SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    S&G 6120 electronic lock replacement > DIY?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&G 6120 electronic lock replacement > DIY? Login/Join 
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted
Can an S&G 6120 electronic lock be replaced by anyone or is this a job for a locksmith? I have one that is not working consistently.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Electronic locks are a lot easier for a do it yourself replacement than mechanical. As with all things there are some tricks and other things you'll need to be mindful of.

I wouldn't replace it with another 6120. From the sounds of it your safe likely is out of warranty, but if it isn't, working on it yourself will void it.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
What do you like for electronic locks, these days, a1abdj?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't know what the electronic lock was in my former gun safe (probably Chinese), but I had to use the skeleton key override a few times. What has to be done if a lock defies all attempts to open it?

Posts: 27925 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Electronic locks are a lot easier for a do it yourself replacement than mechanical. As with all things there are some tricks and other things you'll need to be mindful of.

I wouldn't replace it with another 6120. From the sounds of it your safe likely is out of warranty, but if it isn't, working on it yourself will void it.

A1abdj, you are correct, warranty is long gone on this one. Where would be a good source for me to purchase a replacement better than simply buying another 6120? I don’t see any SAVTA techs listed near me. Most of the locksmiths advertising here focus on auto lockouts, not safe work.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post