SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New iPhone new Apple ID need to transfer photos
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New iPhone new Apple ID need to transfer photos Login/Join 
posted
Ugh.

Bought daughter new phone to replace old iphone. It is an Xr from a 6s. She is a freshman in college now and doesn’t want her pictures and stuff commingling with me and her moms stuff.

Apple is vague when you call them. So far we have changed her phone over to her new Apple ID but the vast majority of pictures didn’t make it. We have an iCloud and iTunes backup under my Apple ID.

Just want to somehow push about 4000 pictures from an iTunes account or the iCloud, whichever is easier, to her phone. The pictures aren’t lost. They are on her MacBook, my phone, my iPad, just not on her phone where apparently the world might stop spinning if they aren’t on her phone. Oh the travails of being 18. But the iCloud and iTunes are under my Apple ID. First time I truly am starting to hate Apple.

Any guidance.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
This is what I usually do when changing to a newer iphone.

I use iTunes to back up old phone. Transfer sim card then restore the backup to new phone.

Everything on my old phone transfers over. Even text messages.

Went from 4s to 6s to 7+ and now xs max. My 4s photos from forever ago are still on my current phone.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8034 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Problem here is she wants and now has her own Apple ID. If she had stayed on ours the transfer worked.

I guess there is no elegant solution for a young adult separating from parents Apple ID.

So now I’m just looking for trick way to load pictures onto her iPhone short of airdrop. Using airdrop for a butt load of pictures would suck.

Personally I think she should just move on. She will have another 4000 pictures in no time but apparently that isn’t the right answer. Lol

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
On her MacBook, sync the photos from it to her iCloud (hopefully she has enough storage on it),

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201313

then sync iCloud to her phone.

Your phone to her phone/Macbook - Shared Albums:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202786

One of you creates a Shared Album, then sends an invitation to the other.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4339 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
You can use airdrop between Apple devices. Not sure if that works, but works between my iPad and IPhone.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Export the photos to a folder on your computer. Put the photos onto a thumb drive and move them over to her computer.

Re-import the photos to her new computer/phone/Apple ID.

Basically, rather than trying to "share" your pictures with her, give her a copy of the photos that she can then import into her ecosystem as her own.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Just fire up iTunes on her Macbook, have her log into the store with her own ID, and sync the photos to the phone. Either use iCloud or even easier hook up the phone to the Macbook with a USB cable and sync that way.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10795 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bach up the photos to a Google Pictures account via the free app, then upload them to the new phone. Time consuming but once it's done it will update periodically and that option will be there next time.

Posts: 2552 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
She is 18 with a new phone which has enough computing capacity to put a man in orbit, tell her to figure it out.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5136 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
On her MacBook, sync the photos from it to her iCloud (hopefully she has enough storage on it),

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201313

then sync iCloud to her phone.

Your phone to her phone/Macbook - Shared Albums:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202786

One of you creates a Shared Album, then sends an invitation to the other.

Similar to this, but use Google Photos. Sync to the cloud and then download the app and you have access to all of your photos all the time without having them taking up all the space on your device.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha! I like the suggestion to have her figure it out. I am going to try some of these suggestions. Or at least point her in the right direction.

I am also going to separate our 16 year old from our apple ID for the same reason. He will be a lot easier though. Shocking right?

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Sandisc makes a memory stick for IPhone etc which also has a small app to accompany. You can transfer files easily onto it from old devices for use to transfer to new iPhones, Macs, and PC’s. I use a 64GB model for file overflow with my iPhone. Worth every penny.

Posts: 6018 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post