his full-time job. So I was good to go for ~$3800. I got quotes ranging from $6k to $8k using the same Goodman equipment, and north of $10k for Carrier/Bryant equipment, just to add a bit of perspective.
I found a small (two-man) local company, licensed, etc., that will do the job for me.

Three-ton Goodman heat pump system, 16 SEER model, the whole package including a new programmable thermostat, delivery, installation, etc., for $4,377.00. They had originally quoted the 14.5 SEER unit for $4,200.00, but I figured that $177.00 was a very reasonable upcharge to go to the 16 SEER unit. Based on the ten year warranty, the extra cost is less than $1.50 / month, which should easily be recovered in reduced electric power consumption. Actually, I fully expect more than ten years from this system, so the monthly cost difference for the 16 SEER will be even less than $1.50

Installation is scheduled for Thursday, day after tomorrow.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
I have been hearing rumblings that the current 410A refigerant will be phased out for yet another refrigerant. This might impact putting a whole lot of money in a new system if this is true.

R410a is not being banned, it is being drawn down. It will be available until 2030, but after that I don't know. Right now R32 is being suggested as a drop in replacement for R410a, but with R1234 on the horizon I don't know which way the home cooling industry is going to go.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:

R410a is not being banned, it is being drawn down. It will be available until 2030
I probably won't care much, I'll be 93 if I'm still around.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I looked at bigdeal's post, in detail:
quote:
I bought a Goodman 14.5 SEER single speed system. I purchased that system myself from an internet wholesaler (Budget AC Supply in Davenport, essentially Haines City), and my father picked it up for me on his way back from Tampa (they slid it into his truck with their forklift). Condenser, air handler, 10kw heat strip, UV light (a throw in) ran ~$2500. Then I hired a guy who works for a local AC company to come in on a Saturday to install it for me (ran ~$1500 which included the Ecobee 3 thermostat I added). And yes, he is licensed to do AC work, but ‘no’ I can’t refer him to you as he has asked me not to refer him to others. I only had access to him because he’d done service work for me previously through his full-time job. So I was good to go for ~$3800. I got quotes ranging from $6k to $8k using the same Goodman equipment, and north of $10k for Carrier/Bryant equipment, just to add a bit of perspective.
I found a small (two-man) local company, licensed, etc., that will do the job for me.

Three-ton Goodman heat pump system, 16 SEER model, the whole package including a new programmable thermostat, delivery, installation, etc., for $4,377.00. They had originally quoted the 14.5 SEER unit for $4,200.00, but I figured that $177.00 was a very reasonable upcharge to go to the 16 SEER unit. Based on the ten year warranty, the extra cost is less than $1.50 / month, which should easily be recovered in reduced electric power consumption. Actually, I fully expect more than ten years from this system, so the monthly cost difference for the 16 SEER will be even less than $1.50

Installation is scheduled for Thursday, day after tomorrow.
That's not bad pricing at all for an all inclusive install for what you're getting. You can actually save as much if not more money on energy savings if you make full use of that programmable thermostat. Which stat did you get? Honeywell or something else?

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Glad you found a deal, I was going to suggest checking with Costco, since you shop there, they have a deal with Lennox...

Also with a 1500 sq foot home wonder if those split units would work for you since most folks without kids home use maybe 3 or 4 rooms in the house 90% of the time..

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Glad you found a deal, I was going to suggest checking with Costco, since you shop there, they have a deal with Lennox...

Also with a 1500 sq foot home wonder if those split units would work for you since most folks without kids home use maybe 3 or 4 rooms in the house 90% of the time..
I too am a Costco member and found their program offered little to no advantage over my own price shopping. Additionally, Check out Lennox Evaporator Coil Lawsuit. Apparently Lennox had some issues with their air handler coils they were not forthright in addressing with customers, and as such, suffered a major lawsuit over it.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

with a 1500 sq foot home wonder if those split units would work for you since most folks without kids home use maybe 3 or 4 rooms in the house 90% of the time
It's just my wife and I living there (cat, too). We are at work most days, so the programmable thermostat is set to 85 during the work day, cooling down to something more reasonable when we expect to be home.

When either one of us is home and awake, we are as likely to be in one room as another, there are no unused rooms. Night is a different story, the master bedroom is the only room that needs to be cooled, but I'm guessing that the additional cost for a fancy split unit, and changes to ducts, would not be worth while, especially as the AC does not run that much at night.

I think "Keep It Simple" is the way to go, for our situation.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's not bad pricing at all for an all inclusive install for what you're getting. You can actually save as much if not more money on energy savings if you make full use of that programmable thermostat. Which stat did you get? Honeywell or something else?
A basic Honeywell programmable is included in this package price. I can upgrade to anything I want if I pay the cost difference.

I'm not sure whether it's worth getting something with monitoring / control features when away from home, via an iPhone app. They can supply this, but is it worth the cost? Is a Nest worth while? The AC dude stated that he had seen a lot of problems with early versions of the Nest, so he stopped installing them. No recent experience, though.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים