SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mink attack! Need air rifle advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mink attack! Need air rifle advice Login/Join 
Picture of trickedtrix
posted
This morning the neighbor knocked on the door and said his dog rustled up a mink around the house and he'd put out a trap - wanted me to know about it. While visiting, his dog sniffed the bastard out under our garbage can. He took it out with his pellet gun, but its an ancient break action and it took 4 shots to kill the bugger. I felt bad, wishing it was one and done. We live in a rural part of town but shooting anything .22 and above would certainly garner the wrong type of attention from the neighborhood. So, I'm looking for advice on a quality, accurate pellet gun, preferably semi-auto if one exists that gets the job done. We seem to be infested this year between mink, fox, skunk, and raccoons. The farmers in the area are killing the coyotes at an insane rate so the little critters are going unchecked.

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1237 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
A single shot break barrel will be the most economical. They have rated velocities at about 1,200 FPS. You can pay $100 for a cheap one, $250 for a nicer one.

Gamo and Benjamin make several good air rifles in the $200-300 range that are made for varmint hunting and have advertised velocity of 1,400FPS or more for .177, 1,100FPS for .22. I'd look there. Most come with a suppressor integral to the barrel to help keep noise to a minimum since the projectiles are supersonic.

If your neighbor's rifle wasn't making a decent crack, it's probably not a very powerful rifle.

Whatever option you go for it's still not as good as a .22LR. I've had groundhogs take a hit and run off. I've had a few drop, but shot placement is very critical with a small, light projectile.

Posts: 6033 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck. Once it took me 4 rounds of .22 to dispatch a raccoon. I will say it was a BIG coon, and the final point blank to the head finally sent him on his way.

From this point on I'll always use the biggest thing I can find and stick a can on it.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 974 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gammo, Benjamin, Beeman...
.22 or .177 both have a variety of pellets (pointed, hollow point...)
Im assuming you're not going to be working out to 100 yards or more. Do a little research, FPS matters! I got my Dad a Beeman multi pump years ago for shooting iguanas in fla. It seemed to work perfectly for him, and not so much for the 300+ lizards Wink
You can also get scopes, lazers and red-dots for them.

-JohnDaddy, cans are a no can do in Illinois. Verboten by Das State.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8368 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Gamo Whisper Fusion .22. It should certainly get the job done.

Another, perhaps more tedious route would be to get a .22 rifle with a threaded barrel. Also, purchase a suppressor. I can vouch for the Tactical Solutions X-Ring .22 rifle and Dead Air Mask suppressor...this combo is QUIETER than my air rifle (with subsonic ammo).

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
CB Long ammo out of a cheap pawn shop bolt action .22 does a good job and is very quiet.

Posts: 26943 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
CB Long ammo out of a cheap pawn shop bolt action .22 does a good job and is very quiet.

Even regular target ammunition (which is subsonic) out of a .22 bolt gun is surprisingly quiet and doesn't sound much like a gun going off. To me, it sounds like someone quickly saying "bloop" at a quiet conversation volume level.

Of course, it might be illegal to fire real guns in your area, and I wouldn't recommend breaking the law.

I don't have a ton of experience with air guns, but the one I've shot that I'd be comfortable using on small game (an RWS Diana) is quite loud. It does sound more like a staple gun than a firearm, though.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
Gamo, bone collector top break is rated for 1,300 fps. It will punch holes thru a toaster and drive .177 into treated hardwood below the surface....We love to shoot it!!

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14013 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just saying- A friend had a small 22 cal pistol and shot shorts or something that barely made a noise. These below might be worth a try if you already had a .22?

quote:
CCI CB Long Subsonic 22LR "Yard Ammo" - 100 Rnds
"CB Long" is low power and low noise 22LR ammunition. We call it "Yard Ammo" because it is no louder nor powerful than many air rifles that you can shoot in your back yard. The CB Long bullet is only 29 grs in weight and the "Long" case positions it close to the rifling for best accuracy.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13409 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Depending on where you live/how close the neighbors are, be aware that a 1200 fps gun is going to make a loud "crack" as the pellet breaks the sound barrier leaving the barrel.

Posts: 4015 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Benjamin .177 Nitro Piston has successfully taken rabbits, squirrels and a woodchuck.
Shot placement is key.
It breaks the sound barrier and is louder than a Ruger 10/22.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

Even regular target ammunition (which is subsonic) out of a .22 bolt gun is surprisingly quiet and doesn't sound much like a gun going off. To me, it sounds like someone quickly saying "bloop" at a quiet conversation volume level.

Of course, it might be illegal to fire real guns in your area, and I wouldn't recommend breaking the law.

I don't have a ton of experience with air guns, but the one I've shot that I'd be comfortable using on small game (an RWS Diana) is quite loud. It does sound more like a staple gun than a firearm, though.

I would challenge the volume and characteristics of the sound of a .22 quiet from a bolt action is akin to two 12-inch 2x4 pieces of wood being slapped together.

(Keep the wood handy in the event questions are asked and you want to demonstrate what you were doing to scare the critter away. Wink )

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14041 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5156 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

A break action spring piston air rifle is very similar in the noise it makes to a .22 rifle shooting CB caps.

Posts: 10793 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know there are many who say its fine to use one of the newer high powered air rifles, but I shoot a lot of pests on the farm. I've seen raccoons absorb several rounds of HV .22LR and still not stop moving. I've actually moved up to .22wmr to reduce that. I'm not totally convinced they are the way to go.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11019 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Air guns can get expensive,talking pcp ones .
I be a poor boy and had to settle for the benjimim Maurader.With two dive tanks two fill contraptions and a Burris $300 scope i'm out over a grand.
Suits my needs very well,very accurate and has the built in can.

Posts: 22411 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As has been noted 22CB or 22 Short doesn't produce much noise at all, in part because they are Subsonic. With some of the air rifles suggested they may actually be louder than 22 Shorts because 1400 fps IS Supersonic and will produce that familiar whip crack.

Personally because I have a box of 22 Shorts AND a S&W 617 with a reflex sight that is what I would use for smaller critters. Due to the likely lack of ejection issues of using 22 Shorts in a semi I would recommend shopping for a 22 Bolt action. Do some looking around at a gun show and you just might get lucky and score a nice bolt action for well under 200 bucks.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5665 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Aquila makes a 22lr round with no powder,

Mars uses them on his rat busting vids he was posting,

I've shot them out of a couple of my heavy barrel target rifles, (remington and Anschutz)with good accuracy at about 30 ft,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10435 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
hmm, i didn't think of .22 shorts, but i'm sure that's still illegal here. Plus we had to take the thing out 2 feet away from my foundation, hate to miss and hit something important...

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1237 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Gamo Whisper BigCat 1300fps (no longer sold under that name), and NOT really quiet! Came with a scope, and I zeroed at 15 yards. Works really good on rabbits eating dinner in the vegetable garden.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post