SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Classic deHavilland Dragon Rapide Crashes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Classic deHavilland Dragon Rapide Crashes Login/Join 
posted
I was at the Abbotsford Airshow yesterday, but left before this happened at about 5:30. I was looking at the Airshow website, and they were giving rides in the Rapide for ~$240, and in a TBM Avenger for ~$450. The plane was based out of Mukilteo, Washington. No fatalities, one critical, one serious.

https://aviation-safety.net/wi...e/wiki.php?id=214384

https://komonews.com/news/loca...-abbotsford-air-show

ABBOTSFORD, B.C. -- Five people were injured when a historic biplane crashed at the end of an airshow in British Columbia Saturday.

The 1930s era deHaviland Dragon Rapide biplane crashed shortly after takeoff around 5:30 p.m. just after Abbotsford Air show concluded, show officials wrote in a blog post.

Witness David Kent told CTV News in Vancouver the 1930s era biplane took off but began rocking from side to side adding its right wing then clipped the ground, sending the aircraft nose-first into the runway.

"It came to an instant stop and fortunately there were no flames," Kent told CTV.

All five on board were taken to a local hospital with one patient in critical condition, one in serious condition, and three others with non-life-threatening injuries, show officials said.

A team of investigators from Canada's Transportation Safety Board was on the way to the scene to investigate the crash. At this point, there is no word yet on the cause.

The plane was from the Historical Flight Foundation based in Mukilteo, which had been in Abbotsford to be part of the show.

The crash caused the closure of the Abbotsford Airport until 9 p.m. but it has since reopened. The air show was to proceed as scheduled on Sunday.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That’s a shame.

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
That's a classic.

Hope all the crew/passengers recover fully.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a large contingent who suggest that these airplanes should not be operated any more: due to their rarity they should be preserved and not placed at risk.

At times, I am inclined to agree.

Some can never be replaced.

That said, aircraft remain property, and property is owned, and owners may do with it as they will, for their own purposes.

I used to fly an old and rare bomber on fire missions; some suggested the airplanes should be retired because of the risk of losing them. They were still working, doing what they were built to do: bomb things at low altitude. They were owned, not public property, and they were still earning their keep. That's how I felt. Sometimes I still do.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some years ago, took a ride at an air show in a Ford Tri-Motor. Wonderful old machine. Great memory.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, I was there too but left before the crash, good show!

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
One of the most beautiful planes of the 30’s; IMO more lovely than the Staggerwing Beech.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
The DR here at the 'Classic Wings' collection at IWM Duxford crashed a few years back, when the pilot 'forgot' he was flying a tail-dragger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFLLPUT6NIw

It was totally rebuilt over a period of around five years to like-new.

Having flown in it both before and after, I can vouch for the fact that flying in an old aircraft like this, where you can watch the rudder and tail-plane controls working from your seat, is a whole new experience not to be missed, if can get to one. It is just pure music to listen to, and eyeball candy to watch those beautiful elliptical wings making patterns in the damp air...

tac

Posts: 11327 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
; some suggested the airplanes should be retired because of the risk of losing them. They were still working, doing what they were built to do: bomb things at low altitude.

Seeing a B-17 or P-51 in a museum is like seeing a stuffed lion or bear in a museum.

Seeing a B-17 or P-51 fly at an airshow is like seeing a lion or bear in a zoo. It is an ENTIRELY different experience, when you can see one with the engine(s) running up on the ramp, taxiing past (smelling the exhaust as the wind whips at your face and clothes), and roaring by a hundred feet off the ground.

It is even MORE amazing to fly in one of these magnificent beasts; sort of like seeing lions and bears in the wild killing a zebra or caribou. . .

I am all for flying these planes. Accidents happen, but I would hate to see the day when these treasures are forevermore stuck in a dusty museum, never to fly again.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

more lovely than the Staggerwing Beech.
Blasphemy!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post