SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    FIREARMS IN CANADA
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FIREARMS IN CANADA Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
My wife and I plan to make a trip to Alaska in our RV in the next few years.
I would prefer to travel with a firearm for self defense during the trip.
I know there are restrictions on firearms in Canada so I'm looking for the least hassle route.
Maybe a shotgun?
Have a few to pick from;
Winchester model 12 with a 22" barrel and a adjustable choke.
Weatherby PA459 pump, 12ga. with a advertised 18.5" barrel, pistol grip stock.

I would prefer the Weatherby as it has a shorter barrel, is lighter, is more disposable to me than my Winchester mdl 12. I looked at the Canadian allowed specs and saw a barrel lenght of 470mm (18.5039")lenght limit. I would be just shy of that spec unless the actual length is a bit more than published.
I did not read a restriction as to the pistol grip stock.I did extend the magazine from 5rnds to 7.

What suggestions do you have or actual experience?

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have traveled to Canada on hunting trips several times. My advice would be to take the most benign looking firearm possible. A wood stocked shotgun would be a good choice. Just because something meets the letter of the law, doesn't mean you can't get jacked around by some enthusiastic border agent.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
U.S. citizens bringing firearms into Canada, or taking firearms through Canada to Alaska are required to fill out a Non-Resident Firearms Declaration (Form CAFC 909 EF). The form must be presented in triplicate, unsigned, to a Canadian customs officer at the traveler's first point of entry into Canada. Remember, the customs officer must witness the signature, so do not sign the form beforehand.

Persons bringing more than three firearms into Canada will also need to complete a Non-Resident Firearm Declaration Continuation Sheet (form RCMP 5590).

Once it has been approved by the Canadian customs officer, the Non-Resident Firearms Declaration is valid for 60 days. The confirmed form acts as a license for the owner and as a temporary registration certificate for the firearms brought to Canada. The declaration can be renewed for free, providing it is renewed before it expires, by contacting the Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) (call 1-800-731-4000) of the relevant Canadian province or territory.

A confirmed Non-Resident Firearms Declaration costs a flat fee of $25, regardless of the number of firearms listed on it. It is valid only for the person who signs it and only for those firearms listed on the declaration.

Once the Non-Resident Firearms Declaration has been approved by the CBSA customs officer, the declaration acts as a license for the owner and it is valid for 60 days. For visits longer than 60 days, declarations can be renewed for free, providing they are renewed before they expire, by contacting the Chief Firearms Officer of the relevant province or territory.

Persons bringing firearms into Canada must also comply with Canadian Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms regulations. The Canadian customs officer at the point of entry can inform firearms owners of these regulations.

If this all sounds like a hassle. It’s because it is.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Plus you get to do this to get the firearm out of the lower 48 and into Canada and then into Alaska, then repeat it on the return.

quote:
Traveling outside of the U.S. - Temporarily taking a firearm, rifle, gun, shotgun or ammunition abroad for hunting purposes

What is the process for a traveler to temporarily take a firearm, rifle, gun, shotgun or ammunition abroad for hunting or sports-related purposes?

Current export regulations issued by the Department of State require travelers to file Electronic Export Information (EEI) for temporary export of personally owned firearms via the Automated Export System (AES) prior to departure from the United States.

When a traveler contacts CBP to register their firearm for export and reentry, CBP will:

Complete a CBP Form 4457 to ensure a problem-free return to the U.S., and provide a fact sheet about the regulation and how to comply in the interim.

If you need to complete a form 4457 in the course of your travel, please give yourself enough time to do so, 2-3 hours is a good estimate. You also have the option of registering in advance at a CBP Port of Entry. Once the CBP 4457 is completed, it can be used repeatedly for that particular firearm.

CBP advises travelers to become familiar with the import requirements of the foreign country(s) that they may be traveling through or visiting. Those countries may have restrictive laws and regulations regarding the use of firearms within their countries. For many countries that do allow the temporary importation of firearms, the CBP Form 4457 is required for entry of a U.S. owned firearm into their country. (Canada does not require it, but it does facilitate the temporary importation. Be sure to become familiar with Canada import requirements.)

If you are taking ammunition, and there is a possibility you will not use it all and would like to re-import it, your CBP Form 4457 should reflect the kind of ammunition you are departing with.

Upon returning to the U.S., the traveler will make a regular declaration regarding the personal effects and goods that they are carrying and ensure that they declare any firearms and ammunition.

To satisfy the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives requirements for the re-importation of a firearm please refer to 27 CFR 478.115(a). The ATF regulations allow for the use of the CF 4457 upon re-importation, and does not require an approved import permit (ATF-6), provided that CBP is satisfied that the firearm was previously exported from the United States and is now being returned.

To establish such proof, a bill of sale, receipt, copy of ATF Form 4473, household effects inventory, packing list, or registration on Customs Forms 4457 or 4455 may be used, if the registration form is completed prior to departure from the U.S. For military personnel, a properly executed Department of Defense Form 12521 signed by either the serviceman's commanding officer or an authorized Customs officer may be used. The acceptability of such proof is within the purview of the Customs officials at the port of entry.

Somehow I don't see a pistol grip shotgun as mpassing the "for hunting" test either here or in Canada.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to say you cannot bring any firearm into Canada "for self defence". In order to qualify for a Non Resident Firearms Declaration form you will have to have a "legitimate" reason to have the firearm in Canada. These would include a hunting trip, a competition or transporting non restricted firearms to a residence in Alaska.

"Momma say's the pistol is the Devil's right hand."

