SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can "Under the Limit" still drive? LEO's step inside please...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can "Under the Limit" still drive? LEO's step inside please... Login/Join 
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George43:
In Texas the max BAC if carrying is 0.0.

That is not a true statement.

Just isn't. If you believe it to be true, please go to:

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/

And find it. That way we can all learn.

Likely places to look would be:
Chapter 411 government code (LTC law)
Chapter 49 penal code ( intoxication offenses)
Chapter 46 Penal code (weapons offenses)

Thanks.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
My wife drives if I drink anything. Before her, I would drink very little and wait a while before getting behind the wheel.
A Metro officer once told me that 1 in 5 traffic stops in Vegas results in a DWI arrest.

The last time I went through a checkpoint, the officer asked me if I had been drinking. I answered truthfully "Yep, 2 beers with dinner, 3 hours ago". I guess that was specific enough that he didn't want to spend time on me. I was disappointed. I was going to slay those field sobriety tests! Smile

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Go ahead, refuse to take any tests. Refuse to make any statements. A telephonic search warrant from a Superior Court judge takes minutes. Then a licensed phlebotomist draws your blood sample, with or without your consent. If there is a significant delay, the BAC at the time of arrest can be determined by rate of elimination. FST and breath test refusal almost always guarantees a nights stay in jail. And you will probably lose your operators license to mandatory suspension, face insurance increases, etc.

If a state allows a driver to elect a blood test instead of a breath test, take it. Blood analysis is more accurate than breath. Note that the results of the blood test may be used as evidence.

Or cooperate, get a defense attorney and take the case to court (about $10,000 is the going rate for a trial).

Prescribed medications that may impair driving are always marked with warnings that they may cause impairment. Impairment is impairment. Prescribed medications may not readily be identified by HGN depending on the medication, but a DRE can identify them by category. A DRE must follow a multiple step evaluation process to determine the category of drugs in a persons system. Blood tests can support the DRE evaluation.

Just curious , Cooperate and get a defense attourney: Why cooperate ? I wouldn't do that if i was suspected of any crime. That telephone warrent for the blood draw can be challenged on probable cause - reasonable suspicion. So can the original stop. Refusing the field sobrity , or a BAL test that was never done cant be used against you. Why would a more definitive test , blood v breath, be of any advantage to the accused ?
Most prosecutors are lazy, a DUI lacking any blood level, field sobriety test observations, with probable cause issues, throw in some conflicting witness statements and maby catch the arresting officer in a mistake , a aggressive, experienced defense lawyer might get a lesser charge or even get it dismissed.
As for the nite in jail, the $10 000 plus cost, loss of DL, insurance premiums , humilation, career and marriage problems, that all was in play when the decision was made to drink and drive, don't do it.

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
One could put a lot of effort into figuring out how best to deal with the problem of being stopped after drinking. Seems a lot easier to just avoid the problem entirely. If you are going to drive, don’t drink. If you are going to drink, don’t drive.

I guess some folks never figure this out, but one can have a lot of fun without drinking anything stronger than water.

Edited for typo: s/hoe/how/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: slosig,

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I used to work for a flight training outfit that specialized in instrument training. Some of the instructors would gather for pizza and beer at a nearby place, after work.

One day we get the bright idea of seeing how much beer it would take to render a pilot incapable of flying precisely (answer: not very much at all!).

We shared a few pitchers of beer along with our pizza, then walked back to our training facility and ran some scenarios in the simulators. Piss poor performance, even from those who had just had a couple of glasses of beer.
Very soon after I got my license I participated in a study a psychologist I had written some software for was doing. Fly a pattern in his Franca sim, have some drinks, fly it again. I had very little instrument experience (probably just the minimum for the private license) and the most recent was flying a Cub, just about as far from instrument anything as you can get. Even after a warm up before the sober pattern, I still was over controlling and getting fixated rather than keeping a decent scan going. I did much better after the drinks.
The experiment I referred to above took place while I was working at a training facility at Chicago's Midway airport. We operated a bunch of simulators, a great tool for efficiently teaching instrument flight procedures.

Based on my experience, instructing with simulators for many hours, I would question the basis of your statement that you did much better after a few drinks. Yes, you probably did better, but unless you're a functioning alcoholic, it's not likely that the performance improvement was due to the drinks. You most likely did better because of the practice and familiarity that you gained prior to the later attempt (after the drinks).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
I know a guy from high school that got two DUIs and in both cases his BAC was below .08.

