SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Winter Coat Recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winter Coat Recommendations Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
What does the Forum like as far as winter coats?

I have a Thinsulate parka type coat but it's pretty old and beat, good still for shoveling snow but not for wearing out and about.

I'd like something like that that's not too bulky and thick, does anyone have any recommendations?

Not a fan of the poofy looking coats that seem to be popular

Posts: 33882 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with:

Duluth Trading Company
Carhart

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Columbia last a long time and are warm

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Columbia has been nice as well. If I need a rain coat at any time, I can unzip the liner and use it year around.

Posts: 4219 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
I've got an earlier model of this one which gets me through all but the absolute coldest New England days, for which I switch to a 3/4 length puffy coat:

https://www.landsend.com/produ...26,43398,44255,44967

This one is even nicer, and what I would go with if I were buying today:

https://www.landsend.com/produ...=11657&dysku=5269983

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
What is the goal? Do you want a rain jacket with insulation? A jacket for warmth that is lightweight? If both, then a Columbia style set up might be what you’re looking for as suggested above. Most of their zip in liners are stand alone fleece jackets so you have some flexibility.

Personally I’m a fan of a soft shell high pile fleece with a DWR (durable water repellent) finish to repel light moisture. They are lightweight and act as a wind stopper as well.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15626 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
My everyday is a peacoat from dockers. To and from the office.
When doing "work", I have a carhart knockoff that was embroidered with my company logo. It is a "Dri-Duck" brand.

I carry a winter/arctic carhart coverall suit in my trunk/bed for emergencies on the road during winter.

I have a 5.11 winter duty jacket for my chaplain callouts that is quite warm, but I don't wear it unless on a call.

Despite the -10 to -40F temps, I've found that all of the jackets above work just fine when utilized with layers. Baffin boots help for those unfortunate trips to Fairbanks and Delta in the winter. trips I try to avoid.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lands End parka's are my choice & the hood zips off. I just checked online & the current styles do not have detachable hoods.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4283 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend Helly Hansen

More than just for sailing - they have workwear - which I also use and recommend but their line of winter jackets include quite a variety - The Hooded Parka is great but I use the Crew Midlayer most

ETA: Oops, my bad! - I use the Crew Hooded which I think is close to the mid layer crew just not hooded

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I like wool. I also like real goose down. Neither off those options are cheap. I also like fleece for certain conditions. I try to buy quality USA or Canadian made typically.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19244 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I use my USCG issued foul weather parka, https://www.ebay.com/itm/31353...160428fcd41e2d40ae03

I didn’t pay that much for it though

If I’m just outside working I use a carhart are coat

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11308 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arc'teryx. Bring your wallet!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16124 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My warmest coat is a Columbia. We don't need very warm coats around here very often.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big fan of a USN Pea Coat!
Duluth and Columbia have some nice warm stuff as well.

I like a coat with a shell and liner. The shell keeps the wind and rain/snow out, the liner keeps the warmth in, you can also just wear the shell or just wear the liner.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8368 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I am old school ... Filson wool under double tin jacket.

If dry outside I have a heavy wool knit Native American knitted buttoned sweater coat.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post
Many decades ago, Eddie Bauer was an arctic expedition outfitter and made the best outerwear. Their great old stuff can still be found on eBay. Now all they make and sell is JUNK from Pakistan and Vietnam.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30422...tkp%3ABk9SR67Pg6ylXw

Posts: 175 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a Columbia Bugaboo 3in1. Great coat that has flexibility for different conditions

Posts: 833 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
For what I still have favorite on down.
Arc'teryx
Marmot
North Face
Columbia Titanium

Posts: 429 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last winter coat I bought was a Filson Double Mackinaw Cruiser. That was in 1989. Still going strong. Finally bought the double mac cap to match last year.

Posts: 656 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Columbia fan; I have two parkas, both lined and one has a removable liner with hood. One is approaching 15 years of service, still nice looking. But, in my area most of the time my L.L. Bean Thinsulate lined jacket (to include the sleeves) is fine. For dressier events; I have a wool London Fog coat styled quite similar to a Naval Officer's bridge coat (my Navy issue pea coat no longer fits!).

Posts: 3227 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post