Posts: 694 | Location: Ontario | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
quote:

Do they allow you to cross with ammo? I can see them telling you no ammo, buy it when you get to Alaska.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kxc223:
I'm sorry to say you cannot bring any firearm into Canada "for self defence". In order to qualify for a Non Resident Firearms Declaration form you will have to have a "legitimate" reason to have the firearm in Canada. These would include a hunting trip, a competition or transporting non restricted firearms to a residence in Alaska.

Good to know "self defense" is illegitimate in Oh-Canada-Ehy.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How times have changed. Way back in my youth we'd drive up from the north east to Nova Scotia to rabbit hunt. We'd bring a truck full of guns and ammo.

Customs was just- What are you going to do- Hunt= Cool have a good time.

One time they asked if we brought any ammo- My Dad responded "Enough to start a war" they said "Cool have a good time". What's funny is we did have enough to start a war- We had a ton of shotgun shells since they were at least twice the cost in Canada.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13400 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdmb03:
quote:

Do they allow you to cross with ammo? I can see them telling you no ammo, buy it when you get to Alaska.
When I moved from Houston to Alaska I drove and had 4980 rounds of ammo with me. At the time (haven’t checked if still the case), you were allowed to transport 5000 rounds of ammo without a special permit. However, there is a kicker in that you have to pay taxes on the ammo but there is an exemption of 200 rounds tax free per adult.

At the border, I was directed to drive my truck into an inspection warehouse where an officer confirmed the ammo quantity and looked for contraband. Then I was directed to the office where I was able to show them my printed ammo inventory and then declared how much I paid for each round. They argued a little bit but in the end I paid the taxes based on Texas prices (much cheaper than Canadian prices). I was also able to select my 400 most expensive rounds (200 x 2 adults) as the ones that were tax free. Basically a fucking shakedown since I already paid taxes on it and I was only going to pass through Can-eh-duh for for days.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I guess I will be traveling un-armed.
How about shipping a Shotgun to Alaska and then picking it up?

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:

I'm not sure why you're saying that.
We did this last fall with an inexpensive 12ga. Pump action shotgun with about 20 rounds.
We filled out the forms ahead of time and it literally took us about 20 minutes to go through the process.
As to the question of why you want to bring a gun into Canada put down "animal defense" and tell them that you're planning on camping in some remote places.

Last time I checked I don't believe you're allowed to have a pistol grip but don't hold me to that.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
quote:

I'm not sure why you're saying that.
We did this last fall with an inexpensive 12ga. Pump action shotgun with about 20 rounds.
We filled out the forms ahead of time and it literally took us about 20 minutes to go through the process.
As to the question of why you want to bring a gun into Canada put down "animal defense" and tell them that you're planning on camping in some remote places.

Last time I checked I don't believe you're allowed to have a pistol grip but don't hold me to that.
I didn't mention in my previous post, but I moved from Alaska to Canada. I took the class, passed the test, filled out the application, passed the background check, and ultimately obtained a Canadian Permit and Acquisition License (PAL). It took 10 months, and then another 4 to get to my Dad's house to retrieve a shotty and bolt action rifle.

Here is everything you need to know about visiting Canada with a firearm.

Here is everything you need to know about using a firearm for wildnerness protection.

If the OP follows the visitor guide it should be pretty brief at the border. It's not like you're from Texas and they won't believe you're not carrying an arsenal (that was a paraphrase of the Canadian border crossing agent).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:

Perfect opportunity to buy yourself another when you get there. Then you only have to worry about shipping it home. Smile

Oh, wait, I just noticed the IL location. You probably cannot buy out of state.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
If nothing else, carry bear spray.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I have a had a few border-crossing encounters with Canadian BP over the last couple of decades and they complete combative, jackbooted jackasses every time. They went out of their way to be insulting, treating me like a criminal, even with my wife and young children in the car with me.

There's no way I would try to enter their country with a firearm of any kind, regardless of legal paperwork.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
I have a had a few border-crossing encounters with Canadian BP over the last couple of decades and they complete combative, jackbooted jackasses every time. They went out of their way to be insulting, treating me like a criminal, even with my wife and young children in the car with me.

There's no way I would try to enter their country with a firearm of any kind, regardless of legal paperwork.

I have never transported a firearm across the boarder, but my experience is the complete opposite of this. I have found the Canadian BP to be completely professional, a few were down right friendly. However, the US CBP officers have tended to be more jackasses when I have come back into the US.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was also treated poorly by a BP agent in Victoria, B.C. I asked for the method to make a complaint, and she turned so I could not read her badge number, and was calmed way down. It was obvious she was throwing her weight around to be a jerk.

I am sure the BP individuals are expected to be polite to non-criminals. A few complaints to their supervisor would not look good on their record.

As to Alaska, I would arrange for a gun shop in AK to receive a handgun from you. Glock 20's are popular up there. Bring the shotgun and ship the pistol.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Canada is going to have to do without any of my tourist dollars.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kxc223:

This is true by my experience, or at least used to be.

About 20 years ago I was living in central NY and was heading up to Toronto to have Lasik surgery done. I called ahead and asked what I needed to do, if anything, to bring my Winchester Defender with me (legally).

The official that I spoke with asked me, "Why do you want to bring that shotgun with you into Canada?". I responded, "For self-defense".

He told me, "You cannot bring a weapon into Canada for the purposes of self-defense".

I then asked him, "For what reason could I bring a weapon into Canada?", and he replied, "Hunting."

I said, "OK, I'm going hunting. What do I need to do in order to be legal?". He explained the process. Big Grin

Funny thing was, I breezed right through the border crossing that day with just a wave-through.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was also treated poorly by a BP agent in Victoria, B.C.

Maybe it's an east Canadian border thing vs. a west Canadian border thing? I got a hard time crossing from Washington state into British Columbia.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post