I think if the LEO determines that the person is too “intoxicated” to drive, regardless of BAC level, they can arrest for DUI.

Ok, I am CERTAINLY NOT the authority on this as I am not a highway safety guy, nor a DUI guy...

But a couple points of order..

First off, the officer doesn't DETERMINE a damn thing. THe officer compares the alleged impaired driver to a standard set of tests, and judges the driver's ability compared to the standard. There are at least 3 standard tests, and a few more depending on jurisdiction. If drugs as opposed to alcohol is suspected, there are replacements and other training.

Don't blame the cop.... Blame the idiot... Or at least blame the lowest common denominator that makes the test so easy to fail (more on that later)\

All that said... The tests are just averages.... I know people who would fail a STFST sober and people who would pass it bomb ass wasted.... Those are obviously the outliers on the scale and when I say so, I mean EXTREME outliers.

With respect to the question... LEGALLY HERE IN MO. Yes, a person could blow below a .08 yet fail SFST (Standardized Field Sobriety Tests) to the point where they were charged with DUI. It is rare, but it is possible WITHOUT a technicality. You need to remember that certain drugs, expecially psychiatric drugs, like Xanax, intenstly magnify the effects of alcohol. You normally drink a six pack of beer, but suddenly start taking Xanax, that's like drinking an 18 pack or more in the same time frame.

Lack of sleep, prescription medication, health conditions, all play into this.

The other side is also possible.... SOME people may just be good at it. I can only speak to simulator work, but honest to got, my times improved and I was MORE safe as I got in the simulator.... It was weird.

I had a chance to get full on crocked and get in the simulator car ( think the coolest video game you played, that moves, bumps, really blows air from tthe vents, etc....) I actually beat my times from a 0.00 up to and just past nearly twice the legal limit.... After .16 it went downhill VERY FAST.

It's scary to see the data first hand.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
I used to work for a flight training outfit that specialized in instrument training. Some of the instructors would gather for pizza and beer at a nearby place, after work.

One day we get the bright idea of seeing how much beer it would take to render a pilot incapable of flying precisely (answer: not very much at all!).

We shared a few pitchers of beer along with our pizza, then walked back to our training facility and ran some scenarios in the simulators. Piss poor performance, even from those who had just had a couple of glasses of beer.
Very soon after I got my license I participated in a study a psychologist I had written some software for was doing. Fly a pattern in his Franca sim, have some drinks, fly it again. I had very little instrument experience (probably just the minimum for the private license) and the most recent was flying a Cub, just about as far from instrument anything as you can get. Even after a warm up before the sober pattern, I still was over controlling and getting fixated rather than keeping a decent scan going. I did much better after the drinks.
The experiment I referred to above took place while I was working at a training facility at Chicago's Midway airport. We operated a bunch of simulators, a great tool for efficiently teaching instrument flight procedures.

Based on my experience, instructing with simulators for many hours, I would question the basis of your statement that you did much better after a few drinks. Yes, you probably did better, but unless you're a functioning alcoholic, it's not likely that the performance improvement was due to the drinks. You most likely did better because of the practice and familiarity that you gained prior to the later attempt (after the drinks).

Oh, more exposure to the sim was definitely a big part of it. It is possible that relaxing and not “trying too hard” (can you say PIO) didn’t hurt either. I’m sure it was much more about my lack of instrument skills at that time than anything else. As I stated in the part of the post you clipped off “I’ve got to imagine the results would be much more in line with expectations now.”

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:

I had a chance to get full on crocked and get in the simulator car ( think the coolest video game you played, that moves, bumps, really blows air from tthe vents, etc....) I actually beat my times from a 0.00 up to and just past nearly twice the legal limit.... After .16 it went downhill VERY FAST.

It's scary to see the data first hand.

