SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home canners and microbiologists step right this way
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home canners and microbiologists step right this way Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
Experimenting around, I came up with a fantabulous hot sauce and I would like to be able to can it for my later use and/or for gifts.

Problem is, as you can probably imagine, it is not an "approved" or "tested" recipe. I have a fairly good idea, from fiddling around on the Googlewebs, of how to test this.

Apparently, puree-ing up the item and canning it as you'd like (water bath in this case), letting it set for 2-3 months, and then testing the pH to assure that it is below 4.6, and you're good to go...assuming that there are no other signs of spoilage, which there shouldn't be at that pH. I have access to a lab grade pH tester. Question is, will I be safe doing this?

The recipe does have vinegar and I also put some citric acid in it as well. The pH prior to canning was well below 4.6 (2.9ish as I recall).

Currently, it's been three weeks and the jars are still sealed tightly with no signs of any gas in the jars.

Aside from the pH, I would think that if the jars remain sealed (no gas from botulism), they should be safe, no?

This may seem like a dumb question from someone who's been canning and eating canned foods my whole life, but I've always done things straight from the Ball book or from mom's recipes and I've never really done any of my own recipes.

Thanks for any input.

To add, I suppose that I could just pressure can it, but I'm afraid that it might over cook the ingredients and it wouldn't be as good. Hence, the desire to water-bath.

Posts: 20121 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
“Your Extension office has information on food safety and storing and cooking with canned goods and commodities. For your local Extension office, look in Government pages of the phone book, or call the Montana State Extension office: 406-994-5702.”

I tried to find the testing center I found, years ago, but failed.

It is quite reasonable to have a recipe tested. I THINK the FDA offered it.

Essentially, you make the good, the they tell you if it needs to be canned in a retort, and if so, at what time and pressure.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Since you have access to a pH meter, have you tested other hot sauces?
I'm no expert. When I make beer the fermentation drops the pH. I inderstand it's around 4.4 after starting around 5.4 or so. But this then includes alcohol as an inhibitor. As they say in the homebrew books, "Nothing that can live in beer can hurt you."

The reason I mention this is 2.9 (again, not an expert) seems pretty low for something I'm going to be eating?
Just my 2 cents and I'm sure I'm missing somethings other than also being scared of botulism spores.

Posts: 7366 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I bet you could locate some lab locally to do an actual sample study for various values.

As far as water bath sterilizing goes, I've never seen failure in our smallish circle of friends/home canners. No pH tests have been involved, but neither has any wretched molds/etc.

Good luck.

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
You might contact these folks down in Georgia, The National Center For Food Preservation at the University of Georgia. There is a "contact us" clicky button thing at the FAQ section.

This is an excellent site Food Safety Experts LINK

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11858 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys. I'll make a few calls today.

Posts: 20121 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post