SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home Wifi Mesh Setup
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Wifi Mesh Setup Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
I purchased TP-Link Deco M5 for my house.

The question I have is around hardline ethernet. I have the entire house wired with Cat6, so every room has a port. All of these ports are wired to the homerun box where the modem and a switch are located. I figured tying in hardwire ethernet will help to increase speed/stability of the network.

I'm assuming one of the units will be plugged directly into the modem (or switch) via ethernet. However, i'm confused on the other 2 and how to work them with the hard line ethernet. Then we get into "router mode" vs "access point" with the M5s and now I'm confused. Would I put the first unit into "router mode" and the other 2 units into "access point" mode? The 2nd and 3rd units would be in other areas of the house, plugged directly into the ethernet.

I know I can just use the other 2 with wifi and no ethernet, but I have it in the wall, so why not use it to give each unit a hardwired boost?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
I have installed 2 Deco systems, both were M9 Plus

If you have a cable modem that does no routing/nat/firewall then leave them in Router mode.

Router/AP mode applies to the whole system - not single units.

For the one plugged into the modem also plug second port into your switch.

the remote ones plug a port into your wired jack.

I do not recall the adoption routine for wired units. It may be automatic or at least I expect the App to walk you through that.

Wired is almost always better then wireless back haul.

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
WHY would you buy MESH when you have your house well hardwired?
IF you need coverage because of physical limitations such as distance or objects then just plug an Access Point into each area.
Superior performance.
MESH is simply an alternative for multi-AP needs due to the inability to run wires.

Posts: 22916 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
From TP-Link:
quote:
When Deco system works in Router mode, the Main Router is a Router, other Deco units are similar to normal client devices, they are connected to the main Deco by wireless or Ethernet.

When Deco system works in Access Point Mode, there has to be a main Router in front of the main Deco, providing Internet. In this case, the main Deco and other Deco units are basically equal, they are clients of the main Router.

So based on what eyrich said and the quote above, I'll be using Access Point Mode?

They start to lose me at "the Main Router is a Router". WTF writes this stuff?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
IF you need coverage because of physical limitations such as distance or objects then just plug an Access Point into each area.
Superior performance.
MESH is simply an alternative for multi-AP needs due to the inability to run wires.

Phones and laptops. The hardwire was for stationary systems such as PCs, TV streaming devices, game consoles, and other things that require more speed but don't have to be moved around. We designed the house, so I figured hardwire ethernet would be a handy option to maximize flexibility.

The MESH will correct some dead spots in the house I've noticed with mobile devices. Plus, the MESH will be used (eventually) to extend to other structures next to the house that do not have or need ethernet hardwiring, such as a shop.

You say to plug an access point into each area. Isn't that what I'm doing? Each MESH unit would be an access point plugged into an ethernet wall jack.

The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
You should have the system in router mode - UNLESS you have a different (not Deco) router that plugs into your cable modem.

if all you have is cable modem (that is not doing router functions), switch, and the Deco units then use router mode.

quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Superior performance.

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
Word. All I currently have is the ISP provided modem/router combo. I was planning to just turn off the wifi portion of it. Obviously, it isn’t strong enough to saturate the house with a good signal anyway.

The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
If the modem/router combo has wifi (meaning it is also acting as a router):
Then you should turn off the WiFi on the provided system and then enable AP mode on the Deco

quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Word. All I currently have is the ISP provided modem/router combo. I was planning to just turn off the wifi portion of it. Obviously, it isn’t strong enough to saturate the house with a good signal anyway.

Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I just setup a Deco 5 at work. The first unit gets hardwired to the modem. I ran Cat5 between the first and second and have the third running wireless but will hardwire them as soon as I have time. From what I read you set them up wirelessl and the hardwire them.

Posts: 3459 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post