I'd love to try that. We have a local radio station that every year near Xmas/NYE does a drinking show. They bring in local cops who breathalize them as the show goes on. It's interesting to hear their speech along with breathalyzer readings and drink count. I think it's a cool community outreach thing and let's you hear the effects.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20812 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott in NCal:
quote:
Go ahead, refuse to take any tests. Refuse to make any statements. A telephonic search warrant from a Superior Court judge takes minutes. Then a licensed phlebotomist draws your blood sample, with or without your consent. If there is a significant delay, the BAC at the time of arrest can be determined by rate of elimination. FST and breath test refusal almost always guarantees a nights stay in jail. And you will probably lose your operators license to mandatory suspension, face insurance increases, etc.

If a state allows a driver to elect a blood test instead of a breath test, take it. Blood analysis is more accurate than breath. Note that the results of the blood test may be used as evidence.

Or cooperate, get a defense attorney and take the case to court (about $10,000 is the going rate for a trial).

Prescribed medications that may impair driving are always marked with warnings that they may cause impairment. Impairment is impairment. Prescribed medications may not readily be identified by HGN depending on the medication, but a DRE can identify them by category. A DRE must follow a multiple step evaluation process to determine the category of drugs in a persons system. Blood tests can support the DRE evaluation.

Just curious , Cooperate and get a defense attourney: Why cooperate ? I wouldn't do that if i was suspected of any crime. That telephone warrent for the blood draw can be challenged on probable cause - reasonable suspicion. So can the original stop. Refusing the field sobrity , or a BAL test that was never done cant be used against you. Why would a more definitive test , blood v breath, be of any advantage to the accused ?
Most prosecutors are lazy, a DUI lacking any blood level, field sobriety test observations, with probable cause issues, throw in some conflicting witness statements and maby catch the arresting officer in a mistake , a aggressive, experienced defense lawyer might get a lesser charge or even get it dismissed.
As for the nite in jail, the $10 000 plus cost, loss of DL, insurance premiums , humilation, career and marriage problems, that all was in play when the decision was made to drink and drive, don't do it.

Like I and others said, enjoy having your mom drive you back and forth for the year after you refuse the test. An “aggressive attorney” won’t get you out of that. Two facts to be had. Did the officer ask for you to take a test, and did you say no. And that is the name of that tune. There’s no middle ground, no wiggle room, no hardship license.....no nothing. Plus you’ll probably be out $10k and get convicted anyway. But wait there’s more. Every time you get behind the wheel in that year, you go straight to jail for 7 days. And the third time you get caught, you’re a convicted felon. Yep, totally worth not taking that test.

Do you really want to walk for a year on a slim chance of “maybe”? I lost ONE DUI trial in 20 years on the road. One out of a couple of thousand.

The hilarious part is listening to the phone calls from the jail during implied consent when they are given time to call an attorney. The conversation is always the same “hello this is John Smith. I got picked up for DUI.....take the test and call your office on Monday...Hello? Hello?...I think we got cut off”. Every DUI attorney I have ever known tells people to take all and any tests. I guess internet law and actual law differs.

I have yet to meet a “lazy” DUI prosecutor. Frankly, your post sounds like a infomercial for a sleezy law firm that also throws in a guarantee to meet Bigfoot.

Like I sai above, take the test, don’t take the test. You’ll get convicted at trial either way.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Like I said above, take the test, don’t take the test. You’ll get convicted at trial either way.

Seems that a some LE and Prosecutors always want to make their job easier.
Why not just let 'em in to your house too without a warrant?
If you haven't done anything then what do you have to fear.
DO NOT RESIST.
We don't need no stinkin' Constitution.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Like I said above, take the test, don’t take the test. You’ll get convicted at trial either way.

Seems that a some LE and Prosecutors always want to make their job easier.
Why not just let 'em in to your house too without a warrant?
If you haven't done anything then what do you have to fear.
DO NOT RESIST.
We don't need no stinkin' Constitution.

You also left out burning down a CVS when you don’t get your way.

That’ll teach them.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
quote:

Like I and others said, enjoy having your mom drive you back and forth for the year after you refuse the test. An “aggressive attorney” won’t get you out of that. Two facts to be had. Did the officer ask for you to take a test, and did you say no. And that is the name of that tune. There’s no middle ground, no wiggle room, no hardship license.....no nothing. Plus you’ll probably be out $10k and get convicted anyway. But wait there’s more. Every time you get behind the wheel in that year, you go straight to jail for 7 days. And the third time you get caught, you’re a convicted felon. Yep, totally worth not taking that test.

Do you really want to walk for a year on a slim chance of “maybe”? I lost ONE DUI trial in 20 years on the road. One out of a couple of thousand.

The hilarious part is listening to the phone calls from the jail during implied consent when they are given time to call an attorney. The conversation is always the same “hello this is John Smith. I got picked up for DUI.....take the test and call your office on Monday...Hello? Hello?...I think we got cut off”. Every DUI attorney I have ever known tells people to take all and any tests. I guess internet law and actual law differs.

I have yet to meet a “lazy” DUI prosecutor. Frankly, your post sounds like a infomercial for a sleezy law firm that also throws in a guarantee to meet Bigfoot.

Like I sai above, take the test, don’t take the test. You’ll get convicted at trial either way.

Why are you listening to conversations between people you have placed under arrest and their lawyers ? Has the constitution changed since i was a Dept Sherriff ? Reguarding refusal, 2 facts you say. Did the arresting officer request the test ? Did the guy say no ? What if onced placed under arrest, the guy goes full on with the 5th, I want a lawyer, i wont answer any questions, if you keep asking me questions i will tell my lawyer. Then you ask him anouther question, to take the test, and he gives no response whatsoever. The jury in some trial court will determine fact here. Remaining silent cant be used against you, what can the arresting officer testify to, that the guy didn't say no, what will the jury think ? Also, as I understand it, and the way it is here, refusal results in the DMV automatically suspending the drivers license.The DMV hearing is a process completely seperate from the criminal case. People have, and do , beat the DUI charge and still get the suspended drivers license. They beat the criminal charge, but have a suspended license for refusal. Unless they lose a job so what, uber and lyft for a year
Certian states dont care about outher states about the administrative DMV hearings of other states , only about convictions. Find one. get licensed there. For about $2500 Mexico will issue you a nonresident drivers lic that NAFTA says is valid here. If I ever was arrested for anything the last place I would take advice from is the arresting officer, I would not say a thing, i would not consent to anything. I would feel much more confident having my lawyer answering a complaint that has no lab report, than one that includes a report indicating guilt. If I can present evidence the arresting officer listened in on privileged communication between me and my lawyer this most certianly will die on the prosecuters desk.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Oh noes!!! More false anger and angst.

If you guys would simply not drink and drive, you wouldn’t have to go to all this scheming. If you do drink and drive, you get what you deserve.

I can’t really figure why it’s so hard to understand or why anyone would scheme so hard to legitimize and defend the habit of driving drunk. Get caught, get convicted.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh noes!!! More false anger and angst.

If you guys would simply not drink and drive, you wouldn’t have to go to all this scheming. If you do drink and drive, you get what you deserve.

I can’t really figure why it’s so hard to understand or why anyone would scheme so hard to legitimize and defend the habit of driving drunk. Get caught, get convicted.
in

I am rather at a loss as to why you would think i am trying to defend or legitimize drunk.driving. I posted dont do it, I said all that stuff, the cost, the embarassemet, jail time, lost jobs, ruined marriages ect comes into play when the choice to drink and drive is made. But all that is nothing really, The real question is how are you going to live with yourself if you kill someone ? Again, dont drink and drive. The other part is what do if facing criminal charges, and I wouldnt cooperate in anyway, unless or untill i got something in exchange for it. Even a innocent person can make implicating statements. For example admitting you were near where a crime was comitted, that will get used against you.. Telling a policeman what happened dosent mean he will understand what you meant, that his notes will be correct or that he will remember it correctly several months later. Maby you were not the one in control of the car, maby there are many ??? as to what happened. If someone comitted a crime, is caught and convicted fine. We are presumed innocent, when someone fights a bogus charge , and the jury decides the government case comes up short, we are all winners. As for the OPs original question, what happenes when the driver obviously been drinking, but is below 0.08. It depends. If they are sleeping in their car in front of there house nothing, Passing thru a DUI check point, nothing. Reckless driving, speeding 20 mph over , an accident , different story.

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I worked with city, county, state and AUSA federal prosecutors on DUI to federal cases. Not one of them was "lazy". Some prepared better than others, no doubt. It was their career on the line. They took pride in their successes. They could have been making ten times the money in private practice, but they chose to serve their communities and country. They were often overworked and underpaid, and served at the will of the city attorney, county attorney, state AG or USA AG. There's no tenure with prosecutors.

As well, I am related to and have known many judges at all levels. The same applied. In AZ judges are appointed. If judges don't perform, the voters can remove them from office.

If a defendant talks to his attorney in the presence of an investigator, there may be no expectation of privilege for that conversation. The utterance may not amount to anything useful, but you'd be surprised. Some defendants just can't keep their mouths shut.

A defendant has the right to refuse to answer questions after Miranda. That doesn't apply to the investigator. Miranda says the police must stop the interrogation. The investigator can talk all he wants. He can talk about the weather or lay out the case if that's his technique. The defendant doesn't have to say a thing in response. If the defendant does chose to speak, an investigator may chose to remind the defendant again of his rights and/or get a signed waiver. But it's not required. A highly regarded AZ AUSA told me that investigators all to often stop investigating to quickly upon defendants invoking Miranda.

I arrested a defendant for two counts of 1st degree homicide of two 12 year old boys. Each time I interviewed him he verbally and in written waiver, signed his understanding. Only one time did he say "maybe I should just get a lawyer". I kept talking to him. He voluntarily made a statement that was of evidentiary value to the case. The trial judge allowed his statements. He was convicted on both counts. The case was appealed to the AZ State Supreme Court. One of his many motions was that I violated his rights. The State Supreme Court panel unanimously denied the motions. The State Appellate Court unanimously denied the motions. He died in prison after 40+ years.

Quote: "It depends. If they are sleeping in their car in front of there house nothing, Passing thru a DUI check point, nothing. Reckless driving, speeding 20 mph over , an accident , different story."

Incorrect. If the driver is sleeping in his car in front of his house and the vehicle is running or capable of being immediately driven away, ie keys in the ignition, or car in gear with foot on the brake, it is considered physical control while under the influence. In fact, in many states a DUI can result from a driver driving on or parked on private property if physical control conditions exist. DUI and vehicular manslaughter are two motor vehicle charges that often apply not only on the roadway but on private property. Read your state statutes.

And passing through a check point can result in a DUI if certain driving mannerisms are detected and the driver is determined to be DUI. I've worked many check points. I've seen drivers almost run over officers handing out brochures about DUI. The drivers were DUI and charged.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ETA: My experience on this is based on about four and a half years as a street cop with specific focus in alcohol and drug impaired driving enforcement, and specialized training and certification as a NHTSA/IACP Drug Recognition Expert as well as the responsibility of training all new officers in OWI detection/enforcement at my last agency. I don't know it all, but I know this subject fairly well.

Iowa's law allows for an OWI to be prosecuted using three different prongs.

a. While under the influence of an alcoholic beverage or other drug or a combination of
such substances.
b. While having an alcohol concentration of .08 or more.
c. While any amount of a controlled substance is present in the person, as measured in
the person’s blood or urine.

A. means that you can be arrested and convicted of OWI under .08, and without drugs in your system, but because you're too impaired to drive.

It's a tolerance thing, ultimately, and I always compare it to running when I'm trying to explain it to a drunk driver. If you've never run before, and you decide to run a mile on January 1st, it really sucks. You do it every single day for a year, and by December 31st, it's easy, but it's still just one mile.

If you never drank before, and you chugged two 12oz beers (5% ABV or so), you would feel deeeee-runk, but you would be under .08; probably around .05-.06 or so. But if it's your first time drinking, you are probably too drunk to drive.

Take that same alcohol content, same person, same circumstances, but have them be a 21 year old college student who drinks every weekend, and they're not going to feel it as much, and are therefore not likely to be under the influence.

quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
The DWI lawyers all say not to take any tests.
They are ALL rigged to convict you.

Also a hilariously false statement. Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus, Walk and Turn, and One Leg Stand are scientifically validated, standardized tests. They work, they have been proven to discern impairment at level of .08 when properly administered by trained officers, and the results are repeatable. This is inarguable. The research overwhelmingly disproves your statement.

To that point, I would bet that I test and release 3 or 4 drivers for every single driver I test and arrest. Some inexperienced fellers will tell you "If I ask you to get out and do the tests, I already know you're drunk," but that's some reckless BS to be spreading.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 811 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Why are you listening to conversations between people you have placed under arrest and their lawyers ? Has the constitution changed since i was a Dept Sherriff ? Reguarding refusal, 2 facts you say. Did the arresting officer request the test ? Did the guy say no ? What if onced placed under arrest, the guy goes full on with the 5th, I want a lawyer, i wont answer any questions, if you keep asking me questions i will tell my lawyer. Then you ask him anouther question, to take the test, and he gives no response whatsoever. The jury in some trial court will determine fact here. Remaining silent cant be used against you, what can the arresting officer testify to, that the guy didn't say no, what will the jury think ? Also, as I understand it, and the way it is here, refusal results in the DMV automatically suspending the drivers license.The DMV hearing is a process completely seperate from the criminal case. People have, and do , beat the DUI charge and still get the suspended drivers license. They beat the criminal charge, but have a suspended license for refusal. Unless they lose a job so what, uber and lyft for a year
Certian states dont care about outher states about the administrative DMV hearings of other states , only about convictions. Find one. get licensed there. For about $2500 Mexico will issue you a nonresident drivers lic that NAFTA says is valid here. If I ever was arrested for anything the last place I would take advice from is the arresting officer, I would not say a thing, i would not consent to anything. I would feel much more confident having my lawyer answering a complaint that has no lab report, than one that includes a report indicating guilt. If I can present evidence the arresting officer listened in on privileged communication between me and my lawyer this most certianly will die on the prosecuters desk.

A request for an evidentiary chemical test is not subject to Miranda protections because the test result is not testimonial. You can invoke your rights all you want, but if you don't take the test, it's a refusal.

I work in an area with a large number of OWI cases; probably the 2nd most of every county in Iowa. We have several "aggressive" attorneys around here that specialize in OWI cases. I have never lost a refusal.

Another member here, a coworker of mine, has done more than 2200 OWIs in his career to date. He has had exactly two go to trial. He won both of them. Most OWI cases are easy, open and shut cases. I have significantly less than 2200 cases under my belt, but I have never had one go to trial. 99% of cases end with a plea of guilty to the charged offense(s).

Remember, everyone has their "plan" of how they're going to beat SFSTs, and win their case, etc. but all of those plans are predicated on executing everything flawlessly...while drunk.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 811 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a juror on a fed trial where one of the charges was driving under the influence of alcohol and or drugs. Defendant was outside the car and acting erratically when LEO showed up. Open containers in the car. Defendant’s blood test at the police station about two hours post contact came back .05 with traces of MJ and LSD. The MJ and LSD amounts were at a level where usage was likely weeks prior. Govt. expert did the math and said defendant was probably .07-.08 when the LEOs showed up. Defendant beat the feds on the DUI. He was found guilty of the other charges. It was an interesting three days as a juror.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I worked with city, county, state and AUSA federal prosecutors on DUI to federal cases. Not one of them was "lazy". Some prepared better than others, no doubt. It was their career on the line. They took pride in their successes. They could have been making ten times the money in private practice, but they chose to serve their communities and country. They were often overworked and underpaid, and served at the will of the city attorney, county attorney, state AG or USA AG. There's no tenure with prosecutors.

As well, I am related to and have known many judges at all levels. The same applied. In AZ judges are appointed. If judges don't perform, the voters can remove them from office.

If a defendant talks to his attorney in the presence of an investigator, there may be no expectation of privilege for that conversation. The utterance may not amount to anything useful, but you'd be surprised. Some defendants just can't keep their mouths shut.

A defendant has the right to refuse to answer questions after Miranda. That doesn't apply to the investigator. Miranda says the police must stop the interrogation. The investigator can talk all he wants. He can talk about the weather or lay out the case if that's his technique. The defendant doesn't have to say a thing in response. If the defendant does chose to speak, an investigator may chose to remind the defendant again of his rights and/or get a signed waiver. But it's not required. A highly regarded AZ AUSA told me that investigators all to often stop investigating to quickly upon defendants invoking Miranda.

I arrested a defendant for two counts of 1st degree homicide of two 12 year old boys. Each time I interviewed him he verbally and in written waiver, signed his understanding. Only one time did he say "maybe I should just get a lawyer". I kept talking to him. He voluntarily made a statement that was of evidentiary value to the case. The trial judge allowed his statements. He was convicted on both counts. The case was appealed to the AZ State Supreme Court. One of his many motions was that I violated his rights. The State Supreme Court panel unanimously denied the motions. The State Appellate Court unanimously denied the motions. He died in prison after 40+ years.

Quote: "It depends. If they are sleeping in their car in front of there house nothing, Passing thru a DUI check point, nothing. Reckless driving, speeding 20 mph over , an accident , different story."

Incorrect. If the driver is sleeping in his car in front of his house and the vehicle is running or capable of being immediately driven away, ie keys in the ignition, or car in gear with foot on the brake, it is considered physical control while under the influence. In fact, in many states a DUI can result from a driver driving on or parked on private property if physical control conditions exist. DUI and vehicular manslaughter are two motor vehicle charges that often apply not only on the roadway but on private property. Read your state statutes.

And passing through a check point can result in a DUI if certain driving mannerisms are detected and the driver is determined to be DUI. I've worked many check points. I've seen drivers almost run over officers handing out brochures about DUI. The drivers were DUI and charged.

I will try to unpack some of this, but first I want to Express how delighted I am to hear the Prosecutors in AZ are selfless individuals , serving the community at great personal cost. I have got to wonder though, where these selfless prosecutors were when AZ Child Protective Services was at its worst abusing families. The tramping on parental rights was legendary. Defense attorneys stopped that. Not all of us are blessed with such wise , benevolent public servants , immune to political pressure. For discussion I submit Kim Fox, prosecuter in the Jussie Smollett case. Personally I have met at least one prosecutor that is minutalitive sociopathic whore, willing to do anything to advance a career. I mean this literally. I first met Kamala Harris, a deputy district attorney for Alameda county in a courtroom in Oakland in 1992. Ask Willie Brown if you dont believe me.
Yes, Miranda can be complicated. A defendant saying he wants to remain silent mite not mean the same thing as he wants to be represented by an attourney. Yes, the investigator can keep talking, but he should stop questioning. Maby the defendents phone call can be listened to, maby not, was there an expectation of privacy ? All grounds for suppression of evidence, a judge decides, the jury will decide questions of fact. None of this is decided by the arresting officer.
Also you claim the statements i made about sleeping in a car or going thru a check point are in error. The original post questioned what happens when the person in contact with the police has consumed alcohol but is below the limit. Your arguments about physical control, (actual physical control where i worked) dont matter here, he wasnt drunk. Same as going thru a checkpoint. You inject They almost ran over someone , a different thing than rolling up to a checkpoint, he hands you his DL, insurance, registeration, and declines to answer your questions about where he has been, has he been drinking, ect. You mite think he has been drinking, truly believe it. Your hunch is not enough ,if you cant articulate a reasonable suspicion (ie:he ran over 2 guys and crashed into a tow truck)he is free to go.
As for private property, state laws vary and much has to do with the degree of public access to the private property. Certianly DUI laws apply to the parking lot at the grocery store. However, in many states , if you are out in the middle of your 1000 acre farm , completely fenced off, no public access, no trespass signs everywhere, you can be smashed as you want to and drive around, you can be suspended lic, you can race ect. Just dont hurt anyone.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
I was a juror on a fed trial where one of the charges was driving under the influence of alcohol and or drugs. Defendant was outside the car and acting erratically when LEO showed up. Open containers in the car. Defendant’s blood test at the police station about two hours post contact came back .05 with traces of MJ and LSD. The MJ and LSD amounts were at a level where usage was likely weeks prior. Govt. expert did the math and said defendant was probably .07-.08 when the LEOs showed up. Defendant beat the feds on the DUI. He was found guilty of the other charges. It was an interesting three days as a juror.

This is exactly the kind of thing i am talking about, and honestly i have seen to much of it. So, Its a criminal trial, the governments burden is to prove beyond a reasonable doubt , that a crime has been comitted. Then they call their own whitness,an expert that testifies, under oath, that in his professional opinion, the guy probably was guilty, or maby not. I am rather supprised here, for a group so enthusiastic about the 2nd ammendment, support for the 4th and 5th seems a bit lacking. As for the guys with 2000 plus DWI arrests and prosecutions with 1 or 2 acquittals, congradulations, an awesome achievement. I feel i am in the presence of greatness. I don't know what my statistics were , but they pale in comparison to that. Embarassingly so.